Renting special needs stroller

Byers3132

Earning My Ears
hi all, long time lurker, I appreciate all your advice. We are going with our low tone ASD 10 year old next month. We want to get a stroller because he tires so easily that we have literally lost him- our teens are charging ahead and all of a sudden he refuses to walk and gets surrounded by the crowd before we realize it.

We will have a car- is the pushchair variety easiest to deal with on trams, etc? (As opposed to a jogger style). And we plan to park it often- has anyone ever heard of them being stolen? Thank you!

Welcome! I can't answer your question pertaining to the easiest stroller to use on trams -- although I would say it would have a lot to do with how easily, quickly and how compactly you can fold down whatever you're using. There has been some discussion lately on the boards about mobility devices, including strollers, being stolen -- though not any present cases, if I have that right. It's a point of debate how frequently that happens, but it's not common. It shouldn't be a deterrent to using one however, as I would venture to guess they are more beneficial than they are likely to disappear. I wish you luck and hope you have a splendid vacation!

We have used a Maclaren Major Elite for my daughter. It's like a large umbrella stroller. Very basic, but it folds compactly and is relatively light compared to many other special needs strollers. The biggest issue with folding is the footrest, but we hang a string pack on the back of the stroller and just pop the footrest in there when we fold it.

We have parked it outside restaurants with no problem of theft. We rarely park it outside rides, preferring to take it with us through the queue. Stroller theft does happen, though considering the vast number of strollers in the parks each day I don't believe it's a big issue. There are devices you can purchase to lock the wheels to make it harder to push away, but WDW does not allow it to be locked to anything else (like a lamp post, etc.).

Enjoy your vacation!

We have used a Maclaren Major Elite for my daughter. It's like a large umbrella stroller. Very basic, but it folds compactly and is relatively light compared to many other special needs strollers. The biggest issue with folding is the footrest, but we hang a string pack on the back of the stroller and just pop the footrest in there when we fold it.

We have parked it outside restaurants with no problem of theft. We rarely park it outside rides, preferring to take it with us through the queue. Stroller theft does happen, though considering the vast number of strollers in the parks each day I don't believe it's a big issue. There are devices you can purchase to lock the wheels to make it harder to push away, but WDW does not allow it to be locked to anything else (like a lamp post, etc.).

Enjoy your vacation!
Thanks for the great ideas!

We have rented a special needs stroller about 4 times now when we go to DW. Our son is 18 and tends to do the same thing as yours (stop and drop :)). We have rented a larger jogger type and have not had much of an issue getting around. I will say it is pretty big when it folds up for the buses (the bus drivers always have offered for us to load it as a wheelchair but he has never given us an issue when getting on the bus so we fold it and carry it on). Easy to get on and off the monorail and leave it open....I really like the jogger as it has given him a space to sink into when he gets over-stimmed and makes our days go so much better. Orlando Medical has been amazing when it comes to larger stroller options. We have never had any issues with leaving it outside places and have started getting the red wheelchair tag for it so he can remain in it all the way through the que on the few rides he will ride.
Right now we (ok I am in a panic) because we will be doing our first trip to DL and I can't find anyplace that offers the same strollers in CA....not sure what we are going to do at this point :(

... Right now we (ok I am in a panic) because we will be doing our first trip to DL and I can't find anyplace that offers the same strollers in CA....not sure what we are going to do at this point :(
I have seen guests with the larger jogger type strollers with a wheelchair designation tag in DLR, but I don't know where they came from. Some of the strollers clearly belonged to the guest because the decorations did not look like things a rental company would use. If I see one on one of our next few visits to DLR, I'll try to ask the family whether the stroller is a rental and where they got it.
Just a question: would it be possible to use one of these: https://www.keenz.us/?SID=fi399oip7hg52ohbm2ghsifks2? These wagons don't get much love at DLR, but they are very popular now. Because they are pushed, not pulled, Disney allows them. I think the weight limit is around 110 lbs., so over the usual 90 lbs. limit of the smaller special needs strollers. Not sure if they can be rented, but given their current popularity, it's very possible that someone might rent them out at DLR.

Last edited:

Nope. Don't get much love because wagons are prohibited. Not to say some people aren't able to sneak one in occasionally, but it's better not to try. If a CM says no, the only option is to rent a(n adult size) wheelchair.
These are not prohibited because they are pushed like a stroller, not pulled like a wagon. In fact, the company states expressly on their website that they are Disney park approved. (Check the FAQs.) I would not suggest something to a poster which I knew was prohibited in the parks. CMs will not say "no." The Keenz wagons are everywhere in DLR -- in the parks and in DTD. They don't get much love because of their large size and the carelessness of some of the "drivers."

Last edited:
These are not prohibited because they are pushed like a stroller, not pulled like a wagon. In fact, the company states expressly on their website that they are Disney park approved. (Check the FAQs.) I would not suggest something to a poster which I knew was prohibited in the parks. CMs will not say "no." The Keenz wagons are everywhere in DLR -- in the parks and in DTD. They don't get much love because of their large size and the carelessness of some of the "drivers."
they are everywhere at WDW too. if you have one you will be fine bring it into the parks ( at least for now)

We rent the Liberty stroller from Kingdom Strollers. It is not jogger style. Folds well. We use Disney transportation and it folds easy enough to take on and off the buses or boats without much struggle. The stroller is such a life saver because it creates a physical personal bubble. He can pull the canopy down and block out some of the visual stimuli. We love it.

I have heard of rare occasions of theft so we always opt for the additional insurance, which is pretty reasonable. Maybe $25 or 30 total. We usually rent for 9 days.

We have a Convaid Cruiser. It's my son's so we were able to have it modified to make it easier to use at parks.

My priorities were:
Ease of pushing with a single bar and I like to push one handed while walking to the side so I can interact with him
Deep seating to cocoon my son
Easy to see around, though it difficult to see the foot rests in a crowd. We do have lights and reflective tap
Easy collapse
Way to attach his cup holder and toy bag
Drink holder for the adults

I've tried a jogger type, but the turn radius was an issue in tight spaces, and I think they tip easier when my son rocks or throws himself back. I looked at more of a front wagon style, but, maybe because I'm short, I don't think I could see to work through crowds.

I did like the Liberty.

We don't do buses and wait till crowds clear for monorail or boat, but if we did do buses I'd probably just lock him in since his is transport ready and not worry about folding up (or taking him out of his safe space).

This was just posted on the Disneyland (California) board. The wagons will be banned starting 5/01/19 at DLR and at WDW.

Actually, there doesn’t yet seem to be any confirmation that the Keenz 7 will be banned. It fits well within the allowed dimensions for a stroller and is pushed rather than pulled. Other brands may pull like a traditional wagon. But at least in FL the company who rents the Keenz has posted a notice they have confirmation from WDW the Keenz is allowed, and they are backing that with a money-back guarantee. Now, I realize you can talk to 3 CMs and get 3 different responses on almost any question, but i’m skeptical on this latest rumor. We shall see...

Actually, there doesn’t yet seem to be any confirmation that the Keenz 7 will be banned. It fits well within the allowed dimensions for a stroller and is pushed rather than pulled. Other brands may pull like a traditional wagon. But at least in FL the company who rents the Keenz has posted a notice they have confirmation from WDW the Keenz is allowed, and they are backing that with a money-back guarantee. Now, I realize you can talk to 3 CMs and get 3 different responses on almost any question, but i’m skeptical on this latest rumor. We shall see...
I posted on the other board that I really hope Disney can get clear, consistent word out on this soon so that families planning their trips for after May 1st will know what to do -- if they have to make any adjustments at all (like you said, until Disney confirms this officially, who knows?). And, as always, I think disability exceptions will be allowed, e.g. wheelchair stroller tags. But it's just a heads up to be aware and looking for news on this, just in case.

ETA: Here is the link to the Parks Blog announcement: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ext-park-visit/?CMP=SOC-DPFY19Q2wo0328190002A.

Last edited:

Here are the updated rules. It does specifically state that stroller wagons (ie the Keenz) are now banned. Also note that the overall stroller dimensions have shrunk as well. Most doubles still fit, but others like the Summit 3 double jogger are now over the limit.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/

Here are the updated rules. It does specifically state that stroller wagons (ie the Keenz) are now banned. Also note that the overall stroller dimensions have shrunk as well. Most doubles still fit, but others like the Summit 3 double jogger are now over the limit.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/

Ah, thanks for the link, that is new. I didn't see that yesterday or Tuesday when I looked. Interesting, since before these things became popular the Keenz website indicated they were allowed. At least originally it was marketed as a "special needs" stroller, but possibly WDW didn't realize the popularity of it with "regular" families. I personally do not have one and think it looks uncomfortable for all-day use as a stroller, but several people with special needs children have felt it is a great option for their family's needs. My generation used strollers while the current generation of young parents seem to prefer wagons.

The new width makes it so the double can fit through most doorways, as minimum ADA standard is 32" wide. Possibly larger doubles didn't work with stroller-as-wheelchair tags and caused problems. The 52" length is still longer than the standard wheelchair "box" dimensions per ADA.

Totally offtopic and possibly worthy of its own thread (with all the changes) - smoking is now banned throughout all the parks and waterparks and no loose ice in coolers.

One of the problems with the wagons at DL has been with the wagons blocking doorways and exits. With DL's older design, not all doorways and walkways are as wide as they are in the newer parks. There have been numerous complaints of parents leaving the wagons (knowingly? unknowingly?) in doorways of shops or restrooms -- completely blocking a fire exit. Or of parents parking the wagons in the restrooms across the sinks so that no other guest can get to the sinks. The excuse usually is that "all my stuff" is in the wagon so the wagon cannot be parked outside unattended. Hopefully the new rule will at least make the restrooms safer for everyone if the sinks and doorways aren't blocked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter