Removing seats from a minivan

leebee

DIS Veteran
Seeing as The DIS is a treasure trove of experience and knowledge, I thought I'd ask here as I am not finding answers elsewhere. Is it possible to rent a minivan and fold down/remove the seats? I know it can physically be done, so I guess my real question is, do rental agreements prohibit this?

I have not see this. Also where would the seat go? The back has all the car seats. For what purpose are you looking for this?

Perhaps research which common makes of mini vans have second & third row fold down seats, and then seek those out at various rental companies? Maybe confirm when booking the rental that that model is what you'll get?
At least, that is what I think I'd do. I had a similar situation in needing to know how exactly the seats folded down in SUV's when I got a new one, and drug my husband round to several dealerships to specifically see how it was when the seats folded down, so I understand!

Good luck!

If you want to leave the seat at the rental location the answer is no. If you remove it at home and take your trip, well how would they know? Unless there is a problem they won't.

If you want to leave the seat at the rental location the answer is no. If you remove it at home and take your trip, well how would they know? Unless there is a problem they won't.
^^^ This.
When DS was in college out of state, now almost 25 years ago, we rented a minivan locally, removed the back seats, storing them in our garage, and used the space to haul his gear to or from campus. We did this his first two years, until he moved into an apartment and had his own car.

You would have to be prepared to pay for any damages that may happen.

What are you looking to move that you need to remove the seats?

If you rent a Chrysler Pacifica or Dodge Caravan they have Stow and Go seats. The second and third row will fold into the floor. There is no need to remove them from the van. The only exception is the hybrid version of the Chrysler Pacifica but I doubt many rental companies would have that version.

We need to move a bookcase and a bureau or 2 from CT to ME. Uhaul prices are prohibitive because of the distance. I'm pretty sure that stow-n-go seating will work; I just didn't know if there's anything in the rental contract specifically prohibiting this.

I'm not sure if it's against the rental agreement but I have done it a few times. One time I did find that seats were tethered to the car with the same thing they sometimes use as a key chain in rental cars, the small steel cable in plastic. Just had to break that off, can remember if I used a pair of snips or was able to break it off by pulling the seat. Nothing was said upon return of the minivan.

@leebee are you getting U-Haul rates as a local or one-way? One-way rates are significantly higher, but usually local, with unlimited miles. Some Enterprise locations do have pickup for rent. Enterprise Large Pickup rental
Thanks, @SteveH. One-way is the only option as it's about 400 miles each way- but there's no way we're paying that in mileage. It'd be cheaper to replace the furniture! I also looked at Enterprise, but the closest one with trucks is two hours south of here.

Actually... I just found a rate through Alamo for a pickup truck. $150 with an AAA discount for a three-day rental with unlimited mileage. We'd worked out a complicated arrangement, borrowing a minivan from a relative who lives half-way between our home and where the furniture is, but it's well worth the $150 to not have the hassle of multiple round trips and borrowing someone else's vehicle! Now we are just hoping that it doesn't rain this weekend!

We rent minivans a lot now when we travel and 9 times out of 10 they are either Chrystler Pacifica (formerly Town & Country) or Dodge Caravan. Those have stow-and-go seats. We did get a Toyota Seinia one time.

You can remove the seats and store them at your house There is not law against it in a rental contract

As someone said, there are also plenty of vans that have stow & go seats which is much easier than removing them. Unless specifically offered and this would more than likely have to be at a major airport, you cannot specifically request one. If they have one when you get there then that's different but they are not going to set a specific model aside for you.

--

I just saw you're going to rent a pickup. You can obviously do that and you can obviously move furniture with it. If it rains, though...you'll need to tarp it. Don't try to tow a trailer or something with it. All rental contracts prohibit towing with a pickup. If you break down because you're towing something then you won't like the outcome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!