Resort fun on the cheap

MightyDuck001

DIS Veteran
I'm just back from a week at the BoardWalk (on my DVC points) with one night at the Beach Club at the start of the trip. I'm always looking for stuff outside the parks to do since I go down for the marathon weekend festivities and kinda want to chill and stay off my feet. I thought I'd share a few of the things I really enjoyed this trip that I'd never done before and am curious what other people enjoy outside the parks.

1. Trivia at Martha's Vineyard - M/W/F at 5pm
I heard about this on the Dis Unplugged and was excited to go with my friend. We had a blast, the questions weren't all Disney and we ended up winning a free appetizer and a 30 minute pontoon boat rental. It was from 5pm - 6:45 and definitely not geared towards children, which I also appreciated as someone who doesn't go with kids, but people still brought their kids. They accept tables in wonderland and had a good beer selection on tap--the food was limited but I loved the onion dip and chips and they have tater tots.

2. Paint Your Own Pottery
I didn't know you could do this but the Boardwalk Community Hall had it! And for the first time ever I can say it was something that was drastically more affordable in Disney than it was at home. the selection was limited, pottery pieces ranged from $5-$20, but there were no studio fees/hourly fees/paint fees. $20 and we painted our own Mickey shaped chips and dip plates and passed a few relaxing hours. The CMs even let us pick the Disney movie for the big screen tv. I even got a 10% discount off the price of the pottery as a DVC member. Just paint with at least 2 days before your check out (they fire them in a kiln at your resort). I'm told the Contemporary and Beach Club also have this an an onsite kiln.

3. Morning Yoga at Atlantic Dance Hall - M/W 8:15-8:45
Monday after the marathon I went to relaxing yoga at the Atlantic Dance Hall. It was an all levels class, so if you're looking to really bust out your yoga moves and show off this isn't for you but if you are looking to take some quiet, calm moments, breathe deeply, and stretch yourself out during your vacation this was great. The teacher was really nice and welcoming. A CM stood outside to help direct you to the yoga class, mats and water were provided with no charge. There was a sign in sheet asking for room number but I'm not 100% certain that if you dropped by from the Beach Club they'd turn you away. I showed up at 8:15 and had no problem walking right into the class--no lines, no wait, no crazy get there 4 hours before to stake your claim.

The weather wasn't conducive to hanging out in a lounge chair by the pool for most of the trip so I really enjoyed it. I had planned on doing mini golf but the weather was meh and I mostly just found myself wanting to sit somewhere quiet, NOT Crowded, and relax.

Thanks for this info!!! We are going to Beach Club in April for 10 days and will definitely check these out. Do you have to stay at Boardwalk to do the pottery?

do you have to be a DVC member or staying at BW to do the yoga or the pottery?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter