Resort Change by Disney

Yeah last week we booked one July night there and it was around 308 included taxes and fees for 3 adults so its gone up in the last week. Still cheaper using mariott points wise though
But points bookings are only available sometimes at those hotels. Suspect they aren't plentiful for July if rooms are going for that much!

(Jokes on Disney for not opening their own hotels if people are willing to pay those rates for Dolphin lol)

That would imply that the Dolphin is near their capacity at that time or the Marriott booking system is broken at the moment. With the NBA and MLS rumors / facts are floating around it might be almost full at a reduced capacity.

Dave
Which makes you realize, if swolphin is that booked, Disney must be really, really booked 🤔

Some unsolicited advice for all:

I think the most important thing to do with this information is nothing. As @HopperFan said, it can change, and knowing Disney, likely will change in some way.

Also, and I can't scream this loudly enough: MAKE THEM CANCEL YOU. You will almost certainly get nothing if you cancel, and there is a reasonable chance that they will make some sort of guest recovery offer if they have to cancel your vacation.

Finally, the plans for day 1 will likely be changed on the fly about 100 times. So if your vacation is in September or later like mine, just hang on.

SO MUCH THIS which is why I keep repeating myself that this is a fluid situation because there are SO MANY components to getting the resort open. Once Disney sees something working or not working, the plan can change again.

I only share this so everyone is prepared - nothing worse than getting a call and be caught off guard. Take this info, process it in regards to POTENTIAL affects to your stay and be ready for whatever comes down the pike. Have your questions ready !!!! If transportation options are important be sure you ask all those questions about what will be available (and take names so if that ends up not true), ask about dining options at your resort if dining there is important ......... I am only trying to prepare you for what MIGHT be happening during your trip so you are ready with all your questions.

AND if they call to cancel you - press for what they will offer you on an upcoming trip, I'm sure they are ready for that question, so be proactive.

A friend of mine was just contacted (3 CST give or take) by DW and told they are being moved from their booked CBR room (arriving on July 17th) to another DVC Resort. The person on the phone specifically stated it was due to the NBA coming in. I thought "hmmmmm" so googled NBA Disney World and see that the NBA owners just voted to start the season at DW July 31st.

All I've heard from multiple sources is that they are using CSR. I believe another CM posted that it is actually blocked on on their hotel schedule for them. NBA Reporters are saying CSR even as late as yesterday. And it makes sense, it is a much nicer resort, the new tower, lots of dining option, convention space that could handle work out equipment etc. And WAY MORE King beds than other moderates which they will need. AND it is a much more secure resort. If Riviera is open, CBR is not secure. The last thing NBA wants is fans wandering in to the resort.

I asked that question specifically - they were not given a choice.

This is consistent with reporting that guests will not be given a choice. I think it is because they are working hard on each reservation to see what they can fit where while maintaining their plan for the hotels. Allowing guests to choose is simply too big a complication.

Last edited:

We have a split dvc/non-dvc stay. I considered booking swolphin for the non-dvc but they’re wanting $700+ per night 😳 What the heck?!? Not sure any other offsite hotel will have any priority for getting in the parks.
Here’s screenshot to prove this ridiculousness:

View attachment 499084

Do you think they are taking advantage of a supply and demand situation?

~ If Disney is accepting no new reservations, and people say have APs or tickets linked but don't want to wait for Disney to open booking to them ... perhaps they are filling the S/D banking they will be included in the reservation system over all other offsite.

~ I heard a Disney Springs hotel employee state they haven't even been contacted about returning to work. So I wonder if they will open when WDW opens.

@HopperFan do you think there’s any chance ‘Ohana reopens? It’s one of our favorites and we look forward to it every year.
We’ll be there July 13-23 so just wanted your thoughts.
Cape May is another favorite but I suppose it doesn't stand a chance.:guilty:

Thanks!

Ugh, I can already feel Disney trip attempt #3 slipping away (cash stay Riviera 7/17-7/24). No more back-up trips for us. If Disney doesn’t do the work to make it right for us, we’ll just call it and do something non-Disney. My Disney spirit is an inch from being broken at this point. Hopefully they cancel us so I can use that as ammo to request a refund on our AP renewals.

Do you think they are taking advantage of a supply and demand situation?
Definitely. They have to be. We have only stayed at swolphin on points but cash prices were always about $250. This is like price gouging but I guess it’s legal 🙄

We have a split dvc/non-dvc stay. I considered booking swolphin for the non-dvc but they’re wanting $700+ per night 😳 What the heck?!? Not sure any other offsite hotel will have any priority for getting in the parks.

View attachment 499084
For a couple bucks more you could just get the Four Seasons.

@HopperFan do you think there’s any chance ‘Ohana reopens? It’s one of our favorites and we look forward to it every year.
We’ll be there July 13-23 so just wanted your thoughts.
Cape May is another favorite but I suppose it doesn't stand a chance.:guilty:

Thanks!

I have no info regarding restaurants .... I can guess if you want ... talking it out loud ... :goodvibes

Disney has a big decision to make regarding all-you-can-eat. Buffets will likely change the most but Ohana is brought to your table so that is an advantage. The character breakfast is out, we know that. Will they continue to offer breakfast? Pretty sure it didn't exist before there was a character meal. Dinner? Can they make enough money to open it with it being a reduced capacity? Depends on what the Orange County rules are for restaurant capacity at the time. Kona is certainly not big enough with social distance to feed people so I think they will need it. AND they do offer the room service meal so I think it's possible that offering that and dining room is something they should work towards.

Cape May ........ can it work with full table service? Shift the meal to family style. Probably with some extra staff since they already bring you crab legs. I can see dinner opening with a new format. Breakfast, no characters. Will they bother with family style breakfast? Maybe given all the guests they have around the lake and the food options there are more limited.

But will all this be open the time you are there? I think you watch how they are handling the DVC bookings around the lake, and I think they could have these dining options open by your trip. If Disney is going to have reduced capacity in dining rooms, they will need more dining rooms or amp up their quick service or folks will go off property to spend their money.

Which makes you realize, if swolphin is that booked, Disney must be really, really booked 🤔
Just a reminder that Marriott booking system uses a dynamic pricing model so as the number of available rooms drop the price per room goes up. It also does this when the Marriott system is not feeling 100%.

Dave

Definitely. They have to be. We have only stayed at swolphin on points but cash prices were always about $250. This is like price gouging but I guess it’s legal 🙄
My guess is that they have a capacity of about 15% of their normal total that Disney will allow for park reservations, so for those last few limited rooms they will try to get whatever they can.

View attachment 499084
Now I know why they were so willing to refund my prepaid reservation 8/3 thru 8/7 when I booked at $175 per night! o_O

View attachment 499084
For a couple bucks more you could just get the Four Seasons.
I stand corrected the Four Seasons is WAY cheaper

I have no info regarding restaurants .... I can guess if you want ... talking it out loud ... :goodvibes

Disney has a big decision to make regarding all-you-can-eat. Buffets will likely change the most but Ohana is brought to your table so that is an advantage. The character breakfast is out, we know that. Will they continue to offer breakfast? Pretty sure it didn't exist before there was a character meal. Dinner? Can they make enough money to open it with it being a reduced capacity? Depends on what the Orange County rules are for restaurant capacity at the time. Kona is certainly not big enough with social distance to feed people so I think they will need it. AND they do offer the room service meal so I think it's possible that offering that and dining room is something they should work towards.

Cape May ........ can it work with full table service? Shift the meal to family style. Probably with some extra staff since they already bring you crab legs. I can see dinner opening with a new format. Breakfast, no characters. Will they bother with family style breakfast? Maybe given all the guests they have around the lake and the food options there are more limited.

But will all this be open the time you are there? I think you watch how they are handling the DVC bookings around the lake, and I think they could have these dining options open by your trip. If Disney is going to have reduced capacity in dining rooms, they will need more dining rooms or amp up their quick service or folks will go off property to spend their money.
Thanks so much for your reply!! I’m also thinking Disney is going to have to increase dining availability. I don’t think quick service is going to get it. I’m certainly not giving up hope. Thanks again!!

I've read back several pages but there is something I don't understand. I am booked (thru Disney, not DVC) for Riviera at the end of August. I see people writing their cash reservations may be cancelled by Disney. Isn't Riviera opening? Or is there some indication that they will cancel reservations there without moving guests?

My guess is that they have a capacity of about 15% of their normal total that Disney will allow for park reservations, so for those last few limited rooms they will try to get whatever they can.

Well that's not very magical... :rotfl:

We are booked at Pop starting on July 27. We paid with all gift cards so if we are canceled, we are stuck until next summer because all of our vacation funds are in gift cards. I start school the end of the summer to get my Masters so I don’t know that I can really afford to take off and head to Disney even if I could pull my kids out of school. So I am definitely praying to be moved and not canceled!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter