Recipe? We don't need no stinking recipe...

Mermaid02

DIS Veteran
The Stuffing thread made me stop and think... I never use a recipe for my stuffing. Oh, I use the same ingredients, but no specific amounts. White bread, a sweet onion sauteed in butter, maybe some celery (unless my son in law is eating with us, he hates it) then I use Bell's seasoning, Salt and hot water. I add the Bell's until it "smells right", a couple shakes from the salt shaker and the water until the consistency is "right."

I make soups and stews pretty much the same way.

What do you make that you don't use a recipe for?

Spaghetti Sauce. I love all kinds of Spaghetti sauce. I just through it together and let it simmer. It may depend on what is on hand or I amy go out and get the stuff the sounds good for it. I do usually use mostly the same ingredients but in different amounts. Even when I have followed a recipe it didn't come out the same each time!

I don't use recipes for soups, stews, roasts...pretty much anything I make on a regular basis. I know what goes in them or what will work in them and base how I make them on what I have in stock or what looks best at the grocery store that week.

I don't use recipes except for the first time I am making something new. Then I tweak from there..

My spaghetti sauce was thrown together on a day my cupboards were bare, and it has been a mainstay since - it is SO good.

Dressing
Meatloaf
Roast with veggies
stew
soup
Chili
mashed taters
mac an cheese
Biscuits
Rarely do I use recipe but then I been cooking for 50+ yrs YES I'm old.

I don't use a recipe for most Thanksgiving foods because I make everything in huge quantities and the foods are very simple. I actually SHOULD use one for stuffing now and then, but I only make stuffing once a year, so we go with our standard. I say "should" because for me, following a recipe is how I grow as a cook. I like to try recipes of foods that I make well but are different in some way from my method so I can learn and compare. I'm a pretty advanced cook and I got that way by reading a ton of cookbooks and constantly trying new recipes. I still try to make new foods every week. But Thanksgiving is about tried and true traditions at our house.

I’m half and half, I’m an adventurous eater and love all kinds of ethnic foods, so I’ll use a recipe if I’m not that familiar with it. I usually made my own marinades and salad dressings, tomato sauce, soups...

I need a recipe. I am usually good at telling if a recipe will be good or bad, but I just need a recipe. I am an okay cook, pretty okay baker, but I would be a terrible chef.

I HATE looking for a recipe online, finding a 5 star recipe, and then everyone writes "great recipe...I just made the following modifications..." Well, then it wasn't a 5-star recipe, was it?

To be clear, there’s a difference between not LOOKING at a recipe, and not USING a recipe. Just because you’ve memorized it, doesn’t mean you don’t have or use a recipe.

If you have 90+% of the ingredients & their portions in mind, you’re using a recipe. If you’re eyeballing everything and making significant changes on the fly, THAT’s not using a recipe.

I see recipes as more of a suggestion than a rule. Even when I'm using one I don't measure, except for what I pour into my hand as a general measure.

It makes it hard for me when people ask me for my recipes. I give them freely, but give them directions as I think I do it instead of as a rule.

[QUOTE="RUDisney, post: 59955483, member: 37181"]I see recipes as more of a suggestion than a rule. Even when I'm using one I don't measure, except for what I pour into my hand as a general measure.

It makes it hard for me when people ask me for my recipes. I give them freely, but give them directions as I think I do it instead of as a rule.[/QUOTE]
This for the most part. Sometimes I have to find a written recipe to give to another since it's easier than trying to explain, LOL. That being said I always give them one that follows the techniques that I myself use. I do need a recipe to make a souffle because the proportions are very specific.Also baking not so much for the flavorants but certainly for the ratio of butter to eggs to flour; it's much more scientific.

I don't enjoy cooking from recipes.

Almost everything I make, I make just the way I know how to do it.

I may experiment a little here and there.

I'll look at various recipes the first time I'm making something - especially if it's something I want to perfect; otherwise I wing it.

I don't bake often enough to not use a recipe. I enjoy it when I do, but neither I nor DH have much a sweet tooth, and the kids have plenty enough opportunities for sugary treats. Around the holidays I really get into it though, and I can't wait to bake with the kids!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter