Renting a House vs Hotel?

lukenlaurafan77

Earning My Ears
We are 3 weeks from going to dw and one of the biggest expenses is the hotel. We're a family of 7 and staying at the Hilton, formerly the old Nick hotel. 2 rooms is over $3000 from Dec 27-Jan 6. Can anyone perhaps guide me or help me with a cheaper route please? Is there a townhouse rental cheaper available? Or a hotel just as nice not nearly as expensive? My kids love this hotel because of the pool and all it has to offer but I cannot justify the expense. thank you all.

Holy moly, that's expensive. Go to a place like VRBO or SkyAuction or AirBnB. You will have endless choices of condos and townhouses. We're staying from Dec 20th to Jan 1st and paying literally half of that for a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath townhouse.

Holy moly, that's expensive. Go to a place like VRBO or SkyAuction or AirBnB. You will have endless choices of condos and townhouses. We're staying from Dec 20th to Jan 1st and paying literally half of that for a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath townhouse.

I second this. We're staying at Windsor Hills in a 2 bedroom condo for $1,300 from 12/23 - 1/6. I know it's an expensive time of year, but $3,000 seems really high. At least with a condo or townhouse, you'll have a kitchen and the ability to keep food costs down a bit by cooking a few meals here and there. You will NEED a car if you go the condo/townhouse/rental home route. Not sure if you'll have one anyway, but I wouldn't stay outside the bubble without one.

Very expensive

You can rent a 3 to 5 bed Villa for HALF that price All will have Private Pools

Yes they will be a 20 min drive from The Disney Bubble .... Hwy 27 to Hwy I4 to Hwy 192

Try IPG Florida Vacation Homes www.ipgflorida.com

There are many many villas out there that will have No Bookings for that time .

Try searching Homeaway.com by your dates and see what results you get. Unfortunately you are searching for accommodations for the most sought after weeks next to Easter just three weeks out. The most popular and better rated places will have been booked up quite awhile ago. Good luck.

Homeaway is showing some availability in your price range.

4BR pool house in Davenport (9 miles to Disney) for $2,015 total: https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p2614903
Note: leery about this one since it has no reviews; do your research

Would you consider a split stay to keep costs down? I know that can get difficult especially when traveling with large parties, but it could be more cost effective. I see that Dave @ Vacation Central Florida has some availability yet for 7 of your 10 days -- he gets good reviews here on the DISBoards; we stayed in one of his units once and it was fine, no problems, good rate. His website: http://rentals.vacationrentaldesk.com/VacationCentralFlorida/grid.html

3BR 2BA condo @ Windsor Hills (very close to Disney) for $1,388 (6 nights 12/31 - 01/06): http://www.vacationcentralflorida.com/threebedroomcondos/3bedroom304.html

3BR/3BA townhome w/ splash pool @ Windsor Hills for $1,859 (7 nights 12/30 - 01/06): http://www.vacationcentralflorida.com/3bedroomtownhouses/townhouse7682sirkaufman.html

Last edited:
We love vrbo / homeaway, but honestly, to get a good deal on most house rentals, you usually need to book 6months to a year out. Especially, for popular times and well reviewed places. Sometimes, you can catch a deal on someone’s last minute cancellation or an un-reviewed new listing, but the un-reviewed ones make me too nervous to book.

If you don’t mind driving, you may find something a little farther away. Try map view instead of narrowing by city to see if there anything nearby, but not listed as Orlando / Kissimmee.

Not being rude at all, but yes, you have to be. I can jump on VRBO right now and find at least a dozen options fitting your needs in minutes.

I thought so too, but once you go into the individual listings the availability changes to sorry not available for your dates.

Not sure how many are in your party but in TUGBBS there is a last minute rental board. If you can get one week of your trip for less at a place with a kitchen, it could save you a lot of $$$. Also look on eBay and search for the popular resorts listed in here:
Sheraton Vistana
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Hilton Grand Vacation Club

Here’s one for Vacation Village at Parkway Christmas week

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/christmas-in-orlando.266055/

Good Luck. Unfortunately that is a very popular week since kids are out of school late this year due to Xmas being on Monday. Look on Mousesavers.com as well.

thank you everyone. ive been searching and searching and emailing and no one emails me back when I do find something now so I've found a very reasonable hotel at coco key resort and waterpark for the days I need. I so appreciate everyone's help. I should've started much earlier. thank you all.

thank you everyone. ive been searching and searching and emailing and no one emails me back when I do find something now so I've found a very reasonable hotel at coco key resort and waterpark for the days I need. I so appreciate everyone's help. I should've started much earlier. thank you all.
I'm glad you found something! Have a great vacation!

We like to stay at our own villa with a pool much better than a hotel amd it has the added benefit of being much cheaper x

I never thought I'd be on team offsite but my latest WDW vacation with a house rental has won me over. The space, privacy, quiet, extra budget to stay longer, had me at hello.

You can get a lot of bang for your buck off site!

I have two trips coming. One was planned 3-4 weeks in advance. We got a small single family home with a private heated pool for $200 a night, it has 3 beds and 2 baths. There are 3 of us going, we were originally going to do an All Star suite, but more space and privacy will be better. Prices were the same.

The other one was booked 5 months in advance. That’s a 3 bed and 3 bath townhome. Price was a mere $100 per night.

Both spots had lots of good reviews.

I think it’s always worth looking at off site, you can really get a lot for the $.

I’ve peobably done 8-10 Air B&B or VRBO trips in the USA, I’ve been quite pleased.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!