Renting, Transfer, Trade and General Use Questions

Frederic Civish

“I’m just here for the Ears.”
DVC Gold
I know that owners who rent out points, or transfer points, or owners who make reservations for other people, often have questions. And people who use those points, have questions sometimes. But I don't see an active primary thread for questions directly pertaining to those things, so I will post one here. I hope it is in the right place. I have had other questions but I usually have not wanted to start a new thread. If other people find this thread useful, maybe they will use it, too.

My question concerns changing the Reservation over to someone else. As an owner, if I have a confirmed reservation, and I cannot use it, so I want to shift the reservation to a family member, or if I want to rent the reservation out, how can I change the name of the primary person on the reservation from myself to someone else. The modify button doesn't seem to allow this, for the FIRST listed person on the reservation. So the only option I see is to call Member Services. Is there some other way to do it? Calling Member Services is not necessarily a bad thing, but I would rather do as much as possible myself.

In my particular case right now, I am making reservations for next Fall, 11 months away, for 3 family groups. We will be staying in 3 Studios at Poly. I put all the reservations in my name, and listed some of the other family members as second, third, and fourth persons. Now I would like to shift the entire reservation to them, and take my name off as the Primary. In particular, this is important because in two of the rooms, there will be 5 people, and for them to get Magic Bands, there won't be room for me on the Reservation. Some of them are DVC Members, but in some rooms none of them are DVC Members. What is the best way to go about this? I do also understand that, as the person who made the reservation, I will still be the person who has to handle problems for them, for those who are not DVC Members.

Comments are appreciated.

Last edited:
You have to call to have the primary name changed on the reservation. You can’t do it online, but the folks on the phone can take care of it quickly.

You can also do so by e-mailing MS or chatting with MS from the website.

I keep forgetting about the chat feature. That could be a nice option. There are a lot of things that could be done by chat, and since it is on the computer it is easy to copy and paste names and addresses into it rather than reading them off one by one to the member service representative on the telephone

I like to email using the Contact Us link. I get an email acknowledging receipt of my email, so I know they received it, and then I get an email response that I can file with the other emails pertinent to that trip.

I am an associate on my daughter's DVC contract and she usually has me book most everything and handle transactions. She has a friend going to Japan and wanting to stay at the Disney resort in Japan and wanted to give her friend DVC points and book her room for her. Is she able to give points for the overseas collection? I know she can rent/give her points out for the florida site but I wasn't sure if she's even allowed to rent/give points out for other sites.

I am an associate on my daughter's DVC contract and she usually has me book most everything and handle transactions. She has a friend going to Japan and wanting to stay at the Disney resort in Japan and wanted to give her friend DVC points and book her room for her. Is she able to give points for the overseas collection? I know she can rent/give her points out for the florida site but I wasn't sure if she's even allowed to rent/give points out for other sites.

She should be able to transfer points. Then her friend can schedule their own room, if her friend also has DVC. If she doesn't have DVC then you or your daughter will need to schedule it.

This presumes that you are talking about points purchased directly. If you purchase them at resale, then they cannot be used to schedule anything in Japan because that is one of the incidental benefits that is restricted to people who purchased Direct.

Last edited:

Friend doesn't have DVC but it is direct purchase so I guess I will be handling the reservations for them. Thanks. I just didn't know if renting points out except at Disneyworld was allowed even.

Friend doesn't have DVC but it is direct purchase so I guess I will be handling the reservations for them. Thanks. I just didn't know if renting points out except at Disneyworld was allowed even.

Owners are allowed to rent their points out; they’re actually renting a reservation. No restrictions on how they’re used — if the owner can book it they can rent it out.

I looked for another thread to pose this question, and couldn’t find one, so I will post it here.

I have a question regarding DVC Members’ use of common spaces.

This week I am at Disneyland. I noticed that if you go out of the Grand Californian, heading west (towards the parking lot and the Disneyland Hotel) they have recently installed a gate on the sidewalk leading to the Grand Californian, right across from the traffic check booth and gate. If you go out through it, you are supposed to use your Grand Californian room key card to open the gate when you return. It only opens to a Grand Californian room key, and not Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier Hotel room keys.

I understand what their thinking is. They want to keep the Grand Californian as a rather exclusive, premium place, so, in their minds, they are keeping out the ‘riff raff’. Especially since Paradise Pier Hotel is right across the street, and if they want to go to California Adventure, it is super easy to walk through the front door of the Grand Californian, and out through the special gate that goes directly into California Adventure on the east side. The other, ‘official’ way to do it is for the guests at Paradise Pier Hotel to walk a bit west, then farther north, past the Disneyland Hotel and enter Downtown Disney through the west gate, then walk through Downtown Disney to the Plaza, then turn south again and enter California Adventure. I estimate this takes another 10 minutes of walking.

Okay, here is my question: even though Grand Californian only has 75 DVC units, and the rest of the hotel outnumbers it with about 700 guest rooms, as DVC Members, don’t DVC owners have the right to use the common space in the Grand Californian, including lobby, hallway, entrances and sidewalks? Even if the are staying in the Disneyland Hotel, and not in the Grand Californian? I went in and out through the gate 3 or 4 times, and every time I wondered if Disney has the right to deny access to other DVC Members.

Last edited:
I looked for another thread to pose this question, and couldn’t find one, so I will post it here.

I have a question regarding DVC Members’ use of common spaces.

This week I am at Disneyland. I noticed that if you go out of the Grand Californian, heading west (towards the parking lot and the Disneyland Hotel) they have recently installed a gate on the sidewalk leading to the Grand Californian, right across from the traffic check booth and gate. If you go out through it, you are supposed to use your Grand Californian room key card to open the gate when you return. It only opens to a Grand Californian room key, and not Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier Hotel room keys.

I understand what their thinking is. They want to keep the Grand Californian as a rather exclusive, premium place, so, in their minds, they are keeping out the ‘riff raff’. Especially since Paradise Pier Hotel is right across the street, and if they want to go to California Adventure, it is super easy to walk through the front door of the Grand Californian, and out through the special gate that goes directly into California Adventure on the east side. The other, ‘official’ way to do it is for the guests at Paradise Pier Hotel to walk a bit west, then farther north, past the Disneyland Hotel and enter Downtown Disney through the west gate, then walk through Downtown Disney to the Plaza, then turn south again and enter California Adventure. I estimate this takes another 10 minutes of walking.

Okay, here is my question: even though Grand Californian only has 75 DVC units, and the rest of the hotel outnumbers it with about 700 guest rooms, as DVC Members, don’t DVC owners have the right to use the common space in the Grand Californian, including lobby, hallway, entrances and sidewalks? Even if the are staying in the Disneyland Hotel, and not in the Grand Californian? I went in and out through the gate 3 or 4 times, and every time I wondered if Disney has the right to deny access to other DVC Members.
No, DVC members have no access to GCV common space if they aren't staying there. Just like no pool hopping at all at DL resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!