Recent cell phone feedback: Roam still the best bet?

coastgirl

DIS Veteran
Hey all, I find the pinned topic a little confusing because it's so old...so forgive me for asking again.

Is Roam still the best option?

I have a Bell plan and can "roam like home" for $7/day but that's almost $100 for the two weeks we'll be there.

We haven't been to FL in a few years, but last time it took Roam a day or two to get the sims working, which was annoying. We've used it in the US a couple of times since then and their activation period seems pretty quick more recently. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Dh remembers the days when he could buy a throwaway phone with a reasonable plan pretty cheaply--anyone do that recently? Or pick up a US plan sim from a local provider? Obviously, our own phones are unlocked.

I already have a couple of still-active Roam sims, and it looks like the monthly plan would be our best bet. 1 G of data, phone and text, for $40. 1 G should get me through 2 weeks, and dh can get the same plan so we'd have 2 gb between us (if I run out I can steal his phone!).

I'd be surprised if I can find better than $40, but I'd love you to prove me wrong!

I think Roam is still the best deal for trips > 6 days.

The T-Mobile International Tourist plan seems like a good deal at $30/21 days, but I'm not planning on trying this anytime soon.

You cam do ROAM per day at 4.95 and it gets you .5gig per day all up front so only xouple bucks more than monthly but heck of a lot more datat and no worries

I've used both Roam and Telaway recently with great success in Florida. Roam will probably be cheaper for you if already have SIMs with them though.

I have been happy with Roam. No issues. Although, about 5 minutes after I put the SIM card in I got a call from a telemarketer. I told him I was impressed with how fast they found me!

Hey all, I find the pinned topic a little confusing because it's so old...so forgive me for asking again.

Is Roam still the best option?

I have a Bell plan and can "roam like home" for $7/day but that's almost $100 for the two weeks we'll be there.

We haven't been to FL in a few years, but last time it took Roam a day or two to get the sims working, which was annoying. We've used it in the US a couple of times since then and their activation period seems pretty quick more recently. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Dh remembers the days when he could buy a throwaway phone with a reasonable plan pretty cheaply--anyone do that recently? Or pick up a US plan sim from a local provider? Obviously, our own phones are unlocked.

I already have a couple of still-active Roam sims, and it looks like the monthly plan would be our best bet. 1 G of data, phone and text, for $40. 1 G should get me through 2 weeks, and dh can get the same plan so we'd have 2 gb between us (if I run out I can steal his phone!).

I'd be surprised if I can find better than $40, but I'd love you to prove me wrong!

We're heading to FL for 12 days and after pricing it out I decided that the Roam monthly plan is a better deal for our two phones. I already have the SIMs so it was an easy choice for me.

We went to Disney back in March. In total we spent 14 days in the USA. We went with the Roam Mobility monthly plan. We only use the data to send a few photos to family, and look up business addresses while away. 1GB is plenty enough for us while driving to Florida and back, because when we are at the Disney resorts and parks, we use the free WiFi. There are points where the 4G signal is weak around Orlando for Roam (T-Mobile), but I would expect that with any provider.

We're headed to Florida again in August for another couple weeks. We'll be using ROAM's monthly plan again. We are still fans of their service.

Thanks. I think we'll go with the Roam monthly as well. I think that's a new option since our last trip, as it's significantly cheaper than the daily plan for 14 days. I also had a look at US Mobile, which offers sim-only, pick-what-you-need plans. It looked pretty good, and they will ship the sims to Canada, but for us already having active Roam sims tipped the balance. I'd be curious to know though if anyone has used US Mobile?

When I was in Bellingham, WA a few weeks ago I stopped in at AT&T store in the mall. They had a pretty good month plan for $40.
I wish I could use it but have fam & friends in Ft Lauderdale, my first stay 10-12 days pre WDW. It would be a pain to have a different phone #.

That raises an interesting thought too, Sue. I want to be able to receive calls placed to my Canadian cell number. Someone said you could forward your regular Canadian number to your US number as long as you do it before you leave Canada? Which sounds great, but wouldn't that mean you're paying for the airtime to forward the call to a US number?

Ohhhh...I have a package that includes US LD from Canada, so that would work. I just talked to Bell, and as I have the US LD package, basically a forwarded call is a Canada to US LD call, which is covered by my plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter