Rent a Car just to drive from your resort to park? I say yes

TheNextSurprise

Earning My Ears
If you have the means, i would highly recommend you rent a car at the airport. We did this last week and it saved us at least 60-90 minutes a day + the stressing/dealing with busses going to and from the resorts - which can really put a damper on things if not running smoothly.

If you are staying at a disney resort, while parking at your hotel will incur a daily charge - parking at the actual parks will not. Each day we were literally door to door (or in the case of MK on the monorail) in less than 15 minutes.

It was the most helpful at the end of super long days to not even have to think about the bus situation which for us would have been 2 grumpy kids and a massive tandem double stroller to fold/contend with. It just gave such an extra layer of flexibility on getting to and from airport and parks. Will do it next time!

Totally get that. We didnt hit any traffic at all but that could have just been our timing on when we landed/left and times we hit the parks. I thought about the mini vans/lyft - but just felt like more waiting and more time in an app in addition to MDE - i actually priced out lyfting to and from airport and then to parks each day and dis springs etc, and renting the car was less. It probably also helps that we live in NYC and dont drive hardly at all except when we leave city to visit with family. so driving a car on vacation was kind of a novelty :).

Yes love having a rental car and not waiting 20 minutes for a bus to arrive. Then standing on a crowded bus. Love being able to eat off property and not pay high Disney prices. THe money we save by eating one meal off property each day pays for the car rental. If something happens and you need to go to drug store you can.

I've been on trips where my family rented a car, and I agree that there's a higher level of convenience...but when I'm the one who has to do the driving, mmnope, opting right out of that whole business. I don't particularly like driving even under normal conditions, and when I'm on unfamiliar roads I actively dislike it. And, too, if you take the bus you don't have to worry about staying sober enough to get behind the wheel....

We do not like to drive on WDW vacations, so if we want the convenience of faster travel, we use Lyft. The drivers are usually never more than 5 minutes out and we enjoy door to door service. You can book a lot of Uber or Lyft for the cost of a rental vehicle and overnight parking fees.

I won't say never but I don't see us ever getting a rental car for the purpose of driving from resort to the parks. We have never done it in the past and again don't want to waste the money when they offer buses, Minne Vans, taxis, or Lyft/Uber. With that being said, my wife and I are CFBC so therefore we don't have kids and strollers and day bags to deal with.

Each their own, but the point of being on vacation is not having to deal with driving.

When we stay offsite, a rental car is great. (We have AP's so parking charges aren't an issue.) Disney runs their parking lots very efficiently. I even love the trams: "Driver, you're all clear for dispatch!" *Beep Beep*" :love: Surprised that doesn't get as much love as the monorail spiel ;)

But when onsite, I do love the convenience and... magic... of the Magical Express! And also when onsite, I don't miss the extra step of the ferry/monorail @ MK. But yes, it is a lot faster to drive and park at the other 3 parks, by far.

When we stay offsite, a rental car is great. (We have AP's so parking charges aren't an issue.) Disney runs their parking lots very efficiently. I even love the trams: "Driver, you're all clear for dispatch!" *Beep Beep*" :love: Surprised that doesn't get as much love as the monorail spiel ;)

But when onsite, I do love the convenience and... magic... of the Magical Express! And also when onsite, I don't miss the extra step of the ferry/monorail @ MK. But yes, it is a lot faster to drive and park at the other 3 parks, by far.

Funny thing--normally I don't miss the ferry/monorail when going direct to MK, but when I bring my housemate to WDW for the first time I have some (mildly convoluted) plans to arrange things so her first view of MK will be from the ferry. That's how I first saw MK as a kid, since we were offsite guests who drove in each day, and it seems to me that it's the way MK is meant to be seen your first time.

Funny thing--normally I don't miss the ferry/monorail when going direct to MK, but when I bring my housemate to WDW for the first time I have some (mildly convoluted) plans to arrange things so her first view of MK will be from the ferry. That's how I first saw MK as a kid, since we were offsite guests who drove in each day, and it seems to me that it's the way MK is meant to be seen your first time.

The ferry does give a nice view of the castle.

My first trip was in 1993 at Caribbean Beach. I remember the bus stop as my first view of MK! But I was only 9, so I can’t remember it that clearly. I didn’t get the ferry view until I was 34!

We LOVE having a rental car and it completely changes the vacation for us in regards to late night travel, dining at resorts far from our resort, etc. Just gives us flexibility. We do love the ferry transportation and monorail if staying at resort with those amenities, but for far away places the rental car is a game changer for our family personally.

Too funny... We drive to WDW from NE when we go so our car is with us regardless. We always say this is the year we will take the WDW bus. Then we see a crowd of people waiting for the bus and head to the car. Maybe next year. I think it also might be the fact that I use public transportation to commute to work everyday so driving is a welcome change. lol Plus, I use an app to start the car well before we get to it so its nice and cold when we get in.

We used to rent a car until we started using Minnie Vans or Uber/Lyft. Minnie Vans are our first choice because they can drop off/pick up at locations that Uber/Lyft can't. When a Minnie Van isn't available, we use Uber/Lyft. Cost comes out about the same as renting a car (maybe a little more, but not much).

We always rent a car while staying on-property and love it! Saves time and allows us to stay at the parks later. It's great to be able to drive straight to the resort after a long day with tired kids. It also gives us the flexibility to stop at the grocery store before going to the resort to get breakfast food, water and snacks.

I'm on vacation I don't want to drive or deal with traffic. We just take Uber/lyft along with monorail and boats. Glad you found something that works for your family. I can imagine the double stroller being a issue with Uber lyft and busses.

I notice a lot of people talk about bad traffic getting to the parks. Where exactly is the traffic? When ever we stay on site or at WBC we have never had an issue driving to or from the parks...

That would be a hard no from my kids. It’s not a Disney vacation without the Magical Express!

I don’t mind the buses in general. If we aren’t up for the end of the day bus crowds, Uber has served us very well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter