Requesting extra toaster in villa (daughter has Celiac disease)

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
My daughter has Celiac disease -at home we need to use a different toaster for her to minimize contamination. We are staying at Treehouse Villas. Is it reasonable to request a separate (new) toaster that she can use while the rest of us use the one that's already there?

I don't know how big the toaster is, but we have a microwave that we take with us when going on vacation. We go with Southwest which gives us 2 free luggage, so we put the microwave in one of the suitcases and check it in. We keep it in the original box with the Styrofoam so that way it doesn't get damaged while traveling.

I would just buy and pack a new toaster that will always be only for her. Keep it in the box for protection. They are small and light enough you could even put in carryon for more protection.
I would do this also. However, I would not leave it out when you leave the room for the day. I would put it back in the box and put it out of sight, for two reasons. One, you wouldn’t want the housekeeper to take it, thinking you had two by mistake, and two, you wouldn’t want the housekeeper to cross contaminate it during the room cleaning.

The easiest thing to do might be ship a cheap one to your room. A basic Hamilton Beach toaster can be as low as $7-$10. SSR might have a new toaster to help you but what if they don’t.

My daughter has Celiac disease -at home we need to use a different toaster for her to minimize contamination. We are staying at Treehouse Villas. Is it reasonable to request a separate (new) toaster that she can use while the rest of us use the one that's already there?
We usually pick up a cheap new toaster when we get our groceries, since we have a rental car. Publix and Walmart have had inexpensive ones. When leaving, we put it back in the box with a label indicating that it has only been used for gluten free toast and leave it for housekeeping to do whatever they like with it.

I would do a grocery shop, either in person or delivery, and include it there. I think it’s the only way to guarantee it being new. Maybe get an owners locker for it?

I would not count on getting a "new" toaster as in one never used before. My neighbor also needs separate appliances in her home due to celiac so I would imagine getting a toaster is not an issue, but one that has never had gluten in it would be impossible.

My suggestion would be a toaster bag that you can use. It's how some celiacs use foreign toasters and rave by them. I personally haven't used it but I rarely use a toaster anyway.

I used the oven at OKW to toast my gf bagel. It took more time but no risk of contamination.

I don't know how big the toaster is, but we have a microwave that we take with us when going on vacation. We go with Southwest which gives us 2 free luggage, so we put the microwave in one of the suitcases and check it in. We keep it in the original box with the Styrofoam so that way it doesn't get damaged while traveling.
I don’t mean to be rude but I’m so curious about traveling with a microwave. Is it for food allergies as well?

I don’t mean to be rude but I’m so curious about traveling with a microwave. Is it for food allergies as well?
Hi, and it is no problem asking. We only eat Kosher food which is very difficult to get in certain places, so we bring along our own Kosher food which is freeze dried and heat it up in the microwave.

Travel with my sister who has Celiac; when she has asked for a new toaster at DVC resorts it has never been an issue once the CMs fully understood the request. She's basically made the switch to the toaster bags @Eeyore daily mentioned, however, since it's much easier when traveling internationally. We were at Aulani in January and she just brought the bags with her. No cross-contamination issues with those so far 🤞

Our experience: We thought our toaster wasn't working (turned out it was the outlet that needed to be reset) so we requested a replacement and were given a brand new one, still in the box. I bet they have a supply of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter