Reedy Creek position on property taxes

JimC

DVC Co-Moderator
If you have been following our efforts here in Florida to reduce property taxes you might be interested in the following that appeared to day in the Orlando Sentinel.

One thing that surprised me was the statement that Tishman owned the Swan and Dolphin. I was under the impression that they had a long term ground lease.

Anyway the property tax saga continues.

orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-reedytax0707aug07,0,1563694.story

OrlandoSentinel.com
No tax cut for Disney's district
Reedy Creek, the company-controlled government, will override a state cut in taxes.
Jason Garcia

Sentinel Staff Writer

August 7, 2007

Another Central Florida government is preparing to ignore the Florida Legislature's recent order to slash property taxes -- but, unlike others, it doesn't have to worry about igniting a revolt among tax-weary voters.

The Reedy Creek Improvement District, the obscure government created for and controlled by Walt Disney World, has only one voter it must answer to: Disney itself.

With Disney's blessing, Reedy Creek has informed the Orange County Property Appraiser's Office that it intends to override the property-tax rollback that state lawmakers imposed on local governments during a June special session.

Reedy Creek officials say abiding by the rollback would force them to eliminate $1.2 million in spending from about a $52 million operating budget.

That, they say, is simply too much to absorb for a district that covers nearly 25,000 acres and provides ambulance service, building inspections, mosquito control and more for Disney World and related businesses.

"It is very difficult to deal with this type of reduction," said Reedy Creek District Administrator Ray Maxwell. "You've got to reduce staff, reduce service to accomplish that -- and we don't normally like to reduce services."

Reedy Creek isn't the first Central Florida government to signal its plans to override the new property-tax law. That law requires cities, counties and special districts to cut between 3 percent and 9 percent of their property tax collections, but it includes a provision allowing any one to avoid the cuts provided at least two-thirds of its governing board approves.

The city of Leesburg, for instance, voted last month to opt out of an expected 7 percent cut. The city of Sanford decided to skip a 5 percent cut last week.

But ignoring the mandate is a lot less risky for Reedy Creek. Unlike elected officials in typical cities and counties, members of the district's five-seat Board of Supervisors don't face the prospect of angry homeowners voting them out of office during election season.

They're beholden to Disney instead. The company pays nearly $9 out of every $10 in property taxes Reedy Creek collects, and, as the district's largest landowner, controls board elections.

District officials say they checked with Disney about not adopting the cut. And a spokeswoman for Disney, which already stands to save millions of dollars when Orange and Osceola counties cut their own property-tax rates, said the company has no objections.

"We're confident that Reedy Creek will take the appropriate action to maintain a budget that will enable it to continue to fulfill its mission," spokeswoman Kim Prunty said.

Representatives for Reedy Creek's second-largest taxpayer, Tishman Hotel Corp., which owns the Swan and Dolphin hotels and a Hilton at Disney, couldn't be reached for comment.

Reedy Creek managers say they have good reasons for setting a higher tax rate. Tentatively set at $5.91 for every $1,000 of property value -- excluding taxes levied to cover debt payments -- the rate is about 18 cents per $1,000 higher than it should be under the Legislature's rollback.

The district is in the midst of building a $5 million fire station behind the Magic Kingdom to replace one of four existing stations. Officials want to outfit the facility with state-of-the-art 911 equipment rather than moving older gear from the old station -- but doing so would cost at least $1 million.

More ominously, Reedy Creek is about to begin negotiations with its firefighters union.

The last time the two sides sat down to negotiate, they spent two years at an impasse. It took a 16-hour session with a federal mediator before they finally struck a deal.

That contract actually expired last year. But the union missed a deadline to ask to begin talks, allowing Reedy Creek to simply tack another year onto the deal without adding a new raise.

"They like to drag it out," Rick Gorsuch, the president of the Reedy Creek Firefighters Association, said of district managers.

District officials also note that Reedy Creek, unlike most local governments, lowered its tax rate last year to offset rising land values -- long before the Florida Legislature stepped in.

For their part, the lawmakers who championed this year's tax-cutting package in Tallahassee say they don't mind if Reedy Creek ignores it.

"From their standpoint, it's probably fine," said Rep. Frank Attkisson, R-Kissimmee, who sponsored the rollback. "This is one of those, 'Who would have thought about it?' things."

Jason Garcia can be reached at jrgarcia@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5414.

Copyright © 2007, Orlando Sentinel

Sorry, newbie here, are the DVC land/s controlled by Reedy or do they fall in Orange and Osceola counties (where the deeds are issued from, correct?)

I don't know because I don't have mine yet.

This year's annual condo meeting could be rather entertaining ;)

No it won't. It's not like they will let you bring this up for discussion. This condo meeting is "window" dressing, not a substantive discussion.:rotfl2:

There's a trade off folks don't TALK about with these "roll backs" Something has to give. And if it's something like fire, then your insurance rates will rise.

Plus the amount of this "decrease" on each individual member would be pennies.... especially when you read the fact that the Property rates were already adjusted. (I didn't notice that "dramatic" decrese :rotfl: ) So IF they had accepted this "decrease" they probably would have had to go back to thier older higher rates....

I think Disney did the right thing. They probably know that if the services were cut they had to pick that up from thier operating budget. Disney gets a LOT of tax breaks etc from the FL legislature....

Sorry, newbie here, are the DVC land/s controlled by Reedy or do they fall in Orange and Osceola counties (where the deeds are issued from, correct?)

I don't know because I don't have mine yet.
The Reedy Creek Improvement District is sort of a municipality, but I believe it exists within two counties -- Orange and Osceola. Actually, I think that cross-county boundaries issue was one of the rationales for creating RCID in the first place.

The "tax reform" that was passed by the Florida Legislature a few months ago had two parts. One part goes into effect almost immediately and mandated rollbacks of taxes (both county and municipal) to the level of 2-3 years ago. However, there were a couple of "outs." One was that governments which were in financial trouble (the City of Miami was one) were exempt. Another option was the governing board of the government could vote to refuse to cut taxes.

I think the Legislature's thinking was that some local governments really could not afford to cut taxes, and also that no sane public official would vote to keep taxes high in the face of a legislative mandate to cut them.

They were wrong -- some city, and possibly county, governments have said simply, "No thanks -- we like our taxes right where they are." And so far, I haven't heard a lot of squawking from taxpayers.

The Reedy Creek Improvement District is sort of a municipality, but I believe it exists within two counties -- Orange and Osceola. Actually, I think that cross-county boundaries issue was one of the rationales for creating RCID in the first place....

It is a special governmental district created by the state in the 1960s giving Disney governmental powers, some of them quite interesting, over its domain. It is one of the reasons Disney did not want permanent residents on the property -- it wanted to maintain voting control of "its" governmental district. It acts like a municipality in that it handles zoning, building codes, levies taxes, issues bonds and the like. It could also have built an airport and a nuclear reactor for power generation (although I do not know if those last two are still in effect). The airport was part of WED's vision for the Florida project and it is not the largely abandoned landing strip near MK. The airport was to be in the southern part of the property.

...One thing that surprised me was the statement that Tishman owned the Swan and Dolphin. I was under the impression that they had a long term ground lease...

I had the same impression. It's possible the article uses "own" in a generic sense rather than a literal sense, i.e, Tishman owns the firm that operates the hotels. I don't think I would read too much into that sentence since the author also mentions Tishman's ownership of the Hilton which has reached agreement at the corporate level to be taken private by the Blackstone Group.

One thing that surprised me was the statement that Tishman owned the Swan and Dolphin. I was under the impression that they had a long term ground lease.

It is quite possible that he owns the hotels, but does not own the land that they sit on. The land may very well be leased to him and the agrrement gives him the liability for all propery taxes.

It is quite possible that he owns the hotels, but does not own the land that they sit on. The land may very well be leased to him and the agrrement gives him the liability for all propery taxes.

Yep. A triple net land lease will require Tishman to pay ALL maintenance, repairs, insurance, and real estate taxes on the property even if they don't own the actual land the hotels sit on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter