Recommendations for home photo printer?

YodasMom

Dis Veteran
I'm considering purchasing a photo printer and was wondering what people's recommendations and experiences are with home printers designated for this purpose. I have an all in one printer for office documents so I'm looking solely for a printer that will be used for photo processing. I'm kind of picky about the quality so I would like one that performs well.

Thanks for your help! :goodvibes

I've been real pleased with the Canon line of photo printers. My current one is an i960. I'm sure it's an obsolete model now, but look at their current line of 6 cartridge photo printers.

I would look at the Epson photo printers. The R800 is a great printer. It uses pigmented ink so it has a long archival life. www.wilhelm-research.com for archival information.

Since it uses pigmented inks instead of dye based inks the print will also be water resistant and smudge proof.

I love mine. It has individual ink cartridges and the ability to also print on cd's.

Yes,
in the UK one of the gadget shows on TV did a comparison between the prinetrs and the Epson C800 came out on top. The canon did very badly on ink retention/fading

Thanks for all the great ideas!!

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the portable Epson Photomate or Picturemate, or the HP equivalent. Also, wondering about the HP 8450 or 8250?

I have the Picturemate and the PictureMate deluxe. They are great printers!!! They have the longest archival life, cost per print is the cheapest, they do true borderless. Very easy to use.

The Epson R800 is great! Relatively inexpensive, makes beautiful prints, and archival.

Price and quality-wise you can't beat Walmart prints! Inkjet printers will print nice pictures but the quality won't be the same as if you had the pics printed at a photo-finishing place..... AND ink for those things is rediculously expensive! Between the cost of the photo paper and the ink pictures can run you between 50 cents and a dollar! Walmart (in Canada anyway) prints 4x6 pics for around 20 cents!

The prints done on certain ink jet printers will last longer than those done at a photo finishing place. Cost per print on inkjets would run about 29 cents apiece. An 8x10 would be about 1.50 to 1.80.

www.wilhelm-research.com

If you don't have any desire to print your own photos then store printing is the way to go. Just realize they won't last as long.

I don't know about you but going to a store to get my prints costs me a lot more than the developing by the time I wander the aisles buying things.

I have the HP 8150. It uses single cartridges but I am going to switch to the new one that uses individual color cartridges. That way if I do something that is more intense on 1 color I only need to spend about 11.00 on a cartridge instead of 25.00. I like the fact that I am not limited to donig 4x6 prints. I can do 4x6, 8x10, and poster size.

Diznefreek, are you satisfied with your HP 8150? The HP 8250 is the new one that has individual ink tanks. I was wondering what the quality of the photos is from that line..........the 8250 is supposed to be otherwise similar to the previous 8150 and 8450.

I love it. I have used it to make poster prints for my son's room and they came out great. I am very happy with the 4x6 and 8x10's that come out as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter