Request experiences using Southwest Airlines with a wheelchair & buying 2-seats for a solo obese tra

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
Has anyone every used Southwest Airlines that have their own wheelchair stored under the plane with their luggage bought two seats for being obese.

Request experiences using Southwest Airlines with a wheelchair & buying 2-seats for a solo obese traveler.

I was curious if they handled your personal wheelchair in an undamaging manor. My electric wheelchair is new, foldable, weighs 55-pounds, and I have bought a protective airline cover for it.

I don't own a car and I travel solo.

I own my own electric wheelchair that I roll to the gate to be loaded on the Delta flight.

Also, has anyone ever bought two seats next to each other for just one person? I am obese and I am considering flying Southwest Airlines and buying two seats for myself.

I usually fly Delta out of Atlanta, Georgia, and I buy the first class seatfor the larger sitting area, but I am considering using Southwest.

I have flown a few times on SWA, but with a travel-sized mobility scooter, not a full-size chair. They take it right at the door of the plane. It was already a few years old the first time I flew with it, so I don't know whether any of the scuffs on it were put there by SWA, but I've never had any serious damage. On recent flight, I did get a bit of hassle: the ticket agent told me to go straight to the gate, and the gate agent then scolded me for not having the scooter inspected at the ticket counter. The gate agent did the inspection, but he was not happy about it.

SWA has a unique policy for what they call "customers of size". Anyone wider than the distance between the armrests can purchase 2 seats. You simply purchase the 1st seat under your own name, and the 2nd seat under your name with the letters "XS" added after your middle name. It's all explained on the web site. Here's the unique part: after your trip is complete, you are entitled to a full refund on the 2nd seat. You just need to call the phone center to request it. One time there was a problem and I had to follow up, but usually it just showed up as a credit on my credit card within a few days after I made the request.

Either the chair or the extra seat entitles you to preboard, so you can choose 2 seats that work for you near the front of the plane.

I have flown a few times on SWA, but with a travel-sized mobility scooter, not a full-size chair. They take it right at the door of the plane. It was already a few years old the first time I flew with it, so I don't know whether any of the scuffs on it were put there by SWA, but I've never had any serious damage. On a recent flight, I did get a bit of hassle: the ticket agent told me to go straight to the gate, and the gate agent then scolded me for not having the scooter inspected at the ticket counter. The gate agent did the inspection, but he was not happy about it.

SWA has a unique policy for what they call "customers of size". Anyone wider than the distance between the armrests can purchase 2 seats. You simply purchase the 1st seat under your own name, and the 2nd seat under your name with the letters "XS" added after your middle name. It's all explained on the web site. Here's the unique part: after your trip is complete, you are entitled to a full refund on the 2nd seat. You just need to call the phone center to request it. One time there was a problem and I had to follow up, but usually, it just showed up as a credit on my credit card within a few days after I made the request.

Either the chair or the extra seat entitles you to preboard so you can choose 2 seats that work for you near the front of the plane.

Hi, joelkfla. Thank you for your reply.

I read that info about the possibility of the extra seat refund if the plane wasn't full. I am not sure about the full plane part.

I have only been on the SouthWest website a few times.

I noticed when I was making my December 2019 Delta ticket reservations to Orlando, the flights weren't available at that time.

I may be mistaken, but I think that the Southwest Airline ticket availability only comes out about five to six months in advance. I have a history of making resort reservations and airline ticket purchases about a year in advance so I may have to change my thinking when it comes to possibly book with Southwest Airlines.

I think that I read that Southwest Airlines does not have reserved seating like Delta.

I also don't quite understand the different..whatever...extras that can be purchased with the airline ticket.

They check my electric wheelchair when I check my luggage at the Delta Counter.

I go through TSA Pre-check and remove everything from my electric wheelchair and put it in the different baskets to be x-rayed and/or examined by the TSA staff.

I carry an armrest bag that carries things that I use often. I carry my backpack onboard the airline that contains all of my medical equipment, C.P.A.P. machine, medication, chargers, wiring, accessories, and laptop.

After that, I roll over to a bench and put everything back on my wheelchair.

I roll to the Delta Gate and fold up my electric wheelchair and cover it for the Delta staff to pick up at the Delta Jetway door before I enter the plane.

nWmXR43zKK3cZYwH-e6Vhal785p3tXFvbbMzEHMLAQ8QRn3x1KQzXOWbmUggyfx4QPHtHAo_U7f5OR4rknTzGLAz9BQL3rOCalbcl2qblkrmcxYFoJNkmg8gUrkNryW9BY6W_hIAOuWJTYNnDT8ZE0Vw7rYiDrC6RkvCX1jlCAk6hvRFlpbMJfiKRmqjq8-EG9XnJXL9Dsn38CR2h5KGrhO_8kRyzLk2ruGwDN3VMBNo6OGhgPPJfo_i-dibCNLvWYHlkE9IzZoZ7BAvSahUFXibR15BgpJiuLBHQSI2LXsVCSc5C1foHjHkHtn3-427vdXAFvrvfnebm_8gICgiRPLxGk-OJYD4wlOf2Fa6wdPccanwmfDpypjFHbGiLPjt_0-dk8irlaTILNcGgNO5w39i-OK_55Rp9L-6_r6NQbjZkaN525DGwlRH6Bk_tbSRJ1rHphiu3DaMQe_X-7S4kzIeacH3U5mum-9ChkxSd3a4OfXEAugSd3nK5jfnoxx58ZrEmloh6-vaMl0QOOF4eII6EflswBHUoGA0wqtyP3Tz7imTds6yToZmDiwV2yWRiM69sJlyX-N8vkf4iZ3d9pmB2KLkNg1n1302dP5fR-6hz08-QN6-XV01-gaFaJCGA3kbn2VCc2hIAtJK2HL0Twx8fInwqHs=w544-h724-no

q3gXzmrf8xOo5vbmNcNmxlQeMJFg4Y-Ncjq6GFe-6uvlW2NbEPZrjToCP1YMEKLh0piRgqvtdogfESrI156UXAcaYpgPVjKzimHCvTnECM0bdlEmwhuqvTTbH6pWmtZIgdAG5jJ5ekB4lQt-pnwu5Kr6C1YXeNoTpiU7CtFUdd8Irqhv68QuPtrJVv6km0MtDB2B7JqWYL-bGVe9CEl2ZnuW7SSHIv-ReDYmeISa0iljtRc00MhrD3w94y11Z_KkgfvpqjdgJO1S0fqL4Al7ftx8M8LsG500aQ2unsiw1rFoUNA-YhWdkE9yJZstrg35O-hNd7myzORAVflzanXbJd_Yd-7koJ3mTDtFjzkfpqxFF31DXOYsIF5wJc086fwK8iDsdOd8lESZrICKYgCS6hjMD-e02MOHabKkjIpKLVmxQB90MqD3EVrj1GRFo8Jyzv5BWW6gt5R2V2tdNIkCiR_akIHIwo-70dPQ3G_LhyM-6bV39M1HczOk8xUIoC5QbI_QVeuH84Ty_tswo_EJuJ4vB-8gNxAEWv45W-Rgq0xQ_R4XyLcmXaA4klyeCK2XOXNt6kH36MgZOo-I7FYGF022ditJkoi5ARUXzyG8Dy64pIvc54ZkbFQBjJVpx3lPGedHZHlJTMafcAuiOJktzom4TSP56SM=w544-h724-no

3lQRi-kTcC9FeiVnsIcW-zi4Lh94rE1xlW04JGS-bEZIZK-IaJ2yWHQjJvQfoBZDZ2GUyV4T94ck-eOdZ-FhXeURfWr5GuqNHlndI4pinHwnBVfyI_eEh0h8EZ6ztWjXcCw6214s5xryVTOExME2rjys2DVCt52brLvzPHzAZIZplhGdu3yI17bPPVqAqpkhVLnjrz2WQy2yi3OrpbjNITUb0qT3wUT0ek9GdP_7vDWC12_Cwp_MbEjqDPoLH4YsbltfQyTBAuYjz0LRGUUNXRXpeIDc1KqFvkOi480F-DYDUPTp--a-41RQ-Yd-8nkoSzXfPye31vs2DkHE9tKO1kJK9lwo6W-ehAzwQeL4CdDl4dq6FqcFbP2oEw7rkOxMJMvV5AD0O9tgww3NJPDvMXvN4HpelyN00jU96OR4K7y61YCC4ND1vTEvXn1Ml7i66UYkvpcaY3Y3n61OuHj_AEO1Xq6INn76ld5dEdtcX2IPz2uJOSxZyKkIx7nmg7x_arYu2OfkmYPtSVhuEEK4U074ljzvwkKnK5OVY9gB-q_r6f-yRuZw68rC9lK7pMgUQSbvi1RVTRMnQYWQHPkdxYFDNa8y1kHdrhs_lz6Eo81PjS4e0zjvwP7GzkNxE2OitqHxojx2TpsQKa4N2MHHxJSh8ag0byA=w544-h724-no

bfWS0ZWgAvhkuRFnTuqfEr18fIRMLiASTWoXy0JCMIQLcY3AzOM9WFguai2FeNIbzvQPdpegT9zITAMkCb5-UnU9k9XUVTN3EqIyAGnCNxCtLLdLKPaEyhTTxvD4UYPQ3FAJ1duxjrMyI2lQ31aBEUa8jvuzPB-fJcOJQo6gTA2iJYE1mmiI055k1-vMjNSRJLz2ndwbdfColPgovIXU0t50R-POwdM_DJ8lIpfGhM8x1_ipkso6xYTzgVqE7U8YNYMeG2P6zSoz9mA6K9FjO-d1Jyz2T8YD0xgpBjuGwp-b6aeW9ZRvZ30z6lMzC08mv89mPop4IL2lwIwdMPja7Q5ejx8FGaEgUag178OnC45B3JY9Z5CaWBqyRiFx6nDyXILbeyYfFmSBgNwzpmHuuUprx1YmG-6sl6VBqMoxKgTufGrY0bXn5s7pwYw6Awoqw-XnYQeQUMcUiiqh7CGjtvhQyIr92VuPSWXZUMZd5uZOTslXr6rXYSwCgnxlSrj7eJPXG7r49LEunYvAcHqQHimHVNi6KDHwaNpcyZ1n4VM7x8G56v_M-hWN0DU4kyXStUlSdEojTsTABdFmyYg4jpKnwssof7IMnn2z2uFBM_UvEdksajgKaq4L-XoMEdJaEmGMbTyt3G_TqBW2UJR57S0o6AQs9sg=w544-h724-no

absPRgXVd-mErvq5YlGW0q7ztDf4RopF6nuFxpT2rc48yNOD46L2MaQTT3fQ2349utTHmXt_keQOqU5BEKDrI_G1ik_H9HJ3GuN-V3sbVoB6VHQQ6Bnsu8jiyON0mgqXcTFD6yjRHeWZUw_Z_5YtrJO8EXwCrjEETeYcC306wSEnatMo4ndNrvKB7CdAXsEnbbqFYvWbnF0Xxz7DZxThOhpAn9MzPHaKxKt33ckxVBFJ5TZpd-jiBMB5wdjIth2R0KRLciuXt5PX6X67O5l7iyiJhJ1BnxLJkIvoQm8f4LxaX1tHBgRzbPquGkrE7QW6vEo1vUgYu_8IGRDQ8DnIXyGZdL2-DWT4xPXr40g1zKx25j-MeLjduH7Ta5YIYKWkkxGxOzLGBDVpeDDeFHU6WOUbyH2WtXTHjwAFJL2-mPEaGctfPt-GNs99L0IqsSKq4g3UVuNkNHMFpSHGPcNCIrFtxW6iIdTraDPY_3er1vl6gRNdhsBzOF-zPdF-Ak37NxdrHU-xTQmEbk2-BaJeXtvTy5oBpQOKJN9TGvYclB8zptqHkYHK7rCZLGqPCivyH5wYmGSeaRjYBtxzjIwwfsqIVQmp0M5lISNRwSneQbKVhsGeZY_2K2SQDrgfWbbUtabVetDkF1XuBi4xLuRF91D050zgXX0=w544-h724-no

293-bo-_qJTnzQm9_5kHQ9KyR347XQT04GHh95Uqqixh5sxJTKM37Fzw5FIeSuVa_G8npnwy2tKnzw0MyvBZICBOpS1C9SHp12gYFaQFnX9ehNzUhzLB-5BgUHHcsOZ-Y3_unuQwAXFcKCCIa4ISyDND2T-ybNYjU4c4YbsCDFakGJUaU1Eir0V312yFqSM5B96_c53uSRLHewx6xBUpDugzqHVAFbMqXIvLZTnfiofm0FpmR71rzKuqL8gk-uQuIxDghoJCl0lC1jn7WmsFrOSH3zStcmFDBtUaPWH-AvngkEUjKPXr9WMJxWs58uiw25yKsT9VM1FK0w7ktbUBRod9oGYMobMvh_J0BWCebreTBgl4KWHeOlonXaR4OKV7ZOaDMWaVwu6is8jWLIbBLs-t3_eiXvKFETmCcV6oEh8LW-NSSfjdGBsMeUT7kAfsOaJUPJQtF0eeGuAufGYJ0EhHM4KSBrQT_16qRte2e6-GzZvEBX9EakmZkuWSn351ickB0NWJ__w228xMtjLbsHepTkpAl9dN5bhe18YZ9Qdc83IstBn-4pTYOvBBT4qs94hde3cGZ0VnHY9H7oWIZIk43zUeoFISpXjfFjwfYAl36yYj1LUg5rpR3cv3k1cYaqdTh-oPRIO1KtV5YfwB2DindB29m0c=w512-h319-no

ZTieqTDp0b0dkiT-PoqANGt5VEVHwGPAk0Q73r8SRZeSEKrnrlaj2d0-keuFfTumGU3w6KqTzYZeWAB3pz3xUc6z4Fn8EL432DV0THkPunkjJdrHORuZmcoBRYzSBxRsmlIA6Wb7q2w8dz-pgxOw-cWcsT4Q17Ah2IFFysAujlhBgOswXuICfykWN8tDLjFzosWNfCSQlqhFtwk9xGwAGs_y5dIj_6KqQc5kp8AXRJBadCFT8neHPt4pwdcU29qLNTjIuDEi6ktBQKGU9fOZJHzJjVR9AvpQfvaLCGe3UQRs2yDQTv3X7qMWDT9sWIKovHTDTo5kEg3vGHi8GfkMC1RnrSG2c7v6l5ENvaMBSNb07HnfAyngf6JXPx7oMLHbip_p3MSOvwtXA45gcVxePhpU0-LX5b66p9mPW15so9xowSNVZVJGWK5qGOz1lHMCXopyZYA9jX5ygCOLsiVucKGeJq3ejR9X4Ih7tyJmN0gx3jfV9byFBzL1Q9Mwvb4odkcIjrDnocLREnlhPPewPf-p1bF-egduC--2G3kvpbtDNqh-tiTQsBDpgGkLZnRbbRkn7FZ2KLv49bWHJlKGSR03k_dmAp5YScFgbPdITc5zxAFNWIHwXFNoHLRTgUzvvbiZemwDCuecHaChY-r3_RBSXk51xHE=w400-h432-no

-FW3LMWKiQNnMtUuubTT6PehuykX8YY39uw-lY8fQxCHQLTgvu69fKPP4JjnFAXpSoBEbmoF3uCJoDeAhHNaaXJw4BJggBQ5n9u_gWcr4kzybRHGSlWzNhxjHAayyJbpIfncGLUZ2Yi3BAFMM4rpvFTX1PhAfqvKwlsw3jmGg7Uxfb74w1h5SZVzGUvFEs0cNk66YrVww4zIfWN0FsaoAl24wwX4E5l5s_AZoe7He7BwSO7FIngpo_n4zDT-p0Y1oVaJFcuEZ8kd7vM5Ck9GqWT8NCNyQ1p0ReoJLgOdp3_DVro0gMIbKqRFoLAEBRQuh0gghyfJiZ_PftT4DgCZ_HD2XsJeMO9DmOjt9R2c63JbuIAX6m8dhu9_yQXS5TCcm6m3C76D5fA53wiFRnYTWxNkOdAnB_Es5DHYK1dyhq7fdOFSY16u9zn3ihVtj69X6DQj0Wjr2dXd_Kbzq88U5I_RmnfEKiAaAOUr8KuJA-Cp5kezDKJLtiWfM6-JPgRenQpWcM-_Bcu8el6Sj9yVNqwIIAVySbwgNAD6SwILPIPJF0J4C-ZYQ5phXoSOX2aOqYAorfHmpbbrBtiCu3t7KEoylZaCfgfnj9clJJtPi1uJmQgyj8i3aszS3AxV4dm0yLg1sCGBhOs5oxX2tIOJl6RhlUalOLw=w657-h449-no

Last edited:
Ray,

The way I read it, the refund doesn't matter whether the plane is full, as long as you reserve the extra seat. I think the part about the plane being full is talking about if you don't reserve the extra seat, but ask for it at the gate, which they say is an option. I believe SWA has a no-oversell policy, and the only time passengers with reservations get bumped is if there's a last-minute equipment change or need for crew transport. They request that you reserve the extra seat in advance to help with that policy.

SWA does not have assigned seats; it's one of the things that makes them different. Normally, passengers who pay extra will board first, and the rest board in order of time checked in (online), selecting seats once they're on the plane. But that doesn't matter to you, because you will be able to preboard before all able-bodied passengers if you have either a wheelchair or an extra seat. All the wheelchairs (there are usually several) are lined up in front of the podium as soon as they arrive.

I too check in at the ticket counter, just to make sure all the paperwork is in order, and they're ready for the scooter and the extra seat. (Of course I also let them know well before the flight date that I'll be traveling with the scooter.) As the web site says, you do need to get a document, something like an extra boarding pass, that says you have the extra seat reserved. (I think they can also print it at the gate, but I do it at the ticket counter to be safe.) When you get to your seat, you place this card on the seat next to you to alert those boarding behind you that the seat is reserved. At first I was afraid people might resent it, but I've had passengers looking at the seat thank me for being considerate.

I don't keep up with when ticket sales open, but I think there are several threads on here about it.

I haven’t taken a wheelchair with me but Southwest did something to my rollator walker. One wheel doesn’t sit on the ground anymore. I have not been able to figure out what the heck happened to it. I am starting to think they bent the frame by putting something heavy on top of it or throwing or something. It still works ok but one wheel just spins around in the air as I walk

I usually fly Southwest to Orlando because they are the only non-stop. Due to the size of the airport, I will sometimes utilize the wheelchair assistance from the check-in to the terminal. Carrying a backpack, CPAP, and trying to use a cane can be a handful sometimes. When traveling with family, I don't have to worry about the additional seat (we just put up the armrest between us). My first time traveling alone on Southwest, I asked at the gate desk if I could get a pre-board card (which I don't think they have anymore) since I knew I would need some extra time to get situated. The person was very polite and actually gave me the boarding pass for the second seat and explained how it worked. She also updated my return trip so that I would have the extra boarding pass. I was very fortunate as they did not charge me for the extra seat. The only hiccup was trying to use the airline check-in at my Disney resort. Since I had the extra boarding pass, it was messing up their system somehow. So I ended up checking in at the ticket counter at the airport instead.

We have traveled SW several times with DMIL who has taken a standard wheel chair and later her scooter. Both times we let SW know beforehand, and then again at the ticket counter. They never inspected it at the ticket counter. After security, we went to the gate, and they inspected the scooter and put a gate check tag on it. She can walk short distances, so she would give the scooter to them about half an hour or so before we started boarding and walk onto the plane when it was time to board. They took it down in an elevator, and when we landed, we got a wheelchair to push her from the plane into the terminal. They brought her scooter up an elevator for her there. We have never noticed any damage to it, but we did make sure to fold the seat down and take the basket off (I always carry a bag that it fits into) so it doesn't get broken.

I am quite impressed btw at how small yours folds up.

Thank you, everyone, for your explanations and experiences.

I have already bought my December 2019 WDW Delta Airline ticket in January 2019 after making reservations and requests with WDW.

I want to try Southwest Airlines on a future trip this year when I make a decision of when and where.

I might have to do a few more things for Southwest Airlines than I would with Delta Airlines.

Call Customer Support and Services at (800) I-FLY-SWA (800-435-9792).
Inform the Representative that you are familiar with our Customer of size policy and wish to proactively purchase two seats.
We will offer our lowest fare available. If an advance purchase, discounted fare (i.e., Wanna Get Away Fare) is booked, the second seat will be sold at the same discounted fare.

I only have to buy one seat with Delta, but it is nice if Southwest refunds the second seat later.

Online Booking Instructions for proactively purchasing an additional seat(s) on Southwest.com
Click "Air."
Select your city pair(s) and travel date(s).
In the "Passengers" field, indicate the total number of seats needed by selecting that number of adults. (For example, if one Customer of size requires two seats and is traveling with one other adult in his/her party, select "3 Adults.")
Proceed through the "Select Flight" and "Itinerary and Pricing" pages.
Complete the "Who's Flying?" name fields for a Customer of size as follows:
Customer with a middle name
A Passenger named Tom James Smith would designate Passenger One as "Tom James Smith," and Passenger Two as "Tom James XS Smith" (first name Tom, middle name James XS, and last name Smith).
Customer without a middle name
A Passenger named Tom Smith would designate Passenger One as "Tom Smith," and Passenger Two as "Tom XS Smith" (first name Tom, middle name XS, and last name Smith).

Customers of size must obtain a Seat Reserved Document from the Customer Service Agent at the Gate to obtain a Reserved Seat Document and Refund Advice Slip for the additional seats purchased.

I don't have to do this with Delta Airlines since I try and buy a First Class seat in the front row of the plane. I can sit in a 17-inch width seat without problems, buy my chest and upper arms are wider than the width of my hips and waist. I know weird. I just don't want to invade another passenger's space.

...must see a Customer Service Agent to receive the required documents and be eligible for a refund after the flight...

I don't have to do this with Delta Airlines.

On occasion, federally mandated procedures may prevent our ability to issue a Security Document online. Under these circumstances, please see a Southwest Customer Service Agent at the airport for assistance.

I have never had to do this with Delta Airlines, but I can see where it could also happen.

Customers with disabilities are not required to provide advance notice of the need for assistance; however, doing so helps us better prepare for the number of Customers who will need our help.
We give Customers the opportunity to proactively notify Southwest Airlines of any specific disability-related needs during and after booking on Southwest.com. When booking a new reservation, Customers may use the “Special Assistance” link on the Passenger & Payment Info page to indicate that he/she requires assistance. When booking online, Customers may notice that there is a link (identified with a question mark) that directs the user to the details of our policies for assisting Passengers with disabilities. After the Customer has selected his/her option(s), the Customer should scroll down and complete the booking process.

I can do this online with Delta Airlines and I print out the form with all of my information about myself and my electric wheelchair specifications for size, Lithium-Ion batteries, etc.

Customers may also advise us of any disability-related travel needs at the time of booking by telephone or, if a reservation has already been made, by calling 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792) prior to travel.

I do this anyway even though I filled out the form. I am surprised that Delta Airlines doesn't have the form online to read, so I have a copy to read at the Delta Checked Baggage Check-in if I am asked questions.

They usually asked the dimensions of my wheelchair for their airline door entrance requirements. I have to tell them that it folds up to 30-inches high, 24-inches wide, and folded front to back only 13-inches.

They also ask what kind of battery and I say, dry and it is a Lithium-Ion encased in the wheelchair frame and 6.5 Grams of Lithium.

Boarding and on the Aircraft
Customers of size who have an Extra Seat Boarding document may choose to preboard in order to select seats that best meet their needs or they may choose to board in their boarding group and position.

I do this with Delta Airlines since I use a wheelchair and I see Southwest Airlines does the same for wheelchair users. I really don't think that is fair to board early for just being overweight and buying two seats. But I guess since Southwest Airlines doesn't have reserved seating like Delta Airlines they may have to do this. I don't know. That is just my opinion.

We recommend that Customers arrive at the airport no later than the recommended airport arrival time. If traveling with a power wheelchair, in the event that we need to prepare the wheelchair for storage, we may ask that Customers relinquish his/her power wheelchair up to an hour in advance of departure. In this case, the Customer will be transferred to an airport wheelchair until boarding begins.

I like to drive my own wheelchair to the gate so that I can sit down and prepare my wheelchair for storage.

Wheelchair assistance is available from the airport curb to/from gates and between gates for connecting flights. Note: Because we have no means to identify Customers who require assistance on sight, Customers who have requested assistance must identify themselves as needing our help upon arrival to the airport, at any connection points, and upon arrival to their destination.

Sometimes I need this from the Gate waiting area to the plane door entrance depending on my situation for that day. And also at the arriving airport. I can't stand in the airline jetway and reassemble my wheelchair because I can stand or bend over or squat for that long without sitting down. So I ask them to roll me up to any Gate chair so I can take my time to put my wheelchair back together and situate everything before leaving.

Preboarding is available for Customers who have a specific seating need to accommodate their disability and/or need assistance in boarding the aircraft or stowing an assistive device. If a Customer with a disability simply needs a little extra time to board, we will permit the Customer to board before Family Boarding, between the “A” and “B” groups. Those Customers who need extra time to board will receive a new boarding pass with an extra time designation. The designation serves as notification to our Operations (boarding) Agent that the Customer should be permitted to board before Family Boarding.

Customers should request preboarding from our Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter or departure gate. Our Agents are trained to ask factfinding questions to determine if the Customer meets the qualifications described above. Those Customers who qualify for preboarding will receive a new boarding pass with a preboarding designation. The designation serves as notification to our Operations (boarding) Agent that the Customer should be permitted to preboard.

As Southwest Airlines doesn’t assign seats, preboarding is available for Customers who require a specific seat to accommodate their disability. See the Preboarding section above for details.
Customers who require more than one seat in order to accommodate a disability (e.g., a Customer who has his/her arm in a cast that extends into space beside the Customer) may proactively purchase an additional seat(s) to notify Southwest of their specific seating need. While instructions for booking a second seat online can be found on our Customers of Size page, Customers purchasing a second seat to accommodate a disability should use “DXS” rather than “XS” with the Customer’s middle name. Customers may contact us for a refund of the cost of the additional seat purchased to accommodate the Customer after travel. If a Customer with a disability has concerns about the amount of space needed and does not wish to purchase an additional seat, the Customer should speak with the Customer Service Agent at the departure gate. In general, an additional seat can only be purchased for a Customer with a disability if the Customer would otherwise be unable to access our aircraft. Otherwise, as noted in our Contract of Carriage, the purchase of more than one seat for the sole purpose of ensuring additional personal space is prohibited.

We recommend that Customers carry on all medications and assistive devices that can be transported in the cabin in accordance with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) safety guidelines (e.g., walkers, canes, crutches, CPAP machines, breast pumps, etc.). When packed separately from other personal items, a medication used to accommodate a disability and assistive devices does not count toward a Customer’s carryon or checked bag limit. These items can be checked if the Customer prefers. During the check-in process, it is important that the Customer informs a Customer Service Agent that an assistive device is being checked, especially if the assistive device is contained within the Customer's luggage.

If an assistive device cannot be stored safely in the cabin, we will transport it in the cargo compartment. However, we suggest that all removable parts (i.e., cushions, arm or leg rests, and side guards) be stowed in an overhead bin or under a seat if the parts fit and meet all FAA safety requirements for onboard stowage. The Customer has the option to retrieve the checked assistive device at the gate or baggage claim upon arrival at his or her destination. The Customer should advise our Employees when checking the device at which location the Customer prefers to retrieve it.

Each aircraft is equipped with a specially designed wheelchair storage compartment to allow in-cabin stowage of at least one standard-size, adult, collapsible wheelchair. If the wheelchair compartment is not occupied by another Customer's wheelchair, other assistive devices may be stowed within it. On our 737-700 Series aircraft, the wheelchair compartment is located in the rear of the aircraft. On our 737-800 Series aircraft, the compartment is located in the forward section of the aircraft. The compartment is available for Customers' use on a first-come, first served basis.
Southwest Airlines does not have electrical outlets onboard the aircraft for personal use.

****Spillable batteries
If an assistive device is powered by a spillable battery, Southwest must be able to access the battery to determine that it is approved for transportation. The battery must show no signs of any defects or damage. The battery will be removed and placed in a protective battery box, as required by federal HAZMAT safety regulations. We recommend that Customers traveling with a device powered by a spillable battery label the battery cables with corresponding colored tape or provide detailed disconnection and reconnection directions so that the Agents at the destination city can quickly and easily reconnect the battery to the device. Customers may bring one "spare" spillable battery for each battery needed to operate the device. Spare batteries will also be packaged in a protective battery box.

****Non-spillable batteries
If an assistive device is powered by a non-spillable battery, Southwest must be able to access the battery to determine that it is approved for transportation. The battery must show no signs of any defects or damage. The battery must be properly secured to the device to prevent movement. If the device does not have an effective means of preventing unintentional activation (key turned to “off” and removed, on/off switch in the “off” position, quick disconnection of the joystick, etc.), the battery must be disconnected and the battery terminals protected from short circuit. In these cases, we recommend the Customer provide disconnect directions or label the corresponding cables so that our Agents can easily reconnect the battery and return the assistive device more quickly at the Customer's destination.

If an assistive device is powered by a lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery, Southwest must be able to access the battery to determine that it is approved for transportation. The Li-ion battery must show no signs of any defects or damage. The assistive device must be transported as checked baggage. If the Li-ion battery is securely attached and protected from short-circuit by being fully enclosed in the device’s battery housing, the battery may remain installed and there is no limit to battery size on these types of devices. If not securely attached, the battery must be removed, terminals protected from short circuit and transported separately as carryon baggage.
If a device is specifically designed to allow its battery to be easily removed (e.g., a collapsible scooter, etc.), there is a single battery size limit of 300 watt-hours. If the device utilizes two batteries, each battery cannot exceed 160 watt-hours. The battery or batteries must be removed, protected from short circuit, and carried onboard to be stowed in the cabin. The battery’s size in watt-hours must be displayed on the battery, or the battery should be labeled with its voltage and amp-hour (or milliamp-hour) ratings to allow for size calculation (see formula below) if needed. Any spare batteries must be transported as carryon baggage with the battery terminals protected to prevent short circuit.
Some Li-ion batteries do not display the watt-hour rating on the battery label. The following formulas may be used to determine the watt-hours rating for a Lithium-ion battery:
If the battery lists the Amp-hour rating, use this formula:
Volts (V) x Amp-hours (Ah) = Watt-hours (Wh)
Example for a single battery:
10 volts multiplied by 24 Amp-hours = 240 watt-hours
The 240 watt-hours are below the 300 watt-hour limit for a single battery, so the battery would be allowed.
If the battery lists the Milliamp-hour rating, use this formula instead:
Volts (V) x Milliamp-hours (mAh) ÷ 1,000 = Watt-hours (Wh)
There are additional restrictions on hoverboards and self-balancing devices powered by lithium batteries.

Ray,

The way I read it, the refund doesn't matter whether the plane is full, as long as you reserve the extra seat. I think the part about the plane being full is talking about if you don't reserve the extra seat, but ask for it at the gate, which they say is an option. I believe SWA has a no-oversell policy, and the only time passengers with reservations get bumped is if there's a last-minute equipment change or need for crew transport. They request that you reserve the extra seat in advance to help with that policy.

SWA does not have assigned seats; it's one of the things that makes them different. Normally, passengers who pay extra will board first, and the rest board in order of time checked in (online), selecting seats once they're on the plane. But that doesn't matter to you, because you will be able to preboard before all able-bodied passengers if you have either a wheelchair or an extra seat. All the wheelchairs (there are usually several) are lined up in front of the podium as soon as they arrive.

I too check in at the ticket counter, just to make sure all the paperwork is in order, and they're ready for the scooter and the extra seat. (Of course I also let them know well before the flight date that I'll be traveling with the scooter.) As the web site says, you do need to get a document, something like an extra boarding pass, that says you have the extra seat reserved. (I think they can also print it at the gate, but I do it at the ticket counter to be safe.) When you get to your seat, you place this card on the seat next to you to alert those boarding behind you that the seat is reserved. At first, I was afraid people might resent it, but I've had passengers looking at the seat thank me for being considerate.

I don't keep up with when ticket sales open, but I think there are several threads on here about it.

Thank you, I reread your correct statement online again.

I haven’t taken a wheelchair with me but Southwest did something to my rollator walker. One wheel doesn’t sit on the ground anymore. I have not been able to figure out what the heck happened to it. I am starting to think they bent the frame by putting something heavy on top of it or throwing or something. It still works ok but one wheel just spins around in the air as I walk

I know what you mean. When my old 3-wheel REVO mobility scooter was damaged, I didn't know until days later when a plastic part was torn off.

Another time I had bought new forearm crutches and I had them attached together with a bungee cord. But when I arrived, one was bent and one rubber tip was missing and one screw used to tighten one of the forearm crutches was missing. I couldn't use them. Delta said that vibration might have shaken the screw off and the conveyor belts might have done the rest of the damage. They paid for brand new ones since I reported it right away.

Now I take before and after photos of my medical equipment and try to follow a plan to check the equipment right after I receive my equipment back on arrival.

Yes the December tickets will become available on May 30 for SWA flights.

Thank you, I can use this for next time.

Last edited:
Hi, ktate82. Thank you. Sorry, I took to long to write my previous post before seeing your post.

We have traveled SW several times with DMIL who has taken a standard wheelchair and later her scooter. Both times we let SW know beforehand, and then again at the ticket counter. They never inspected it at the ticket counter. After security, we went to the gate, and they inspected the scooter and put a gate check tag on it. She can walk short distances, so she would give the scooter to them about half an hour or so before we started boarding and walk onto the plane when it was time to board. They took it down in an elevator, and when we landed, we got a wheelchair to push her from the plane into the terminal. They brought her scooter up an elevator for her there. We have never noticed any damage to it, but we did make sure to fold the seat down and take the basket off (I always carry a bag that it fits into) so it doesn't get broken.

I am quite impressed btw at how small yours folds up.

I know right. When I left Orlando MCO Airport a couple of weeks ago, the Delta Airlines Baggage Check-in didn't ask for any information about my wheelchair like they do in Atlanta.

And entering TSA Pre-check x-ray station, the Orlando MCO Airport didn't visually check my small bag with a small set of flat tools that came with my wheelchair. They always pull me aside and check that small bag because it was made of metal. Go figure!

I think it is great the Southwest uses their elevator to take the mobility equipment down to be loaded on the plane. They won't do that with Delta Airlines all the time unless you ask them to. They pick up my wheelchair and walk it down the Gate's Jetway stairs next to the plane door entrance. The same place they take down the strollers.

Me, too. I have a backpack that I put on the back of my wheelchair that I disconnect my wheelchair's joystick and put it in that backpack where I store my C.P.A.P. machine, medication, laptop, etc. Other than that my electric wheelchair is one piece that folds up and I bought their luggage protective cover to cover it so that the Delta staff can lift it by the handles. I also leave the freewheel levers unlocked so they can freely roll the wheelchair by the strap.

Thank, I love my wheelchair.

I have been looking for years for a better mobility scooter and occasionally for a portable electric wheelchair to travel with.

Years ago, I just couldn't take my 10-year old mobility scooter apart and lift it and put it together again every time that I traveled. I was just getting too old to do that.

I know they are much lighter now.

But I didn't want to take one apart by myself again. I was over it.

They have been making foldable electric wheelchairs for many years, but I just wasn't happy until I saw this one.

The others had a lower weight capacity than I wanted.

What changed my mind was when I first saw this new company in Orlando that was owned and staffed all using their own wheelchairs.

The wheelchair is called a "FoldAndGoWheelchair.com".

It only weighed 55-pounds for their heavy-duty model that would carry about 365-pounds.

It could go up my steep hill on my street because the maximum degree ramp height is 25% and all the other wheelchair and even large mobility scooters are a maximum of 12%

It was made all of the tubular steel that is solid with no breakable plastic pieces like on other wheelchairs.

It folds up to 13-inches from front to back.

The two Lithium-Ion batteries are approved by FDA and Airlines to be stored under the plane or in the plane inside the closet without removing them from their protective metal covers. They actually built the batteries into the frame of the wheelchair.

The wheelchair joystick has a quick connect at the armrest instead of underneath the wheelchair. This makes it so easy to remove and reconnect at the airport.

The seat and back are made of mesh and washable and waterproof.

The whole wheelchair is waterproof.

The motors, seats, joystick, electronics, everything on the wheelchair is waterproof.

If any of you ever decide to buy one of these, could you please tell them that I recommended them to you. They might give me a 1% discount for future orders.

Hi, Euby. Thank you.

Unfortunately from Atlanta they didn't have any one-stop in December 2019 for the dates that I wanted from Atanta ATL Airport to Orlando MCO Airport.

I do the same thing with my cane and backpack. I did buy a nice folding cane that I hang on my armrest instead of using a non-folding cane.

I know, right. I usually travel solo to WDW and I thought that I was already with my WDW resort reservation and my online DME reservation with a wheelchair lift. But I didn't take into account either adding a day or adding a guest to my room for two nights.

When I arrived at the Orlando MCO Airport DME counter, my Magicband wouldn't scan, my DME confirmation letter wouldn't scan. So the DME staff looked up my name and printed out a new DME confirmation letter to enter the DME bus. And when I got to Pop Century, I had my Magicband updated.

It worked out very quickly, I thought.

I usually fly Southwest to Orlando because they are the only non-stop. Due to the size of the airport, I will sometimes utilize the wheelchair assistance from the check-in to the terminal. Carrying a backpack, CPAP, and trying to use a cane can be a handful sometimes. When traveling with family, I don't have to worry about the additional seat (we just put up the armrest between us). My first time traveling alone on Southwest, I asked at the gate desk if I could get a pre-board card (which I don't think they have anymore) since I knew I would need some extra time to get situated. The person was very polite and actually gave me the boarding pass for the second seat and explained how it worked. She also updated my return trip so that I would have the extra boarding pass. I was very fortunate as they did not charge me for the extra seat. The only hiccup was trying to use the airline check-in at my Disney resort. Since I had the extra boarding pass, it was messing up their system somehow. So I ended up checking in at the ticket counter at the airport instead.

When traveling with family, I don't have to worry about the additional seat (we just put up the armrest between us).
Just for general information, Southwest's point of view is that each passenger is entitled to their own entire seat.
do this with Delta Airlines since I use a wheelchair and I see Southwest Airlines does the same for wheelchair users. I really don't think that is fair to board early for just being overweight and buying two seats
I think that specifically Southwest's open seating policy, this practice is not only fair but mandatory.

I don't have to do this with Delta Airlines since I try and buy a First Class seat in the front row of the plane. I can sit in a 17-inch width seat without problems, buy my chest and upper arms are wider than the width of my hips and waist. I know weird. I just don't want to invade another passenger's space.
I'm the opposite. Thunder thighs run in my mother's family, and I'm the child that got them along with very wide hips.
I do this with Delta Airlines since I use a wheelchair and I see Southwest Airlines does the same for wheelchair users. I really don't think that is fair to board early for just being overweight and buying two seats. But I guess since Southwest Airlines doesn't have reserved seating like Delta Airlines they may have to do this. I don't know. That is just my opinion.
Yes, if they didn't preboard, there might not be 2 seats together by the time the passenger's turn to board came up.

I fly Southwest all the time as a customer of size. I used to pre-buy the extra seat and get the reimbursement. Then they switched to the newer res system and suddenly pre-buying the extra seats screws everything up. It often took 30-45 minutes at the gate kiosk for them to finally get my boarding pass correctly issued. Now I always wait until the airport to request the extra seat. In two years, I have never been denied due to the flight being full. And yes, Joelkfla is correct. I need to pre-board to be assured of two seats together.

I fly Southwest all the time as a customer of size. I used to pre-buy the extra seat and get the reimbursement. Then they switched to the newer res system and suddenly pre-buying the extra seat screws everything up. It often took 30-45 minutes at the gate kiosk for them to finally get my boarding pass correctly issued. Now I always wait until the airport to request the extra seat. In two years, I have never been denied due to the flight being full. And yes, Joelkfla is correct. I need to pre-board to be assured of two seats together.

Hi, anonymousegirl. Thank you for your explanation.

In the back of my mind, I could see this might cause delays since not all of the staff might have the experience to process the information just because it might not be used as often.

I understand what you are saying, but I would worry about getting two seats if I didn't apply for the two seats ahead of time. I guess because I would be new and inexperienced to the process and worried if I would be able to get my seats.

Hi, anonymousegirl. Thank you for your explanation.

In the back of my mind, I could see this might cause delays since not all of the staff might have the experience to process the information just because it might not be used as often.

I understand what you are saying, but I would worry about getting two seats if I didn't apply for the two seats ahead of time. I guess because I would be new and inexperienced to the process and worried if I would be able to get my seats.
For your peace of mind, you can pre-buy the seats, but be prepared for a lengthy wait at the gate while they sort out the boarding pass. I used to view it as a courtesy so Southwest could accurately forecast the load (how full the plane would be). I also think that it is a fair trade off--Southwest got to earn interest on my extra seat money, and I got the more comfortable flight. If you pre-buy the second seat online (using XS as your middle name) do not add you Frequent Flier number to that second reservation. Keep it on your real reservation only.

For your peace of mind, you can pre-buy the seats, but be prepared for a lengthy wait at the gate while they sort out the boarding pass. I used to view it as a courtesy so Southwest could accurately forecast the load (how full the plane would be). I also think that it is a fair trade off--Southwest got to earn interest on my extra seat money, and I got the more comfortable flight. If you pre-buy the second seat online (using XS as your middle name) do not add you Frequent Flier number to that second reservation. Keep it on your real reservation only.

Hi, Lori. That is what I was thinking about from your previous post. Thank you for your explanation and clarification. That helps me a lot.

Hi, Lori. That is what I was thinking about from your previous post. Thank you for your explanation and clarification. That helps me a lot.
Also, you may make a friend. It happens to me all the time. I pre-board and take my window seat, sticking the seat reservation paper on the middle seat. An A-List passengers boards soon after and takes the aisle seat. I usually offer the middle under seat area for his bag so he can stretch his legs (I have short legs so my purse is under the seat in front of me). I let him/her know that the middle seat will remain empty as I "bought" it, and he/she usually offers me a free alcoholic beverage as a thank you.
Also, I usually take a seat in the second or third row so I don't have to squeeze my way a long way down the aisle. I don't like the bulkhead front row, as I like to have my meds/purse within my reach and not in the overhead bin.

If you prefer an aisle seat, you can have one, but you will likely have to move at least once to let someone in for that empty window seat. Also, couples boarding together may try for what they think are two empty seats near the front. I don't like the aisle as I have broad shoulders and I am consistently being smacked as people board the plane/go to the lavatory.

Thank you, Lori, for all of your great insight.

I'm going to copy and paste all your insights to my other Southwest Airlines info to reference later when I am ready to order tickets.

Also, you may make a friend. It happens to me all the time. I pre-board and take my window seat, sticking the seat reservation paper on the middle seat. An A-List passengers boards soon after and takes the aisle seat. I usually offer the middle under seat area for his bag so he can stretch his legs (I have short legs so my purse is under the seat in front of me). I let him/her know that the middle seat will remain empty as I "bought" it, and he/she usually offers me a free alcoholic beverage as a thank you.
Also, I usually take a seat in the second or third row so I don't have to squeeze my way a long way down the aisle. I don't like the bulkhead front row, as I like to have my meds/purse within my reach and not in the overhead bin.

If you prefer an aisle seat, you can have one, but you will likely have to move at least once to let someone in for that empty window seat. Also, couples boarding together may try for what they think are two empty seats near the front. I don't like the aisle as I have broad shoulders and I am consistently being smacked as people board the plane/go to the lavatory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter