Relatively new to dealing with food allergies/intolerances and Disney.

JMSMommy

Mouseketeer
I have a 2.5 year old who is fairly severely Lactose Intolerant and he is also allergic to rice. We are headed to Disney in September, and I have already made all my PS/ADRs.

At home, I am able to watch the amounts of milk products he eats (with Lactaids) and watch the rice containing foods. Since we're on the dining plan, we've planned quite a few meals. His favorite food, chicken fingers, seems to always be available. However, from previous trips, I know that a common kids dessert is chocolate pudding. Would it be possible to get his made with soy milk? How would I make that happen?

I know I can give him Lactaid with each meal, but I prefer giving him alternatives to milk products when necessary (as 2 Lactaid are hardly enough for a slice of pizza which is another favorite). Since he'll be "free" and sharing meals with me, will it matter if I tell them that my dinners need to be rice free and soy milk where possible even though I am not the one with the food issues? I know you can by soy ice cream at a whole foods store locally, but does anyone know if I could get soy ice cream for him at Disney? Or Lactose Free ice cream?

We've built in 2 "off park" days where we'll give his system a break with no milk whatsoever planned (hoping to keep the 2 yucky side effects of lactose intolerance to a minimum).

So, do I contact each individual restaurant? Call back Dining Reservations and add the rice and milk thing to our ADRs? Both? I've dealt with ordering Vegetarian dinners on a previous trip, but that was very easy and most restaurants have a vegetarian meal anyway.

I noticed that the dessert for the Garden Grill has a chocolate fondue type of thing? Does anyone know where I can find out which kind of chocolate they use (and are there alternatives to this dessert)? Another question I had concerns french fries (some fast food restaurants use lactose in them as a preservative), and I wondered if Disney did too? If we don't find out, we'll just skip those for him. For TS, will they substitue fries for veggies (without butter) or fruit? What about CS, could we substitute fruit for fries (I can't remember what the CS had from previous trips...last one was EASY since he wasn't really on table foods yet).

:earseek: I can't believe I forgot about his food issues when I was making reservations!

THANKS!!!!!

I would definitely call back and note the allergies on your reservations. You will be given a number to call to speak with the chefs (you should call a week before your trip) or the number may connect you to the food service office for a particular park and that person will coordinate all the ADR for that park.

Here is a link to my trip report from May: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=818591&highlight=peanut+allergy+diabetic

My 3 yr old is severely allergic to peanuts/tree nuts (we would need an ambulance if he even touches a peanut - much less eats it!) and is also a type 1 diabetic. It is the food allergies we have the most trouble with. Disney chefs are great. I think even though you aren't paying for dinner because of your child's age, they will take the same care and prepare special foods if need be.

I HIGHLY suggest contacting Brenda Bennett of Magic Kingdom foods (I'll find her # and post it here) - she will send you an email with attachments that list many of the items in the carts and counter service places that would be safe (or unsafe) for your child. I also contacted her with questions about specific foods and she was able to help me right away (even while we were actually at WDW). She is top notch.

There is a person like her who coordinates special food requests at Epcot and they should be able to check with chef and arrange a fondue your child can eat or a different dessert. We had our best experience with Le Cellier at Epcot and Cinderella's Royal Table at the MK - and Crystal Palace at the MK too! All of the chefs were very willing to make substitutions at the sit-down places and at Pepper Market at the CSR. Many times we were able to arrange (in advance) a hotdog for him to eat even if it wasn't on their usual menu. We also got fruit instead of cookies, etc. They would make him rice or noodles, etc and vegetables not on the menu. Nothing super fancy of course but things we knew he would eat and they were likely to have on hand (like broccoli or tomatoes, etc.). All of the chefs were very accomodating with substitutions. My guess is they can arrange allergen free meals and desserts without a problem.

As for making your meals allergen free it might be they could make a version of the things you think he'd want to share with you - or alert you to the things that contain the allergens you want to avoid giving him. My husband and I ate off the menu - even some things that William couldn't have (like some of the desserts on the buffet) but we made sure he had things he DID like. You would know best how much your child expects to eat what you eat - our 3 yr old generally doesn't pay attention to OUR food but what his older brother gets - LOL! So that is what we try to accomodate (safe choices for him that are similar to his brother's meal).

I'm happy to discuss any of this with you if you want to PM me. We were there in May and we just got back last week from our 2nd trip this year - we had a wonderful time all around and they are fantastic about dining! :goodvibes

JMSMommy,

I have two children with food allergies -- DD6 is allergic to peanuts, DD3 is allergic to tree nuts. Like Selket, I have had nothing but positive experiences with the chefs at WDW, however, it requires some advance work.

Selket is right -- you should call and add your allergy information to your dining ressies. I was told once by a CM at the DVC reservation center that they like to know as early as possible about guests with food allergies. She explained to me in most WDW kitchens in non-counter service restaurants have a big white board in them. At the beginning of each week they post a schedule of expected diners and their food allergies/restrictions. This way, the executive chef has time to plan and make special arrangements. Yes, they are certainly capable of handling a last minute request, however, on more than one occasion a special dessert has been made for my children simply because they have had time to prepare.

You should also contact Brenda Bennett. She is full of useful information. I have found that phone numbers change frequently at WDW, so here's what I do. In advance of each trip to WDW go to www.waltdisneyworld.com. I find the "contact us" area and send a message about my child's food allergies. They send back a letter that includes the phone number of the food and beverage directors for each park -- Brenda Bennett's number will be there for the Magic Kingdom. As Selket has said, she has a lot of useful information and often forwards information regarding food in the other parks. I call each number and ask that they email me any information they have. I print out a few copies -- I always carry a set with me in the park -- and we're good to go. In the 5 trips my daughters have made in the last 4 years we have not had a single reaction.

Also, when you check in at any restaurant you are dining in, whether you have a ressie or not, restate your food allergy. When you place your order, restate your food allergy. Usually, a chef will come out and review the menu with you. Also, this allows your server to alert the kitchen staff as to which order is for a guest with a food allergy. The chef at Artist Point told me to do this. He said that when they know they are preparing an order for a food allergic guest each person on the line in the kitchen puts on a fresh pair of gloves when your plate comes to their station.

Man, I love WDW!

DVCDawn ::MinnieMo

P.S. We have received the same careful attention at Vero Beach, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter