Renting a Wheelchair?

Tink n Poohbear

Mouseketeer
My mom recently hurt her back, but refuses to postpone our trip (we've already rescheduled once due to an illness). I'm concerned about her ability to get around. If walking becomes too much and renting a wheelchair is necessary, will we need to bring some sort of documentation from her doctor? I didn't think it would be necessary, but I've heard of some people trying to take advantage of wheelchair access lines that don't have a need to use them, so I wasn't sure if we should bring something to substantiate her need. I certainly don't want anyone thinking we would do that.

Thanks!

Anyone can rent a wheelchair, no paper work needed. If your mom only has a hurt back and can walk she will not need to take the wheelchair on the rides. Best thing is to ask a CM at each ride. With a hurt back she's going to have to sit out some rides anyway. A wheelchair will give her a ready place to sit while she waits. Check this site for places to rent a ECV off site and have it delived to where you are staying. it is less expensive. This will also give her the ability to look around alittle while she waits for you. And you won't have to push her around.

There is no need to bring a note. (Sometimes I wish there were such a requirement.)

You may be better off renting an ECV, as pushing a wheelchair can get very tiresome, especially if you are not used to it. Also it depends on the weight of the passenger and the condition of the pusher(s).

Also, use of an ECV will give your mother more of a feeling of independence than being pushed in a chair. Note that most large grocery stores, and such stores as Wal-Mart, usually have ECVs available for customers in need to use. Your mother can use one of these for "practice", realizing that the ones in the stores are much slower and nowhere near as maneuverable as the park or off-site rentals.

Some information for off-site rentals are:

Walker Mobility:
888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
407-856-2273, Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Randy'S Mobility is in Kissimmee
http://randysmobility.com
407-892-4777

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
800-747-0246

ScootAround
http://www.scootaround.com
Toll-free, US and Canada 888-441-7575

I have used Walker a few times. They will ask for a credit card and charge it the day before arrival. All of those listed, except Randy's, will deliver the ECV to your hotel bell services before your arrival and pick it up there after your departure. Their rates, especially for longer than a week, are much better than Disney's. Also, their scooters are much better.

You don't say if you are renting a car or what. If you are using a car for getting around, the ECVs break down into five pieces, the heaviest about 39 pounds. They take about a minute or so to take apart and about two minutes (once you are used to it) to put it together.

Another suggestion is find out your state's requirements for a temporary disabled hang tag and get the paper work and have her doctor sign off on it. The tag will allow you to use any of the handicap parking areas (which will be a necessity). Also, with the policy of charging for valet parking, with a handicap hang tag the fees will be waived. Also the valets will usually volunteer to assist in loading/unloading an ECV. In Virginia I printed the required form from the DMV website. When I took the completed form to the DMV Office it took less than 15 minutes from the time I walked in until I had my tag.

If you think your mom will need a wc & do not want to try an ECV , I suggest renting one from an offsite company. I believe it is a bit less $ than at the parks (haven't rented a wc in a long time as I am now an ECV convert). They are easy to take in your car if you aren't using the WDW transportation.

The reason I suggest this? The wcs at the parks are not comfortable, in a big way. (1) Depending on the time of year you got and the time of day you rent, you may not be able to get the type you need (eg they may only have wides or the ones with a raised foot); (2) the foot rests are not adjustable which over the course of a long day is not good; and (3) (most important) the wcs are very mushy -- a mesh sling style seat with no support and a soft back.

Before I found this board and learned about the offsite rentals I personally had much better luck borrowing a wc from my resort (they tend to be in far better shape). However, others here have not had that experience, plus they may not have one for you and have to get one from another resort, which leaves you w/ the park wcs for a day or so (this happened to me once). The offsite rental wcs are like my folding wc at home which I use on days w/ more walking than I can manage; they are comfortable to sit in for a long day and do not hurt my back.

The cost of the offsite wc rental, when compared against the total cost of your vacation and the knowledge that your mom will be comfortable and able to enjoy herself is in my opinion well worth it. If your mom already has back issues, I just would not want to recommend having her use a park wc. Trust me on this one-- I rented WDW park/resort wcs for a good 10 years before I found this board and I think have the dubious distinction of being the person on this board who has spent the most time in a WDW rental wc. I am now a repeat renter from Walker Mobility and have never looked back.

Feel free to ask any additional questions and have a great trip!

:wave: Cupcake

ecv's are preferable because they offer more independence, but they are expensive.

if you end up going the wc route, and are staying at a disney resort, you can save money by using one for free for your entire vacation--you pick it up at the check-in area.

they are first come, first served and cannot be reserved, but i think it's rare to be turned down. if you get there and none are available, you can always rent from the park or call an off-site company at that time.

I used to rent an ECV from Disney (before I started renting one from Walker Mobility). No one ever questioned why I rwas renting it. On each visit I stop by Guest Relations on our first day in a park to get a GAC. Again, I have never been asked to provide written documentation as to what my need is.

If you &/or your mom decide to rent an ECV, then I would recommend Walker Mobility. An ECV will give your mom more freedom & peace of mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter