Refurbishment Thoughts

disneynutz

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Does Disney strip away older DVC room theming and make the room look generic to push owners to buy the new resorts? Since DVC owners pay for the refurbishments, why don't they do a better job and do it more often? We stopped bringing extended family with us on vacation not knowing if we would get a run down room. DW's brother made the comment a few years ago that DVC was taking advantage of us as owners due to the condition of the room that we were assigned.

What are your thoughts on why DVC doesn't do a better job?

:earsboy: Bill

As a landlord myself, I understand the advantages of using the same paint schemes in all of your units. But I expect more from Disney than generic palates and decorating schemes. It also seems to be somewhat a generational preference, with middle aged to older folks, like me, appreciating a good theme, where those younger like simple, "uncluttered" almost industrial designs. I'll reserve final comment until I stay in a refurbished room at OKW, as photos may not be true to color...but just looking at the photos, I am not impressed.

Well I can't comment on the refurbs and budget for them, but I know even on the hotel side people are complaining about scaling back on the theming.

My thoughts on theming:

As far as bedding, it was all about the comforter. People tend to not like comforters because they were not always washed between guests. The current all-white w/ duvets ensures a clean bed ( I hope.....don't tell me otherwise.....PLEASE!!). I'm 100% on board with this one. I am guilty of requesting a full allergy cleaning and still stripping off the comforters and throwing them in the corner of the room because I did not trust that it was done. Can't tell you how many times I found hair stuck to the underside of a nasty comforter. Yuck. In which case I'd even request new sheets. That was super fun. But removing the comforter took the theming down more than a notch.

I think you will get many people who are not "Disney crazy" and want the location / convenience / perks of onsite but prefer a more "industry standard" hotel room. To be blunt, they find the over the top Disney theme to be.....tacky. I would ***think**** this would be less so on the DVC side vs Hotel side, but maybe not. I like the over the top Disney stuff so it never bothered me.

@disneynutz Does the budget for refurbs frequently have excess money? I mean, if not, dues would have to go up for more frequent / better refurbs, right? Are they just not using the $ wisely? Are the new resorts better themed? (I'm new to DVC so I really just do not know)

Last edited:
I hear a lot of complaining about the refurbs. Maybe I fall into the ‘younger generation’, but I’ve really liked all the refurbs I’ve seen so far. I thought the BWV and Beach Club refurbs were great. There are still Disney touches, you just have to hunt for them more which to me makes it fun and even more detail oriented than before.

I hear a lot of complaining about the refurbs. Maybe I fall into the ‘younger generation’, but I’ve really liked all the refurbs I’ve seen so far. I thought the BWV and Beach Club refurbs were great. There are still Disney touches, you just have to hunt for them more which to me makes it fun and even more detail oriented than before.
I agree. Love BWV as it is now. I think OKW is looking great. The Resorts still feel Disney to me, but they are fresh, clean and I enjoy the aesthetic.

I’m old old, but I have no complaints about the theming being toned down. But I refuse to stay at SSR (our favorite location) again until they replace the broken couches. The furniture there is just flat worn out.

I’ve rented out all my 2018 points (thank you David’s for making it so easy) and most of my 2019. I’ll probably just stay in a Marriott property.

Totally agree- since member dues pay for refurbs anyway, why not do it more often and increase customer satisfaction? Who wants to stay in a hotel room that hasn't been renovated in 14 years-- that doesn't scream 'luxury accommodation'.

When they doubled the refurb schedule from every 28 years to every 14 years in 2015 the change resulted in an impact to member dues of less than 1%! I would happily pay an extra 1% (and more) to have full refurbs every 7 years.

As for theme, personally I am a fan of highly themed common areas/amenities with rooms that are a little more luxe and toned down. That said I think they have gone a little too far in that direction with some recent refurbs. Small touches like adding some Disney artwork and a hidden Mickey or two would help.

They always say the renovation will be a 100% renovation. But look at OKW, in 2010, it was only about 85% and the bathrooms weren't touched other than paint. Now they were again saying it would be a 100% renovation at last year's member meeting and, once again, it's only about 50%. I don't mind reusing furniture like tables, but they need to use better paint and not the dark stuff that shows scratches right away. And whoever decided that alligator finish on the coffee table was appropriate was just nuts. Plus, brown furniture just doesn't say anything at all. I just wish they would keep the theme of the resort in mind when they renovate. Nothing about the OKW current renovation says Key West. The colors are all wrong. They removed the Key West map and shell pictures. I just hope they don't decide to repaint the outsides of the buildings to something other than the current pastels.

I like the new color schemes. I hate rooms that “scream” theming. The previous BWV studios were pink and green with a loud comforter and mismatched bed skirt. Yuck.

I like the refurbished rooms at BWV. I wasn’t sure until I just returned from a week at SSR. The room was in great shape, but it just seemed “old fashioned”. Some may say that is theming. Since we usually stay at BWV, and that is my point of reference, I would say I prefer the refurbishments. FWIW, I’m in my 50’s, since age seems to be a factor in who prefers what.

Hi Bill,

I like this question! I was a big fan of the earlier theming, but as time has gone on I am loving the new looks. They are more modern. I don’t agree that they are necessarily less “expensive”...just cleaner lines and fabrics. More updated. Anyway...that’s my vote.

I like the refurb looks at OKW, BC and BW a lot....the newer style in home decor are different and my home does not look like that ....but I like that the resorts do. i am super excited for SSR to get an update next year

I much prefer the newer rooms, those pre-refurb BCV and BWV rooms were a lot to take in, especially BWV. I would have no issue paying for more routine refurbs though. I have only stayed in one really run-down (In my opinion) room, and that was this past April at BLT, that room had seen much better days.

And what are the Disney touches at BCV? My nephew and his wife who fall into the younger generation were asking me within 30 minutes of arrival at our 2BR what had happened to the "Disney". The only thing I found was Mickey heads on the supports for the breakfast bar. And they were just left over from the original design. And I had said zero to them about my thoughts on the refurbs. It was their first stay at the resort - others have been at BLT and PVB and they liked the little touches at both of them with PVB being their favorite.

NAh, the theme is blanded down. It's like staying at a Comfort Inn. ANd they keep pulling out my beloved jetted tubs and replacing with a plain soaker tub. No good without full blown jets.

I'm not too concerned with paint schemes, Disney touches, or artwork in the rooms but I place great value in a well maintained and functional room. To that end, I'd like to see more frequent refurbs or at the least have some of the more worn down individual rooms taken out of service and fixed. As to why Disney doesn't do this, I don't really have an answer either unless they think members would rather put up with drawers that don't open or close properly, scuffed and nicked woodwork, sagging uncomfortable chairs and couches, missing inventory items and dirty upholstery/rugs than pay a little more in dues to rehabilitate the units in a more timely fashion.

My guess would be that Disney does not want to hurt their hotel cash cow. Looking at the Art of Animation recent family suite refurbs, it is very obvious that Disney feels there is a market for room theming. They are some of the most highly themed rooms on property. If they did that to the DVC rooms maybe they are afraid that DVC owners would take away even more of their room rental $$$.

Like you always say Disney is going to do what is best for Disney. I really like it when you say that. Now makes me happy that a I am able to say it in one of your posts.

Back to my original post, the new DVC rooms have plenty of theming, that seems to be removed after selling out the resort and the rooms get rehabed. They also seem to decrease maintenance and housekeeping after selling out the resort. At BLT and VGF, DVD had a housekeeper cleaning the lobby and glass every couple of hours. We ran into the lobby house keeper at BLT and she told us that the lobby only gets cleaned twice every day now.

:earsboy: Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter