• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resort Areas: MK resorts vs. EPCOT resorts

cinmell

DIS Veteran
If you stay onsite, which area do prefer to stay in, MK or Epcot? I like the MK resorts because I like being close to the MK and on the monorail. The only Epcot resort I've stayed in is CBR. We are considering Beach Club Villas for our upcoming stay and we've never stayed there before. I know you can take the boat and walk from the Beach Club area to the Studios and Epcot. How long are the walks to each of these parks and how would you rate the boat transportation in this area?

Last Sept was the first time we stayed at an Epcot Resort - (Yacht Club), and we loved it. Epcot is a 5min walk from the Beach Club and I would say a 15min walk to MGM.

We would get up in the morining walk over to the bakery at the Boardwalk and enjoy our coffee as we walked to the park.

Denise

We have stayed BWI and Poly, thought both were super but... it would be hard for us to go back to a monorail resort after staying at Epcot area. The Poly was great when our kids were very young as we mostly did MK, it was very convienent. But last year we tried BWI and our now older kids (6 and 9) loved the area. There was more to do in the evening with the BW and Epcot right out the door. We walked in and out of Epcot, maybe a 5 min. walk. We took the boat to and from MGM and found it to be just fine even after Fantasmic. The bakery on the BW is not to be missed if you do stay in that area... everything we had from there was sooooo yummy.:D

I like the Epcot Resort area best. BUT, by that I mean YC/BC, Boardwalk, Swan/Dolphin area. That's what I consider the TRUE Epcot resort area because it's within walking distance to World Showcase. The Boardwalk area is lots of fun, there is Fantasia Minature Golf, and if you stay at my fave, YC/BC, you get Stormalong Bay. What more could you ask for?

We've stayed at Contemporary and Grand Floridian and I did love the monorail but if you stay at the one of the above resorts you can walk or take a boat to two parks...Epcot and MGM. Technically 3 because you can take the monorail from Epcot to MK. I think if we had kids I'd probably prefer the MK resort area.

PamNC
Wish I were there!!!

If your plans revolve mostly around the Magic Kingdom, then that is the area you want to stay in. Although we enjoy the Magic Kingdom, the convenience of having Epcot and the Studios nearby is why we love the Epcot resorts. With our son now twelve he likes rides like TOT and RNR and Test Track. Of course, he stills likes Space Mountain and Big Thunder, along with a number of others at the MK. But nothing beats being able to walk to two parks (or take the boats). The Boardwalk area has so much to offer, in my opinion, it can't be beat.

We prefer the Epcot resorts. We love the Swan and Dolphin. The staff is excellent and they offer many nice amenities. We really enjoy their breakfast buffet. CBR is one of our favoraite overall resorts. There is a great view of the Epcot fireworks and the resort is absolutely beautiful during the warmer months with the flowers blooming. It also has a really nice beach area. The plus for staying at YC/BC/BSI/Swanand Dolphin is the boat to Epcot and MGM, andthe ability to take a leisurely stroll into Epcot. You can also easily take the monorail from Epcot to MK.

All that said, we have also stayed at the Contemporary and it is truly a disney experience to stay there. Also, the Polynesian is just a wonderful experience overall. We have actually gone and stayed at the Poly and not even gone into a park. The pool is great. O'hana is fantastic, and the Luau should not be missed.

Ok, I'll balance things up here (or just provide an alternative point of view!).

I like the MK resort area. Particularly I like staying at WL, but would not be averse to staying at the Poly or perhaps at CR. I would not stay at GF... too stuffy for my liking (yes, I have visited it).

What I feel is that for the price you pay for some (nay all) of the Epcot resorts, there is very little privacy and all the resorts are backed onto each other. I like having a little niche that is my resort. Also MK resort areas are quieter, and you don't have a lot of tourists hanging around that don't actually stay in the resort as you do on Boardwalk. Last time I was there, there was a big party/karaoke kind of thing in Boardwalk and it just took over the place: I couldn't imagine trying to get some sleep in the hotel with all the noise.

On the transportation issue, this one always seems to puzzle me and maybe I am missing something here, but when I visited the Swan and BWI a year or so ago and then tried to get back to MK I firstly waited ages on a bus, and then it stopped at EVERY other Epcot resort. I didn't think at the time that it was particularly good service for such expensive resorts. Obviously you can walk to Epcot, but I wouldn't think you'd always want to walk to MGM. Also the Friendship boats are quite slow to load and move LOL so it could be a thought just going to the park! In contrast we found WL launch to MK a breeze and quite zippy actually.

I think I've prattled on for long enough to attempt to balance the argument. Good thread by the way!

John :bounce:

Oh, and we're three adults (or BIG kids)!

Forgot to mention that Epcot is probably my favourite park too, in case you think I'm biased.

We love the Polynesian for going to both Epcot and MK. I video taped the trip from the Polynesian room over to the TTC and the ride to Epcot and it was faster to get from the Polynesian room to the Epcot entrance than it was for us to walk from the YC to World showcase. The difference between the two times was just a few minutes but in the early morning when Epcot opens, World Showcase is not open so it actually took about 8 minutes longer to get to the rides in the morning that is does from the Polynesian and when you are trying to get to Test Track to get a fast pass before they are all gone it makes a difference.

I must add that I don't walk very slow and on the video tape we have there is no way we could have made it to the gates of WS in 5 minutes with out jogging.

Not that I doing think the Epcot resorts are not great but I think people have to understand the Polynesian is not just a quick trip to the MK but also to Epcot. The other MK resorts are not quite as fast or easy because you can not walk to the TTC from them.

Aloha

Steve

I would agree it is hard to believe but I have the video (with the clock on) to prove it. I must admit I was surprised. Someone asked me to prove it and I sent them a copy of the tape once.

Maybe tonight I will get the exact time from the room in Hawaii to Epcot and the room in the YC to the same point in Epcot (which would be the middle or future world and world showcase and show you the difference in exact time. ;)

Steve

I have stayed at 3 MK resorts (WL, GF, and Poly x2), and 2 Epcot resort (BWI and YC). I really like the locations of both resort areas. The WL was not nearly as convenient as the monorail resorts, so I prefer the GF and Poly to the WL. I enjoy using the monorail as a mode of transportation, and I also like that you can walk to the TTC from the Poly to get on the Epcot monorail if you're in a hurry. That being said, the 5 minute walk to Epcot from the YC and BWI was wonderful! We also used the path to Disney Studios (took about 20 min.) several times and thought that was convenient too. Ideally, I like to split my trips between a monorail resort and an Epcot area resort so I can get the best of both worlds. If I can't split my stay, then I try to choose resort locations based on the park I will be spending the most time in.

I would agree it is hard to believe but I have the video (with the clock on) to prove it.
I have never timed it so I will take your word for it!! :)
All I know is we had Ps for Cape may one night for 8:00 we walked out of World showcase at 7:50 and made it to Cape may about one minute before our time.
But we were walking at a fast pace I only have one speed "hurry" lol :)

I know you are not arguing with me. This is a great discussion :) . Now Cape May is in the Beach club right? That seems about right about a 10 minute walk from world showcase. Now add on going from the far end of the YC to the World Showcase and it is about a 12-15 minute walk. Well the time from the Hawaii longhouse to the TTC was just about a 5 minute walk on tape and the ride was about an 7 minute ride so they are very close but the big part for us was like I said above that in the morning the World Showcase is not open so you have to walk from the YC to Future World and it took much longer than going from the Polynesian room to the rides at Epcot. My main point is that being at the Polynesian makes access to Epcot just as easy as staying at one of the Epcot resorts in my opinion and people are always told that they should only stay at the Polynesian if they are going to the MK a lot.

Aloha

Steve

You are a good guy Tikiman!! :)I like that you didnt get mad and think I was trying to fight with you! Yes Cape May is in the lobby of the Beachclub.
I think that all the resorts Mk or Epcot are really convient!! :)
We even walk through Epcot When staying at (Y OR B) and take teh monorail to MK!! Now I know this is not the fastest way to go but we just enjoy the walk!! :)
So Cinmell I would say it is all in Personal preference which hotel to pick!! You will love being onsite!! :)

Thanks for your opinions everyone, you responses are great!! I love the MK area and the monorail is great. My husband is the one who wants to try the Beach Club area for our upcoming trip in May but I think I'll miss the MK area, especially since we are travelling with our two year old daughter. From the first time we stayed onsite, we've never stayed offsite, we never even consider it. Then we began staying on the monorail loop and I'm having a hard time leaving that!!!!

Mahalo Tnkrbell,

I always enjoy your posts. I agree, going from the YC through Epcot and to the monorail to get to the MK is a fun way to go which brings up something, Many want to know the fastest and easiest way to get somewhere but I like the most interesting way to get to other places. That is the best part about WDW. There are so many great things to see on the way to something else. When looking at it that way I think the walk from the YC is a more fun walk. I must say it is nice to be close to one of our favorite restaurants the Flying Fish. Maybe if we all need to stop rushing around WDW and enjoy everything that is around us. Who knows what you miss when running from one ride to the next.

Aloha

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter