Record of Past DAS Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusinberre

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,
My family goes to WDW about once a year and we use DAS. I have read on here (and elsewhere online) that people are asked many questions and basically interviewed before they are given DAS. This has not been my experience at WDW. In fact, I have never been asked a single question during our past three trips. I think I now know why. During our most recent trip I noticed they had my picture on their system from a previous trip. So they keep track of your past visits and your DAS use. It was a strange experience because they just scanned my magic band and added it no questions - while the person in the next line over was being asked a bunch of questions. I know things at WDW change all the time so this might and probably will change too but I wanted to share my experience on here.

It’s also worth noting that I have a very obvious physical disability. My experience at WDW has always been amazing in relation to my disability. Two years ago my family went to Disneyland and we got asked many questions. We still got the DAS but it was a complete interview.

Also I wanted to share a DAS tip. If you don’t want to go to a ride to get a DAS time you can have them add it at guest services. This can save time and energy.

Our most recent WDW trip was December 2017. Before that was December 2015 (paper DAS, which I still had). Went I went to Guest Services this past trip I brought my paper DAS from 2015, handed it to the GS CM and said the last time I had visited was two years ago, and I would like to renew my DAS, which I now understand isn't paper anymore but electronic. I was asked no questions about why I needed it (though I was prepared to explain again why). They took a new picture, explained how to use it/how it was different from the old paper DAS, gave me some useful tips, made sure I knew I could use it during MVMCP (which is why we were at the park that day) and explained how to and what to do if I encountered problems, and I was on my way.

Even the first time I got DAS I was not asked a lot of questions. But I started the conversation with "I would like to get a DAS because..." and gave the primary reason. The CM started the process to issue it and I did not even have to get into the secondary reasons. I am guessing clearly articulating the reason/need up front in a way that gave them enough info to determine eligibility right away basically meant they did not need to ask clarifying questions.

SW

Yes it has been know that they keep your information I just go in and say I need to renew my DAS and that is that I have had some CM ask me if this is why I am there. You can ask for a return time at GR but only when setting up the DAS and only when the parks are open. I have had it done other times but it was the CM being nice. I wish there were a little more strict on going out a DAS I know some people that do not need it ( like one just has a mobility problem and uses a wheelchair and has no other needs but get a DAS) oh well.

I wish there was a way to get a DAS time without going to that location every time. It makes for a lot of extra travel. I agree there does still seem to be a lot of DAS abuse.

Many people who use DAS would never identify as disabled in the real world. This bothers me as I am disabled every day. I’m not disabled only while on vacation LOL

There are zero advantages to being a person with a disability. I’m 42 and DAS and disabled parking are the only things I can think of as possible advantages. And even then they just level the playing field so calling them advantages is not correct.

I love WDW because there seems to be a culture of respect amongst the CMs towards people with disabilities. This was however not at all my experience at Disneyland. We had several unpleasant and disappointing disability related issues at Disneyland. My able bodied husband calls people with disabilities the royalty of WDW.

Last edited:

I wish there was a way to get a DAS time without going to that location every time. It makes for a lot of extra travel. I agree there does still seem to be a lot of DAS abuse.

Many people who use DAS would never identify as disabled in the real world. This bothers me as I am disabled every day. I’m not disabled only while on vacation LOL

There are zero advantages to being a person with a disability. I’m 42 and DAS and disabled parking are the only things I can think of as possible advantages. And even then they just level the playing field so calling them advantages is not correct.

I love WDW because there seems to be a culture of respect amongst the CMs towards people with disabilities. This was however not at all my experience at Disneyland. We had several unpleasant and disappointing disability related issues at Disneyland. My able bodied husband calls people with disabilities the royalty of WDW.
You can not tell someone does not need a DAS just by looking st them my friend does look disabled but has no need for anDAS just like if you look at me you would more then likely think I do not need one. I just wish Disney would ask why you need s DAS my frien every was and even told me this is what I do not like

I agree with you 100% - you can’t tell by looking at someone rather or not they are disabled. My comment was more in the social political context of disability. Many people who use DAS and want to be labeled as disabled at WDW don’t identify as disabled at home and they don’t care about disability rights or advocacy. It bothers me that people can identify as having a disability only when it suits them. The larger disabled community could use everyone’s input and support.

The very first time a guest requests DAS is the time they may be asked questions/interviewed about their need for DAS. And, as Starwind mentioned, the clearer the guest can identify their reason for needing DAS upfront, the less questions the CM will need to ask.

Once the guest has been electronically put into the system for DAS, that record will show up when their ticket or Magicband is scanned in Guest Relations.
So, there is usually no reason for additional questions; the only times I can think of would be if the person had only used DAS soon after DAS begin when it was paper, had a temporary need or the system lost their record (very unusual).
The picture does sometimes disappear from the system - that’s happened to us a few times - but, we first used DAS for our daughter soon after it come out in late 2013 and her record has still been in on each visit since then.

As for why you might see a lot of things here and online telling people they may get questioned, the majority of people asking about DAS have not used it before (or may have used GAC before it was discontinued). We want to make sure they are prepared to discuss their needs or answer questions.

I agree with you 100% - you can’t tell by looking at someone rather or not they are disabled. My comment was more in the social political context of disability. Many people who use DAS and want to be labeled as disabled at WDW don’t identify as disabled at home and they don’t care about disability rights or advocacy. It bothers me that people can identify as having a disability only when it suits them. The larger disabled community could use everyone’s input and support.

How do you know this? Do you interview people in the queue at WDW or somesuch?

I have been going to WDW since I was a baby. Over the years I have heard many conversations about DAS and other disability issues between CMs and guests. Very seldom have I heared an adult actually say “I am disabled”. I’ve heard it said about children all the time but very seldom from adults. My career is in disability and I’ve been disabled since birth so I trust my gut. I’m sure there are other people with disabilities that know exactly what I’m talking about. I think some folks look at all the walking at WDW as a disabling condition in and of itself. But you raise a valid question. It’s just a a feeling I get. I might be wrong. I hope I am wrong.

I don't think there can be too much abuse of the DAS system since it really has no advantages unless you need it. In fact, just the opposite, using a DAS means missing a lot of cool experiences in queues at Disney. Since you must still wait the same amount of time, and only be waiting on one ride at a time, there is no longer any plus side for people who don't actually need it.

With most of the queues being accessible by ECV and wheelchair, it's way more fun to go through most of them, rather than just going sit somewhere. Some of the queues are experiences that equal the ride themselves. The Expedition Everest line never moves slow enough for me to spend the time I really want to looking at things.

If you were to ask me if I think of my self as Disabled at home most of the time you will get no, I say this because when I am at home I can accommodate my self without much help, There are things I will not do but for the most part I get along just fine. Now if you were a fly on the wall you would more then likely say I do have a Disability like this morning just to get dresses I put on 4 shirts before I found one that would feel right to me, and 3 pair of socks, ( and this is not counting the times I took my shows off to adjust my socks ) and then there was the two pair of shew since it was raining I could not wear my normal ones.The just to walk through one part my my house I have to help on to something so I will not run it to something else, then at church I will only sit on the outside of the pew, if the TV is on and someone is talking I have to mute it ( or pose it). ( and all of this was in a 2 hour of my day) but I do not think of my self as disabled. what I am saying is that some people do not think of them selfs as disabled but they do need help at Disney. I do not know if you think I need a DAS or not ( and I really do not care ) and I do think it is ok to talk to others ( I have had people ask me questions at Disney about my disability and what I do at the park ( and I have gotten ideas from others too) but if you just go on that someone does not need a DAS becasue they say they do not want to lable them sepf s as disabled in everyday life is when I have a problem with, so please do not do this. I am sure you would not want someone saying you are not Disabled because of XYZ or you Disability is not as important and someone else because of ABC. ( and I have no hard feeling towrds you I am just trying to show you another angle)

I don't think there can be too much abuse of the DAS system since it really has no advantages unless you need it. In fact, just the opposite, using a DAS means missing a lot of cool experiences in queues at Disney. Since you must still wait the same amount of time, and only be waiting on one ride at a time, there is no longer any plus side for people who don't actually need it.

With most of the queues being accessible by ECV and wheelchair, it's way more fun to go through most of them, rather than just going sit somewhere. Some of the queues are experiences that equal the ride themselves. The Expedition Everest line never moves slow enough for me to spend the time I really want to looking at things.

Sadly there are way to abuse the system ( and no I will not say how) I have had another gest walk up to me after I have gotten a return time and ask me if I was going to ( ___ fill in how you abused the DAS system) I was beyond angry at this person I am glad I walked away.

I love the EE que too bad I can not be in the que for long but I do agree it is very cool.

Sadly there are way to abuse the system ( and no I will not say how) I have had another gest walk up to me after I have gotten a return time and ask me if I was going to ( ___ fill in how you abused the DAS system) I was beyond angry at this person I am glad I walked away.

I love the EE que too bad I can not be in the que for long but I do agree it is very cool.

I'm sure that less than ethical people will always find ways to cheat. There will always be those that feel they are entitled and above the rules. Even so, the DAS system is much less abuse-friendly than GAC.

While I mentioned EE, there are many queues that I enjoy at WDW. The only one that gives me anxiety issues is Soarin' ... although not sure why. Because of that, I only ride it when one of my adult sons is with us, who uses a DAS, or if we FP it. The anticipation of waiting in a queue, even if the queue isn't the most entertaining, often makes the ride more rewarding as well.

We've obviously been to WDW and DL many times (per my signature), but it's only been in the last 2 years DD was identified as having a disability. She's now in a special needs classroom at school for all her academics. In chatting with her teachers a few months ago, they recommended that we apply for DAS for her on our upcoming trip. (I won't go into the reasons why, but it sure would make her trip easier if we don't have to keep abandoning rides after waiting in line for 40 minutes to take care of her needs).

My question is - can we apply at guest relations in Disney Springs? Our upcoming trip is only 1 day in the parks (hopper) and it would be great to not have to apply on our only park day. Or is there a guest services outside MK that we could visit the day before?

I'm sure that less than ethical people will always find ways to cheat. There will always be those that feel they are entitled and above the rules. Even so, the DAS system is much less abuse-friendly than GAC.

While I mentioned EE, there are many queues that I enjoy at WDW. The only one that gives me anxiety issues is Soarin' ... although not sure why. Because of that, I only ride it when one of my adult sons is with us, who uses a DAS, or if we FP it. The anticipation of waiting in a queue, even if the queue isn't the most entertaining, often makes the ride more rewarding as well.
I do agree with you the Das is less likely to be abused then the DAS. there are a number of lines I would love to do to (7DMT) comes to mind I will more then likely never be able to do it. I did do a 20 minute wait for PP flight ( had a meltdown after) but the line was really cool. Disney does such a good job with the lines and marking them fun.

We've obviously been to WDW and DL many times (per my signature), but it's only been in the last 2 years DD was identified as having a disability. She's now in a special needs classroom at school for all her academics. In chatting with her teachers a few months ago, they recommended that we apply for DAS for her on our upcoming trip. (I won't go into the reasons why, but it sure would make her trip easier if we don't have to keep abandoning rides after waiting in line for 40 minutes to take care of her needs).

My question is - can we apply at guest relations in Disney Springs? Our upcoming trip is only 1 day in the parks (hopper) and it would be great to not have to apply on our only park day. Or is there a guest services outside MK that we could visit the day before?

No you can not get a DAS at Disney springs

But remember Main Street opens up at 8am and GR will open then too so you can get your DAS before the park opens and if the park is already open ask for a return time.

It does not take long at all just think of her needs in line and let the CM know.

Expedition Everest aside, most people would like the option of using the restroom, getting a snack, or riding another ride rather than stand in any queue for an hour or two. The number of people who are truely comfortable standing in a line with lots of other strangers is pretty small.

Expedition Everest aside, most people would like the option of using the restroom, getting a snack, or riding another ride rather than stand in any queue for an hour or two. The number of people who are truely comfortable standing in a line with lots of other strangers is pretty small.

I agree with that if the line is an hour or two. We go to Disney often, but only during the slower weeks. I'd never enter a queue with over a 20 or 30 minute wait time.

As far as Disney's stance on it, I can imagine they would prefer that guest be out spending money on food and souvenirs, rather than have them standing in line, not spending a dime. The DAS is a win/win for them even if people who don't need it get them.

You are kidding right? hmmm missing some "cool" queues, or having an unlimited ability to get fast passes? For rides like FOP where fast passes are almost impossible to come by being able to use the DAS is a huge advantage. While you use up your 3 hour wait using one of your 3 daily fast passes, getting a snack, etc. the guest without a DAS is waiting in that 3 hour line cause they could not get a fast pass at all. To even say that the DAS is not an advantage is being dishonest. Please, really? You know you don't have to just sit somewhere and wait your time to ride. You know you can use your fast passes, or find a ride that doesn't have a long wait, or just about anything else. You really think standing in a line is better than that? I have stood in lines, and not stood in lines in cool queues, much prefer to not stand in lines. I really doubt honest people are saying darn it I want to stand in that cool queue for 3 hours rather than use my fast pass to wait 15 minutes. Pffft..

Not available at Disney Springs; only at Guest Relations at one of the 4 Theme Parks.

Some people have reported being able to get DAS at Guest Relations outside of parks, but I would not count on it and would definitely not make a special trip to MK. Guest Relations outside of the parks are often limited to guests who need a ticket issue solved before they can go into the park.
As was already mentioned, Guest Relations inside each park is open whenever guests are in the park. So, go early and stop there.

I am closing this thread because the question has been asked and answered and the thread is now getting into areas other than answering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter