Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Lodge

I used to be so excited about this DVC potential. But to look at it... how heartbreaking. It's like a modern art show gone wrong. Plus with them removing Circle D and the little petting zoo/pony rides, they really are taking away from the unique features of Fort Wilderness.

Then there are the giant parking lots.

I had thought they'd expand the parking lot for the entrance to Fort Wilderness and have people use the internal bus system. People could rent golf carts like the campground guests and perhaps the flavor of Fort Wilderness had a chance of ending up preserved. I grew up camping there and every trip I make sure to go to the Hoop De Doo, maybe take a hayride. There is nothing else like Ft Wilderness on property and it's transformative when you go there. Wildlife running around, waking up to deer and ducks on your campsite. Walking down to the General Store or Trails End with all the lush foliage. True magic.

My eyes must be playing tricks. Does the article actually say that they photoshopped the foosball table into the image? Why?????? :headache:

Looking closely, it seems to match the style and colors of the artwork. I don't understand why someone would erroneously claim the artwork was altered OR deliberately alter it. Very confused.

I'm probably the minority but I love the concept art and loved the Pocahontas statue. It made me actually excited to stay here someday and I never usually care for the concept. I always usually have to see the real thing.

My reaction to the concept art was “Is this a joke?” I’m guessing that it will actually look much better when the waves of “wind” are illuminated with natural light. But those wigwam-like pods for lobby seating just look oddly disconnected from airy appearance of overhead artwork. The whole thing makes me wonder what the storyline for this resort will be? Does Riviera have a storyline?

My reaction to the concept art was “Is this a joke?” I’m guessing that it will actually look much better when the waves of “wind” are illuminated with natural light. But those wigwam-like pods for lobby seating just look oddly disconnected from airy appearance of overhead artwork. The whole thing makes me wonder what the storyline for this resort will be? Does Riviera have a storyline?
European Bland Villas ;)

The whole thing makes me wonder what the storyline for this resort will be? Does Riviera have a storyline?

Resorts don't typically have detailed "storylines" or backstories in the same way a Disney attraction may. Most have a specific setting (Key West, Hawaii, New England seaside) and some are specific to a certain timeframe. Disney's Riviera Resort is inspired by early 20th century hotels along the Mediterranean coast.

Disney hasn't revealed much regarding Reflections, aside from this quote attributed to Terri Schultz: "...a celebration of Walt Disney's lifelong love and respect for nature."

The concept art for the lobby is just hideous. I considered using the word "tacky", but it's not even mildly kitschy enough to use "tacky".

Resorts don't typically have detailed "storylines" or backstories in the same way a Disney attraction may. Most have a specific setting (Key West, Hawaii, New England seaside) and some are specific to a certain timeframe. Disney's Riviera Resort is inspired by early 20th century hotels along the Mediterranean coast.

Disney hasn't revealed much regarding Reflections, aside from this quote attributed to Terri Schultz: "...a celebration of Walt Disney's lifelong love and respect for nature."
Actually, POR, POFQ and CSR have very detailed backstories. BRV was imagined as a Western railroad lodge and the pool has an entire “history” based on the “legend” of Georgie MacGregor. BWI has nods to Coney Island, Atlantic City and Margate. Stormalong Bay was “created” when the Albatross ran aground and dug the holes and rivulets that exist today. The GF was patterned after the Hotel del Coronado. It has numerous outer buildings because wealthy patrons of the del Coronado wanted private cottages that could house not only their family but also a bevy of servants that traveled with them. AKL is a lodge on an African reserve.

Some backstories are elaborate and others are somewhat vague. But Disney usually has some little bit of imagined history attached to each of its resorts. I’m just wondering where they might be doing with Reflections because other than being a lakeside resort similar to what one might find in the Adirondacks.

Actually, POR, POFQ and CSR have very detailed backstories. BRV was imagined as a Western railroad lodge and the pool has an entire “history” based on the “legend” of Georgie MacGregor.

Exceptions, but not the rule.

BWI has nods to Coney Island, Atlantic City and Margate. Stormalong Bay was “created” when the Albatross ran aground and dug the holes and rivulets that exist today. The GF was patterned after the Hotel del Coronado. It has numerous outer buildings because wealthy patrons of the del Coronado wanted private cottages that could house not only their family but also a bevy of servants that traveled with them. AKL is a lodge on an African reserve.

That's pretty much what I said--settings and time periods, some more specific than others. Disney has published a number of stories to the Parks Blog detailing inspiration for Riviera including European influences:

European-Inspired Amenities Coming for Disney’s Riviera Resort

The signature restaurant...

Inspiration for Signature Restaurant Coming to Disney’s Riviera Resort

Artwork...

Sneak Peek of Art Coming to Disney’s Riviera Resort

Even the pool slide...

VIDEO: Behind-the-Scenes Creating the Tower Slide at Disney’s Riviera Resort

I would hope similar details will eventually be revealed for Reflections. Seeing as though all we have are a press release and 3 pieces of concept art, we're probably about 2-3 years too early for that.

I'm not sold those images are legit.

Particularly with the photo shopped comment.

Are they on an official Disney site anywhere?

(Maybe wishful thinking on my part - that does not make me think nature or disney at all)

Last edited:
More pics added of food service area and staircase. I love the staircase, but my knees already feel wobbly from thinking about it (slight fear of heights).

The lights over the tables remind me of a pair my parents put up bedside back in the 70s. Hmm. I think they still have those.
A clean glass shade that illuminates a design would be nicer in my opinion.

I do love the animals painted on glass:

RL-Food Service.PNG

Last edited:
There’s a mural of Native Americans in the background of the food court picture. But some of the design elements, like those plant holders in the middle ground, feel industrial and very modern. I’m confused what they’re going for here.

Isn’t that lake infested with alligators? You couldn’t pay me to swim in there.
Almost all fresh water in Florida should be assumed to be potential grounds for alligators. It really isn't something unique to Bay Lake or Seven Seas Lagoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!