RELAXED Universal Trip Report 11/22 to 12/5/2020

KProuty

Mouseketeer
Background.

Hubby and I are staying at Marriott Cypress Harbour combining work, vacation, vitamin D intake through sunshine to ward off Covid, and usage of our annual passes (preferred and seasonal.) My hubby uses a scooter due to leg issues and he can walk short distances slowly using trekking poles. He uses an unusual scooter.

Hubby at Marriott Cypress Harbour

We are both in our late 50's. We have been on low carb since we made that website so our weight is good now. (Look at hubby there versus this pic at Marriott Cypress Harbour.) We are in excellent health.

We drive down from MA because our Toyota Sienna van has a lift in the back.

This trip combines Universal and various offsite attractions. We normally would never go during Thanksgiving because we don't like busy, but this is Covid. We had our Thanksgiving the Friday night before we left with close family.

We arrived on Sunday afternoon and went to the Maggiano's near the convention center because I had a gift certificate. We ate in. Food and service was spectacular. Mask wearing until you get to the table and then we could take them off. I showed them my electronic gift certificate number and that paid the bill. They also had a special where with each entree purchase you could take another classic pasta entree home for $5. Great deal! We did this to have lunch the next day.

Hubby at Maggianos

Monday we both worked. I worked on the patio and hubby worked at the desk in the living room. We ate leftovers for lunch. We also made our own breakfasts, eggs, bacon, and yoghurt with supplies we brought in a cooler from MA.

Monday night we ate at Bahama Breeze near the Convention center outside with another gift certificate. Their chicken wings are the BEST! They are smaller than they were PreCovid, but I assume that is a supply issue. Service, cleanliness, both great.

Hubby at Bahama Breeze with patio dining.

Tomorrow, Tuesday, our first evening at Universal!

I removed the link about the scooter

it is against disboard rules to advertise the company without approval from the owner of the Disboards

That is fine. We don't sell the scooters. Never got a penny from them. It isn't our company. The site talks about my husband's disability and how he uses it. but that isn't necessary for the trip reports.

Tuesday. Work and Universal.

I'm writing these trip reports to help others because I have learned so much from other travelers over the years. If I can help someone else, it is worth doing.

I worked up until 5 of 5 and we raced over to Universal to make our 5:45 appointment at Mythos.

We went to the parking garage. I had to show my pass and my license for free parking. We have a handicapped placard on our car. We put on our flashers and we were directed to the King Kong parking area. When we were here in February, we were directed to handicapped parking. This time we were waived away and parked in the very back of the parking garage. Just a warning, if someone had trouble walking or didn't have a scooter, they would have had a hard time getting to the entrance. The moving walkways weren't running. I didn't see any wheelchairs, and the walk was LONG because we were in the back of the parking garage. Maybe this is because they don't have valet and the more expensive passes come with valet so they were now in front area of the parking lot? The parking area seemed full. If you are in this situation, I would try to drop off the person who has trouble walking at the right side of the garage towards the front. At least they wouldn't have to walk the full length of the parking lot.

Temperature check and security was no problem though.

Going into Universal we had to scan our pass and use our fingers.

They had a comedian on the balcony of Cowfish greeting everyone. This is a great idea. It helped with the party atmosphere. We couldn't stop because we wanted to make our reservation.

Walking into the park, I was trying for a virtual line queue for Hagrid. We haven't been on it. We weren't able to find anything at this time, but I would keep trying thanks to someone posting that slots open up later.

We got to Seuss landing and enjoyed the decorations as we raced through. We saw the Whos singing and Cindy Lou greeted us.

We got to the restaurant and they seated us right away. My husband took his scooter to the table and then I brought it outside.

I got the grilled cheese in tomato soup that I read about on here. I never would have gotten it except for the rave reviews, and the reviews were right. Who knew that a grilled cheese and tomato soup, that I would never order in my life, I don't even like Bloody Mary's, would be so good? Hubby just thought it was OK (I made him taste mine), but I thought it was divine. He also ordered a cooked shrimp sushi appetizer that he liked. He got the cheeseburger for his main meal that he said was good as well. We didn't order dessert because I wanted to try Voodoo donuts later. While sitting at Mythos, I WAS able to grab a virtual line slot for Hagrid's though!

This was so delicious! Definitely not low carb, but worth it!

The theming in Mythos is first rate!

We wanted to walk around the park at night to see everything in the dark. We usually come to Universal at off times so the parks close earlier. It kind of backfired though. When hubby saw the line for Hagrids he didn't want to wait in it. So I went back into the app and deleted the slots so someone else could grab them. Hogwart's castle was breathtaking, even with only the one scene. I'm glad we got to see it at night. (should have gotten a pic of that! I was too caught up in the moment.)

Kong was another attraction that shines in the darkness. The yellow lights in the eyes make it! (Again, no pic!)

Toon Lagoon seemed empty. Of course, we were talking about how the cartoons probably didn't resonate with the kids of today. Popeye, Dudley Do Right, Olive. Kids probably only encounter them AT Universal. I wonder when they will do a complete retheming of that section of the park. They did have cute signs though. I sent an image to my kids.

Marvel really had no Christmas decorations, but all the rides were humming.

We went back to Seuss landing to enjoy what we missed the first time and then headed to Voodoo donuts. There was a 15 minute line to order if you didn't use the app. I quickly set up an account, used the app, and got to put in my passholder discount. The whole process of ordering to getting my donut s took about five minutes total. We got the Christmas ornament donut and the maple bacon donut that someone had told me was good. The Christmas ornament beat the maple bacon ornament by a mile! THAT was worth the carbs to split. The maple bacon not so much.

All in all it was a great evening and the perfect use of our Annual passes, which normally run out on December 1 but have been extended for three months due to the pandemic. We like to go to theme parks the week AFTER Thanksgiving, when the crowd is lowest and we can get the best deals and the weather, if extreme, tends towards the cool side. It was pretty busy for us except for Toon Lagoon. I can't imagine it if there wasn't Covid.

We intend to go back on Friday night for Big Fire and see how the crowds in the other side are.

Following along. Love the food reports. Grilled cheese and tomato soup are two of my favorites, and the sandwich IN the soup sounds great. I will have to try that. We have never eaten at Mythos but will definitely give it a try.
My husband might need to use a scooter next time . Can you give a few tips on how easy it is, or not, navigating Universal and any tips you can give us would be appreciated. (I'm not asking for any info on the actual scooter, LOL)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter