Recent quality of the Magic

castawaykf

Earning My Ears
Has anyone noticed the quality of service or the cleanliness of the Magic decrease in previous years? I sailed on the Magic about 8 years ago and remember it being an amazing experience. However, a good family friend (platinum level member) said they when they sailed out of Miami last year they were very disappointed in the state of the ship: dirty stateroom upon arrival, the ship looking unkempt, and below par service that they have never experienced before.

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies!

We were on the Magic December 2018 and thought she looked great. This was our first time on the Magic, but have sailed on the other 3 ships quite a few times, butg felt the Magic was well kept and comparable to the other ships IMHO.

We just got off the Magic on Sept. 15 and thought she was in great shape for being an older ship. No complaints in terms of cleanliness !

We've sailed on the Magic twice within the past four years, and each other ship once. Out of those experiences, the weakest service was on the Magic. However, the quality was average rather than poor, just not quite the equal of what we experienced on the other ships. It wouldn't keep me from sailing her again.

The ship is well-preserved and clean. Not perfect, but excellent for her age.

My family was on the EBTA in May 2019, and I thought the Magic looked great. Our room was room was clean, and our waiters and room steward were friendly. It was my family’s first time on the Magic, but we thought she was in very good shape.

We just returned from the WBTA and had issues with our room. No filter in the AC which caused the coil to clog, so they sprayed it out with water (lots of black mold/gunk was removed). That didn't fix it so they replaced the whole fan which did fix it. Our stateroom door handle broke. The shower handle came off in teen's hand at end of shower. Came in from verandah and the door wouldn't reopen. It took two workers and hammers/screwdrivers to pry it open and discover a mechanism on the track had come loose and slid down keeping the door from opening. At least we weren't trapped outside when it broke.

Our toilet wouldn’t flush in the mornings on our April sailing on the magic. Super annoying to say the least. They worked on it most everyday, but as we were disembarking in Miami, it still wouldn’t flush the last morning.

Other times of the day, it worked great, but mornings were a no go. We had to run out to a public bathroom every morning.

We had no issues with service in the dining rooms. We did not think our room attendant was as good as the others we have encountered on the fantasy.

We were on the WBTA and loved being on the Magic. My only negative was sitting on the sofa hurt my back. I sat elsewhere, especially on our veranda when weather permitted.

We were on the WBTA and loved being on the Magic. My only negative was sitting on the sofa hurt my back. I sat elsewhere, especially on our veranda when weather permitted.

I have been on the Magic the past two October’s out of NYC. She looked fabulous. My entire family will be cruising on her again in January.

bobbiwoz, I agree with you regarding the sofa. I usually put the bee pillows behind my back to make it more comfy.

Just got off the Magic and she looks great to be 21! There's not another cruise line I would sail on with a ship that age except Disney. That being said there are some small things, but it still looks better than the 12-year old Royal Caribbean ship I last sailed on.

We were on the Magic in January. Our stateroom’s sofa bed made a squeaky sound whenever DD twisted or turned. We saw a rusty spot on our verandah, but it’s minor and I still think the Magic is beautiful! Places we had been were clean. Service we experienced was great as usual.

We just got off the WBTA on the 25th. Our toilet would not flush several times and then sometimes it would make a VERY loud noise and then suddenly flush long after I had tried flushing it. Our shower head shook like crazy and made a loud noise. The couch was very uncomfortable when sitting in certain spots. I could hear everything the people in the room next door were saying through the connecting door. Our stateroom host was tied with the worst one we've had (one on the Dream matched him). I didn't even see him until the very end of the first day. My daughter spilled some sugar on the carpet in front of the couch and it didn't get vacuumed for 4 or 5 days. There was the same spot of something on the bathroom floor for days. He did give us an extra bar of soap for the other bathroom when I requested it, but didn't seem to really want to. He was a nice guy, just not nearly as thorough as most of our other stateroom hosts. I did find most of the rest of the ship looked pretty good though. I did notice the deck floor on the pool deck was quite faded and in need of some care. We were last on the Magic in June 2018 and it did seem in better shape then.

We just finished a 5 night Bermuda cruise. We were on deck 5 just above the theater with a large porthole. The view was wonderful. First time sailing in a porthole cabin and was worried it would feel a bit claustrophobic but it was fine. No problems at all with the cabin. It was quiet and comfortable. Our cabin steward Ed kept the cabin clean and tidy and was always friendly and responded quickly to any needs we had(which were very few). He also made us wonderful towel animals each nite! We were surprised in a positive way how wonderful the ship looked, clean and bright and just all around fantastic! The dining rooms were clean and each one had its own special theme. My 3 1/2 year old granddaughter had an amazing time and was so sad to leave on departure day. I felt the food was overall just okay. We usually sail Celebrity and think their food a bit better but food is very subjective so my opinion only reflects my taste but I will say that some of the sauces were a bit over salty. Cabanas had an amazing assortment of shrimp each day and a large assortment of meats, pasta etc. The chicken nuggets were really good but I only ate two, lol. We basically stayed on the ship in Bermuda having been several times before except for a quick trip to the clock tower area to check out the shops. Most people got off so the kids pool was virtually empty so my granddaughter had a great time. Tons of character meet ups mostly in the Atrium and lots of the little girls dress up in their fav character costumes. The Halloween party and trick or treat was so much fun. The first and last shows were amazing definitely could compare to any Broadway production. Very talented cast! We had an amazing time and great weather. All who are going on the Magic can look forward to a great time.

I have sailed the Magic more than any other ship, the last two times being the Fall 2018 WBTA and a March 5 day. our rooms have always been well kept and clean with no other issues. I will be sailing in a little over a month again but not worried. Hope I am not jinxing myself.

We just returned from the WBTA and had issues with our room. No filter in the AC which caused the coil to clog, so they sprayed it out with water (lots of black mold/gunk was removed). That didn't fix it so they replaced the whole fan which did fix it. Our stateroom door handle broke. The shower handle came off in teen's hand at end of shower. Came in from verandah and the door wouldn't reopen. It took two workers and hammers/screwdrivers to pry it open and discover a mechanism on the track had come loose and slid down keeping the door from opening. At least we weren't trapped outside when it broke.

That is just plain awful. I was thinking of sailing the Magic in 2021 but that is two whole years from now and if things are already falling apart, that doesn't bode well. Maybe we will do the Wish instead :)

We were just on the Iceland cruise in July. It was great. We had some problems with our air conditioning because we like it really cool and maintenance came several times to make sure we were satisfied. Plus the ship sent a gift to our room. Our Room was very clean and the food was good. Our servers were the best ever. We have been on the magic many times and have not seen the quality go down, .

Our stateroom host was tied with the worst one we've had (one on the Dream matched him). I didn't even see him until the very end of the first day. My daughter spilled some sugar on the carpet in front of the couch and it didn't get vacuumed for 4 or 5 days. There was the same spot of something on the bathroom floor for days. He did give us an extra bar of soap for the other bathroom when I requested it, but didn't seem to really want to. He was a nice guy, just not nearly as thorough as most of our other stateroom hosts.

I think we must have had the same room attendant. We didnt even bother asking for a second bar of soap. Exchanging towels was enough of a feat. Since the cart was parked outside our room most of the cruise, I just started taking the fresh towels we needed since we never knew when our attendant was going to even come to our room. The last night my cabin mate was sick. She cleaned it up herself but then found our attendant and asked if he could take the towels she used, rather than leaving them in our room. He told her he'd be down later. So she just put the towels outside the cabin. Had I known about this before tipping I probably would have reduced the tip.

The sink in the shower bathroom was very loud at times when I ran water. Some rust spots around the ship (which is to be expected) but for the most part she seemed in pretty good shape to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!