Renting points for Riviera

lynnfitz

DIS Veteran
Hi, If you wanted to rent points to stay at the new Riviera Resort, do you have to rent from someone who actually owns there? The only reason I ask, is I saw a review of it on youtube, and I thought the person was talking about selling it and some restrictions, was wondering if that pertained to renting as well? I know I've rented many points in the past, and there was never a restriction, expect waiting for the 7 months mark if they didn't own at the resort I wanted to stay in- maybe I misunderstood?
Thank you!

If you want to book the rental during the home resort booking time, between 7 and 11 months ahead, you need to find a RIVera owner.

If you rent 7 month or less, then any owner who has qualified points..they bought before January, 2019, they can book.

The harder part will be getting a room as by 7 months, many rooms are gone.

The restriction you heard about has to do with selling. Someone Who buys Rivera on the resale market can only stay at Rivera in WDW.

Going to be pretty difficult to grab a room at Riviera without an owner offering their points for rent. As of right now, there is almost nothing available within the next 7 months for the studios.

No you don’t need Riviera point to stay there, but the points have to be eligible to book there. If the points are for another resort purchased via resale after January 19, 2019. I think that was the date. They cannot be used a Riviera, but resale purchased before then and all direct purchased points are able to book Riviera. That is what the YouTuber was talking about. DVC made this situation too confusing. They had a simple system it to a few years ago, now they put in some confusing restrictions. But the resale points purchased after Jan 2019 can still book at the first 14 DVC resorts. Like others have said Riviera is booking fast since not all of it is declared. Almost any studio and standard 1bedrooms are gone at 8 am on the 7 month booking window. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Thank you, that does make sense now! We'll probably try for Boardwalk, which we love, and the points are so much lower! Thank you again!

I will say this now as a owner. I'm already seeing the tower and studios go on the DVC site so if you wanna rent points there you'll have to find a very nice owner who is fast at booking but expect there to be a very high price point on these points.

Sharing my experience: We rented one night from someone who was not a Riviera owner. It was exactly the 7 month window and a standard studio was available. This was on Oct 30 and was for May 30. However, I had attempted to rent the points from two other owners that morning who could not book it due to the restrictions (they had bought resale after Jan 2019). After the two could not book it, I tried to call in and use one time use points to rent it myself but by then the availability was gone. I had posted a request in a DVC Rental FB group and someone had grabbed it up. They rented it to me for $19 a point.

Going to be pretty difficult to grab a room at Riviera without an owner offering their points for rent. As of right now, there is almost nothing available within the next 7 months for the studios.
No you don’t need Riviera point to stay there, but the points have to be eligible to book there. If the points are for another resort purchased via resale after January 19, 2019. I think that was the date. They cannot be used a Riviera, but resale purchased before then and all direct purchased points are able to book Riviera. That is what the YouTuber was talking about. DVC made this situation too confusing. They had a simple system it to a few years ago, now they put in some confusing restrictions. But the resale points purchased after Jan 2019 can still book at the first 14 DVC resorts. Like others have said Riviera is booking fast since not all of it is declared. Almost any studio and standard 1bedrooms are gone at 8 am on the 7 month booking window. Hope this helps.
So, if I buy direct from Disney at Riviera, I can use my points at ANY of the DVC resorts at the 7-month window. If I want to sell my Riviera interest on a future date, I must sell those points back to Disney, is that correct? So, overpay now for something you can sell way below market value later. I wonder if by purchasing direct from Disney now at Riviera will allow you to reserve at Reflections or the possible new DL timeshare at the 7-month window in the future?

So, if I buy direct from Disney at Riviera, I can use my points at ANY of the DVC resorts at the 7-month window. If I want to sell my Riviera interest on a future date, I must sell those points back to Disney, is that correct? So, overpay now for something you can sell way below market value later. I wonder if by purchasing direct from Disney now at Riviera will allow you to reserve at Reflections or the possible new DL timeshare at the 7-month window in the future?
You wouldn't be selling back to Disney if you sold unless they chose to exercise their ROFR. And yes, any direct contract will be able to be used at future resorts.

You could sell to anyone, but resale buyer would only be able to book Riviera. That may or may not greatly impact resale value.
If Riviera is really well received and you can rent Riviera points for $20+, then Riviera resales will command a fairly high price. If Riviera’s popularity drops to SSR levels than it will have a lower resale price than SSR (because SSR resales can book BWV, Poly, BLT....)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!