Recommend Light, Rugged Luggage Please

PSUGuy

Bill From PA
We're looking for a 3 or 4 piece rolling luggage set that doesn't threaten the 50 lb weight limit. I found a highly rated German brand but the empty weight is 10 lbs. I'm not going to say that price is no object but I'll pay for a good roll and durability.

Thanks,
Bill From PA

These days, that statement is a total oxymoron. I hope somebody has something to suggest because I am curious as well.
We have yet to find something that is both lightweight and durable. We fly southwest, so even though we technically on need 1 bag each, we take 2 when we need something more durable.

We have been pleased with American Tourister bags. The lighter colors (orange, greens, lighter blues) really attract the dirt on the conveyor belts, but they are holding up well.

We fly southwest, so even though we technically on need 1 bag each, we take 2 when we need something more durable.

Same here, we each packed 2 and a wheel broke off our best, newest bag as I hauled it off the carousel at PHL.

Bill From PA

I really like the ebags mother lode luggage. I have both the small and medium size bags and find them perfect for travel.

Not sure if it would meet the weight requirements but I've had good luck with the rolling duffles * from LL Bean. My first one lasted at least 10 years. I replaced it because there was some wear on the top of the zipper teeth. They were nylon and it looked like they had been subject to some abrasion during transit through the airline baggage system. The rest of the bag was still in great shape. I still use it for car trips but not for air travel.

I've used the replacement duffle for a few years now and it still looks like new. It was a 3-piece set. I use the larger bag, DH uses the mid-size bag. Neither of us have had any problems with durability.

* ETA: My newer bag is a Rolling Pullman, not a Rolling Duffle like my older bag. The Rolling Pullman is large and weighs 8 pounds empty so it probably doesn't meet your weight criteria.

Last edited:
We're looking for a 3 or 4 piece rolling luggage set that doesn't threaten the 50 lb weight limit. I found a highly rated German brand but the empty weight is 10 lbs. I'm not going to say that price is no object but I'll pay for a good roll and durability.

Thanks,
Bill From PA

Rimowa? Have not used this brand, but it has a good reputation.

If you are going for affordability, I would select an American Tourister bag. Not their least expensive line, though.

Tumi makes great bags, but I would rather have cheap luggage and another vacation.

LL Bean and Samsonite make good bags as well.

Another vote for Briggs & Riley. It is the best luggage I have ever used and it has a lifetime warranty

After noticing many flight crew personnel using, have switched all bags over to travelpro after the first one held up great over multiple trips. Crew 10, 11 has a USB charger

Amazon had a special on them the past week, not sure if still available.

We have had our Samsonite for at least 8 years. Nothing has broken, not even the swivel wheels. Of course, I probably just jinxed us

TravelPro. Get the 26" size and you'll consistently come in at 40 lbs when fully packed.

I have a Samsonite carryon that doesn't roll well anymore. We have big and carryon sizes of the Ricardo bags from Costco that we have been very happy with. DH travel 4-5 times a year with them and they have held up well. No idea how much they weigh empty, you can probably find that out online for any of those recommended.

If you go to the official American Touristier website
There is a 40% off code you can use till Monday 11-27-17 :)

Highly suggest Osprey
However, Briggs & Riley is really good. Another option is REI brand but it is hit and miss, check the garage online for sales

Same here, we each packed 2 and a wheel broke off our best, newest bag as I hauled it off the carousel at PHL.

Bill From PA

Did you let them know when you got your bag? If they destroy your bag, they will replace it right there in baggage claim. At least that is how it works at our home airport.

Did you let them know when you got your bag? If they destroy your bag, they will replace it right there in baggage claim. At least that is how it works at our home airport.

That happened for DH traveling on Delta landing in Seattle. He took it right into the office and they wheeled out a very nice hard sided case (same brand the Delta employees use from what I've noticed) out and handed it over.

The bag came out of the carousel OK but in the act of setting it down one wheel broke off. If there's fault it's mine but I didn't slam or drop the thing, I was surprised at the damage.

Bill From PA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!