Registered Nurse: New Job opportunity, not sure what to do

You cannot underestimate the commute. If perfect driving conditions is a 60 minute commute, add in accidents, rush hour, winter weather, etc

You need to make that drive during normal working hours

If you have to be at work at 5:30 am some days, you need to leave your house by 4:15am. Which means you are getting up around 3ish. Which means going to bed around 8. Can you do that? Can you flip your sleep schedule easily? Then work 12 hours and then drive an hour safely? Get home 6:30ish. Then do it again?

Realistically, at this age, with your family pretty set in its schedule, can you do this? Are you ready to miss out n family dinners? Family evenings? Is your husband willing to take on more?

It is about so much more than money. This schedule will exhaust you. No money increase is worth that.

Hi all,

Too many people to quote , I know you all had alot of questions

Bottom line I have decided to stay where I am . There are just too many unanswered questions. After the interview the manager told me not to hesitate to contact her with questions. Both times I emailed her it took several days and a resend of my email for her to get back to me.
Then in the last email I asked her a specific question about the schedule, again 2 days to return my email after I emailed her again with not sure if you received this but.... then she cc's 2 other people in the email when she answered me.
Its probably the people who make the schedule but I dont know that and it made me a little uncomfortable.
Fine cc someone , I've done it but have always told the recipient I'm cc'ing someone and who they are.

Her answers are very vague, non committal. Some of the questions are things she promised in the interview, Thursdays off, planned vacations, now shes hesitant to put it in writing . It's happened to me before, now I'm wiser
Empty promises that disappear once a commitment is made.

The drive is long. We live in PA so snow and ice are an issue too.
Thank you Pea, and all who contributed. I think deep down I knew the answer but I just needed some confirmation

Just after I posted this the other day...

I won't get into a lot about how working in the hospital environment has changed a ton other than to say that it can be very challenging to give the type of humanistic care we want to give while having to document continuously in the electronic record knowing that ongoing quality audits will reveal if you're not keeping up with all the mandates, which adds to the stress of the day especially when there's a problem with your patient(s) and you of course, fall behind and have to try to play catch up later. This is not something that ever lets up now, and starts the minute you walk in the door and doesn't end until you walk out. Every. Day. You might say you do this now. But people are sicker in hospitals like this, and often have multiple comorbitities, and need additional care - as do their families.

... I saw this article.

It is by written by, and about, physicians, re: burnout. But nurses can say much the same things. (Our "crisis" isn't far behind, I'm sure!) People really need to pay attention to this, because the whole landscape of providing care has changed with "relentless" electronic medical record documentation.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...ll:trending&s_campaign=bdc:globewell:trending

Hi all,

Bottom line I have decided to stay where I am . There are just too many unanswered questions. After the interview the manager told me not to hesitate to contact her with questions. Both times I emailed her it took several days and a resend of my email for her to get back to me.
Then in the last email I asked her a specific question about the schedule, again 2 days to return my email after I emailed her again with not sure if you received this but.... then she cc's 2 other people in the email when she answered me.
Its probably the people who make the schedule but I dont know that and it made me a little uncomfortable.
Fine cc someone , I've done it but have always told the recipient I'm cc'ing someone and who they are.

Her answers are very vague, non committal. Some of the questions are things she promised in the interview, Thursdays off, planned vacations, now shes hesitant to put it in writing . It's happened to me before, now I'm wiser

Thank you Pea, and all who contributed. I think deep down I knew the answer but I just needed some confirmation
I'm glad you made your decision! I agree, I think it's the right one. I think if it was closer, and you could easily go back to your current job if it didn't work out, it might be worth a try. But over an hour away would be quite a grind.

Hi all,

Yea, vague, non commital answers & days to answer an email from a prospective employee doesn’t sound promising. I don’t blame you for passing regardless of the commute.

Just after I posted this the other day...

... I saw this article.

It is by written by, and about, physicians, re: burnout. But nurses can say much the same things. (Our "crisis" isn't far behind, I'm sure!) People really need to pay attention to this, because the whole landscape of providing care has changed with "relentless" electronic medical record documentation.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...ll:trending&s_campaign=bdc:globewell:trending

I agree Pea! In this world of frivolous sue happy people , its imperative to CYA over and over . I see our docs, certain insurances only pay for certain meds, some are on call all night then come in for another full day
Burnout is very real in all healthcare positions
With reduced staff, longer hours and more expectations, it's no wonder .

It has become all about customer service, and our patient satisfaction can weigh in on how much the center is reimbursed
So not only do we deal with sick patients , but God forbid we do something they or the family doesnt like and we get a not so stellar review, there goes the full reimbursement.
Things are just so different than when I graduated nursing school
I would never advise my kids to go into healthcare
There are so many opportunities out there for them with better working conditions, benefits and perks
My son is at the age that some of his friends have already graduated college and started in the work force at 21-22 making more money than me with better hours, more vacation, better perks

I wonder what it will be like in the years to come when we all start to retire
Very few of these new nurses want to do bedside , they want to be a PA , CRNA, CRNP and who can blame them

I agree Pea! In this world of frivolous sue happy people , its imperative to CYA over and over . I see our docs, certain insurances only pay for certain meds, some are on call all night then come in for another full day
Burnout is very real in all healthcare positions
With reduced staff, longer hours and more expectations, it's no wonder .

It has become all about customer service, and our patient satisfaction can weigh in on how much the center is reimbursed
So not only do we deal with sick patients , but God forbid we do something they or the family doesnt like and we get a not so stellar review, there goes the full reimbursement.
Things are just so different than when I graduated nursing school
I would never advise my kids to go into healthcare
There are so many opportunities out there for them with better working conditions, benefits and perks
My son is at the age that some of his friends have already graduated college and started in the work force at 21-22 making more money than me with better hours, more vacation, better perks

Very few of these new nurses want to do bedside , they want to be a PA , CRNA, CRNP and who can blame them

Bedside has gotten brutal period. Non-compliance, increasing obesity, frequent flying detoxers that ER docs really need to stop admitting...I can go on. Pair that with chronic understaffing, it's just not right.

you're gone from the house for appx 15 1/2 hrs, so not a lot gets done at home on those days,
Not an argument for or against, or with the quoted poster, but I would hope the husband and high-schooler would jump in or take over here.

Or management. Not many want to stay at the bedside. And even if they do, they don’t want to work nights, weekends or holidays. I always say, I am worried who will take care of us as we get old & need nursing care.

More health care dollars need to go to front line care givers, including increasing staff ratios. Pharmaceutical & insurance companies & upper management of health care institutions are taking too much profit & not putting money where it really needs to go.

Or management. Not many want to stay at the bedside. And even if they do, they don’t want to work nights, weekends or holidays. I always say, I am worried who will take care of us as we get old & need nursing care.

More health care dollars need to go to front line care givers, including increasing staff ratios. Pharmaceutical & insurance companies & upper management of health care institutions are taking too much profit & not putting money where it really needs to go.

I agree with all you've said
Dont get me started on pharmaceuticals.
Something needs to be done
Unlimited expense accounts, company cars, well over six figure incomes and on the flip side , people who need their meds cant afford them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts