• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

? regarding mister/fans

ShannonP

Mouseketeer
Can't wait...only a few more weeks...

I know they sell those mister fans in DW. Does anyone know how much they are? Is there any advantage to buying them at DW over buying the less expensive ones before I leave home? I thought I had read somewhere that if you purchase the ones at DW, they'll replace the batteries for free. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks...:Pinkbounc

The mister fans at WDW cost $14.95 or something ridiculous like that. We bought the cheapie ones at Target, put in fresh batteries before we left, and the batteries lasted the whole trip and didn't need replaced. And our cheapie mister fans have gone on 2 trips to WDW with us and are still going strong.

I think you could buy a fan & replacement batteries at home and still spend less than just the fan at WDW.

We bought one for my MIL at the AK one really hot day and laid out $16 for it. Moral of the story?? If you even remotely think you'll want one, buy it before you leave home!!!:D

Yikes:rolleyes: had no idea they cost this much in DW (should have known). Guess I'll add these to my list of things to buy before we leave...

Thanks!!!

We were in WDW in early June. My 16 yr. old daughter bought herself one for $16.00. They sell them all over the parks. The vendor told her she could fill it up with ice from any of the carts. That was nice of him because it was hot and humid. By the way they are bigger and heavier than the ones being sold at the local department chains.

I paid 18.00 in May for one of them even though I had one at home & forgot to bring it.

Bought the Disney misters--and yes, got batteries replaced. But the advice above is literally right on the money. Much better to buy the $5 Target version plus batteries and save the $10 or so per mister for something better at WDW. I'm sure you'll think of something good to spend it on!

But if you haven't bought one yet, good luck finding them! I was in my local Target today looking for them for our upcoming trip, and almost all of their summer stuff and garden stuff was gone, with the big 'Back to School' displays up already! Come on, stores; it's barely the 2nd week of July!:eek: The kids have only been out of school for a month; can't we wait until August for Back to School??? (No, wait, that's when the Halloween stuff goes up, right???)

Walmart has really cool "sport" ones for 6. Just got it last week!
My DD got a basketball shaped one (the top can beattached to a regular 'spring water' bottle though if you don't want to carry around b-ball bottle.)

Walmart has really cool "sport" ones for 6

Our local Wal-Mart has them marked down to $3.50. They are very cute. They had tons of them left.

I'm not a doctor or anything, but this is some advise I got from a CM I talked to on the phone, and I confirmed it with a friend that used to be in professional sports. Misting fans are NOT a good idea. All they are doing is "cooling off" your skin. What they don't do, is keep you hydrated. A common thing that happens, is folks apparently get hot and instead of drinking fluids, they start using the misting fans. Sure, it cools you down, but since it gives people the "sensation" of being cooled off, they forget to drink fluids. Then, they end up getting dehydrated, and are in worse shape than if they hadn't used the fans at all.

My friend recommended a moist towel (or espedially those "Aqua Scarf's) placed around your neck. This will help keep you cool (around the neck, because the blood flows closer to the skin there), and then just make sure to drink lots of fluids. You can buy one of those "Aqua Scarf's", or if you search this forum, I even saw someone with instructions on making your own. They only sell for about $4.00 at walmart, so you could buy 3 for the cost of one fan (plus no batteries to carry around), and they supposedly (at least the package on the ones I bought says) will stay full of water for 2 or 3 days on one "soaking".

I'm not saying not to get those fans. I'm just saying that from what I've heard, you would be much better off to try other means to keep cool.

This is just my 2 cents worth!

Originally posted by J&D

Our local Wal-Mart has them marked down to $3.50. They are very cute. They had tons of them left.

Where at in TX? Here in Amarillo I looked 2 weeks ago and they were still full price. Looks like I'll be headed back to The Smiley Store (as my 3 yr old calls it) to look for some. Thanks!!! :D

Where at in TX?

Near Houston!

Other places will probably put them on sale near the end of summer. I got one last year for $1.50.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter