Report on the drive down from E. MA

mom42860

<font color=FF99FF>I am still invisible<br><font c
We returned Thurs. from our drive to Florida, a 1st for us. While planning I was asked for a report so here we go. We went to visit relatives in Siesta Key before WDW, so drive down was longer. There were 5 of in a truck w/ a full rear seat, cap on the back. DH, DS10, DD13, DD18 mnths & myself. We left (Thurs) 4/11 @9:30pm, drove until 3:30pm the next day. Stayed in Florence SC that night (Fri). Got 2 rooms I hit the pool & slept w/ the kids in one so DH could head right to bed. (Found I had to entertain the baby in the car so he did all the driving). Up & on the road @ 8am arrived in Siesta Key 4 pm (Sat). Stayed for the weekend, headed to Orlando Mon. am only took us about 1 & 1/2 hrs. We were in Orlando til following Tues 4/23. What was great; having our own vehicle, lots of room to carry supplies, (cooler, beach towels, pillows, carriage, baby booster seat, etc.), seeing the country, being able to stop when we wanted. Left Orlando 8am (Tues) made it to Rocky Mount NC around 6pm. Stayed overnight then headed home by way of Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel (Dh's idea, not recommended unless you have the time-after the bay you travel along the coast -lots of stop lights for hours!) Made it home (Cape Ann MA ) @ 11pm Weds. What I would do differently, a map with the rest areas listed to plan scheduled stops; (everything was in the back if we wanted a drink we had to stop, then someone would need to use the RR which meant letting the baby stretch). We could have planned that better, and a written list of things to make the kids happy, even tho' I had gotten great ideas, I did not write them down & when all heck broke loose I couldn't remember them! Also fresh things for the ride home, we were sick of the videos and had read the books so the ride home was harder. Sorry this is long, happy to answer any questions, feel like we should have a club with "I survived the drive" stickers!!

I guess my biggest question would be would you do it again? How about your husband? Since he did all the driving, was he an absolute zombie by the time you stopped? (I'm afraid my DH would be so cranky we would end up regretting it!) Also, how about the baby, did she sleep a lot for you or did you find it was a lot of time awake, needing to be entertained? I'm glad you posted, I remember reading all the suggestions you got for the trip down! Lastly, how was WDW??? Thanks!:D

Yes I would do it again, it is like having a baby- very painful at the time but soon you forget the pain! We would not travel at night again. DH was very tired and yes he got cranky. The sep. rooms helped, the kids could burn off steam and he had much needed rest. The baby hardly slept the 1st night, maybe an hr at the beginning and a couple before breakfast. Her seat was in the line of oncoming headlights and it was bright along the highway. We had the VCR - good on the way down but she got selective about what she watched on the way home (should have brought a wider variety). I spent most of the trip in back with her. CDs worked great- we would pop 1 in and sing and that would calm her down, (again, should have brought more). A really strange thing was she developed a couple of burns from her car seat, 1 on her belly and 1 on her elbow. I checked her straps carefully after that but felt bad it happened at all. It was a different trip than anticipated, WDW was hot & crowded, and w/ the baby there was a lot I could not do, but still grateful for a great trip.

Thanks for posting the report on your drive. I love a road trip but due to time issues we haven't been able to travel that way. Reading your report makes me miss it. It is just plain old exciting to me. I think that it just childhood memories, loading up the car and anticipating the journey, togetherness, adventure........love it! Sounds like you did great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter