Reluctant to go w/ 3 month old!!

Twoears

Mouseketeer
Can't decide whether or not to go with DS who will only be 3 months old. It is very hot and I am concerned that he will be uncomfortable in the stroller. Any advice? This will just be a 3 day trip and we also have another DS who is 4. My DH wants to take me for my 30th b-day. I really want to go, but I also want to have a happy baby. How do you take infants to the restaurants? Do you use the baby carrier? DS weighs about 17 pounds, so the carrier would be heavy. Anyone else take an infant in July?

Hi
I too was concerned about taking DD who will be six months when we go. We're going in September when it's quite humid. I'm going to keep her mainly in light cotton clothing ie vests and shorts or even just vests. I'm getting a stroller with a canopy to keep her in the shade as much as I can and will go in and out of the air con as much as possible and plenty of sunscreen.
For swimming I bought an all in one uv protection suit it has long sleeves and full length legs.
I think she should be okay from what I hear babies adapt remarkably well. Doesn't stop you worrying though;) HTH

If the day you pick can be flexible, perhap picking the coolest day. Most sunscreen's are recommended for children 6 months and older, so lots of shade and indoor stuff. BTW, I was told that the reason it's 6 months is because no tests have been done for children younger than 6 months. I have used sunscreen on my children younger than 6 months, my kids are now 2 and 8. MK has lots to do indoors, so you can rest comfortably in AC several times a day. Break for lunch at a monorail resort ~ baby might nap while you enjoy a birthday lunch! My son napped during a nice lunch break at GF. Lots to drink! Dehydration in any one is yucky. Use your MOMMY RADAR. What do you really think you should do? S

My DD was 5 months on our May trip. We kept her in light clothing and took lots of breaks. Check with your pediatrician about the sunscreen. Ours gave us the go ahead and everything worked out fine. Otherwise, keep your child in a wide brimmed hat and use a stroller with a canopy.

As far as restaurants go, some were willing to allow us to bring the stroller inside (though we never asked). DD likes to sit on my lap during meals (even at home), so I pretty much held her while I was eating since she wasn't sitting reliably yet.

HTH

--Kathy

My DD was 3 months old on her first trip....It was an extremely hot end of Aug. trip....We dressed her in light weight clothing and she was fine in the stroller....we tried to plug in as many inside AC shows as possible during the really hot days...She actually loved the shows...watched the movement and colors intently..

I'd say go for it....She is the youngest of 4 and during this trip the other kids were DS 4, DS 5 and DD 6 and the trip turned out just fine.

I am a lifelong Floridian . . . .

My MIL decided to host a family vacation at Animal King when our (then) youngest was 3 months old. It was May.

We went at 8am to catch the Safari. Saw a couple shows. Ate our brown bag lunches and left by 12:30p. It was too hot. Baby didn't even want to nurse because I was so hot and sweaty.

Since you have the option of waiting, how about a trip in NOVEMBER?

I would go. We are taking DS 3 and DD who will be 3 months in August. Our plan is to do the parks only in the morning until lunch time and then go back after dinner. This way everyone gets naps and pool time during the day. I've noticed that DD HATES the baby carrier because she gets really hot and sweaty in it. I plan to just use the stroller in the parks and hold her if we decide to eat at a restaurant in the park. Remember the baby care centers if you need to find someplace to cool down with the baby. Get the mister bottles from Walmart and Toys R Us also sells an umbrella that attaches to the stroller for shade. With a little extra planning I'm sure the trip will be fun for all!!

We will also be taking our 3 month old at the beginning of August and I just ordered a bendable stroller fan from OneStepAhead.com...I really hope this helps a lot since I am pretty nervous also!! Good Luck and Have Fun!!!
Angie~

I've lived in the "hot and humids" most of my life and had little babies. I've taken them everywhere, including outdoor activities at a very young age. I don't use strollers for children under a year old. I sling my babies. it does get hot and as someone mentioned they sometimes will protest nursing if they are too hot. Fortunately, there are baby centers that you can go to to cool off and encourage nursing. You could always do early mornings and late evenings and spend the hottest part of the days at your resort. (Or shopping at DTD!)

If you do decide to go, wear cool clothes and if you get thirsty and hot chances are your baby is thirsty and hot!

:earsgirl:

WDW is an expensive enough vacation without having to worry about "doing" this or that. Dehydration, sunburn, blah, blah, blah.... If you can go in mid- November/early December, I would do it then. Value rates, low crowds, more mild weather. We also live in FL and I wouldn't subject my 4yo to that kind of uncomfortableness (never mind myself!). I agree witht he ohter Floridian- wait and go in the fall. The weather has been awful this summer- MUCH more rain that usual. All day kind of rain, rather tha afternoon showers.

To be honest, I would be very hesitant to take a 3 month old, too! They are too young to wear sunscreen, can burn severely, dehydrate easily and can get awful heat rash.

I see you live in Florida, so I would suggest waiting until the weather is cooler, and plan a day trip and see how that works out.

I'd wait, too, since neither of your kids is in school. Take advantage of shorter lines and cooler temps. You also will do better on hotel cost in the low season. A 6 mo. old will get more enjoyment than a 3 mo. old. I'd wait, but I'd definitely go.

I decided 10 years ago or so when DH and I were at WDW with no kids yet that I would never spend hard earned money and vacation time toting around an infant at WDW. I could not believe all the crying (parents and babies).....
I did not see anybody that was happy with hauling around an infant, the diaper bag from hell, or baby bottles etc,

I would put it off as long as you can, like 4 or 5 years, summer or winter.

We were just there in May, and looking at the families with young babies, I just felt sorry for most of them. I love my kids, but I want to have fun at WDW too, so that is why we waited till they were older, and it was fun for them.

My friend waited until her daughter was 6, and it was the perfect time! If you live close, however, taking them younger wouldn't be as much of a question of money, but I would at least wait until they could walk and talk.

Originally posted by IowaGirl
I could not believe all the crying (parents and babies).....
I did not see anybody that was happy with hauling around an infant, the diaper bag from hell, or baby bottles etc,

We were just there in May, and looking at the families with young babies, I just felt sorry for most of them.

Well, I hope you weren't feeling sorry for me, if you saw me with my 5 month old in May. We had a fantastic time. We carried the bare basics in the diaper bag, and no need for bottles, since DD is breastfed. It was a little more work than when DH and I didn't have any kids. However, I would suspect that as she (and hopefully our hypothetical future children) get older, it will only become more of a challenge because everyone will have an opinion on what to do and where to go. At 5 months, DD just went with the flow. She loved most of the rides that she went on (she was laughing hysterically in IASW), and she absolutely loved swimming in the pool.

So, you can choose not to go with your young children, but please don't feel sorry for those of us who take babies.

--Kathy

Here Here Kathy!!

I have taken my dd pretty much everywhere since the day she was born. She has learned so much from these experiences, and is confident in many situations - I wouldn't have given up any of those days out or vacations for the world. Sure, we had the occasional bad day - just as we do at home, but overall we had a superb time.

To answer the original question - we took our dd to Majorca at 7 months. Majorca is a little different to WDW, but still hot and humid, and plenty of people told us we were mad. We had the best vacation - we had a reclining stroller so baby could sleep. I carried plenty of bottles (no great hardship with a stroller), and she had a sunshade on her stroller so she was in the shade.
She loved the swimming pool - but we also took day trips.

If we had lived closer to WDW then I would have had no hesitation in taking her there.

My only slight reservation has nothing to do with the baby - but July will be hot and crowded, if you wait until September then it will be a less crowded and baby will be sitting better which will make restaurants a bit easier.

Bev

We have decided to go and try out the AKL. We will not be doing the parks, only hanging out at the resort. We have been wanting to try out the AKL but we were hesitant because of the location. We are planning a week next spring when the baby will be a year old and then we will stay at the Poly (our favorite). Thanks so much for all of the replys. Only 4 days to go!!!

Go, have fun, and bring sun screen! Check with your pediatrician, but as far as I know, the American Academy of Pediatricians now suggests using sun block, even on young babies - your baby is not too young for sun block.

And I hope nobody felt sorry for me either when we had a blast with my 18 month old one trip, and my 2 1/2 year old and 8 month old the following trip. We all had a great time together as a family. We let our kids' needs set the pace. We always took breaks, and did not go out from morning til night. The kids loved everything. And, we didn't carry some crazy diaper bag....no bottles (breast-fed)...just a few extra diapers and some wipes...no biggie...My kids love to travel and I love to travel with them!!!

Can't wait for our next trip (Oct.) with my 4 year old, 2 year old and 9 month old!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter