Received Toll Violation from Georgia; Have FL Sunpass

Belle & Ariel

DIS Veteran
We have the Sunpass mini sticker transponder. We used the express lanes south of Atlanta which are supposedly compatible with Florida Sunpass. The signs say it and a North Carolina one are accepted in the express lanes.
I received a toll violation bill today from Georgia. After being on hold and disconnected several times, I finally reached a person. They said the transponders are scanned by laser and can be missed.
I can either pay or appeal. To do so I need to prove the vehicle is mine (if it wasn't why would I worry about the ticket?????) and that it is on a valid sunpass account with funds available.
She really didn't know what I should send to prove this.
I have my vehicle registration which shows the license matches the one on the bill. I pulled up my sunpass account with dates to show activity before and after the ticket date and they show funds available. My sunpass registration does not show plate info. My activity does show funds taken off 6 hours after the ticket time as I went through the main toll plaza on the turnpike andagain when I got off at I-4.
Would screenshots of those prove it or what can someone suggest I send?
Has anyone had this happen?

I think screen shots of the proof you have are the best start. (Honestly, I don't know what else they'd want!). Definitely fight it.

I have an ez pass; I live in the Northeast. A couple months ago, I was charged $16 for a bridge toll that is only $1 for cars. I fought it and it was refunded. My "fight" was easier than yours, but still a hassle.

Good luck!

I would just send a couple of Sunpass screenshots of your account balance and the page with the vehicles and their transponder numbers.

Liz

My sunpass registration does not show plate info.

this is why it is important to have the plate registered in the system

the way it works is if no transponder is detected, the system reads the tag and checks the sunpass database for the tag ... if found the toll is processed at toll by plate

this WORKS ... I often don't even have my transponder in the car but my tolls still appear on the statement ....

Try calling again, maybe the person who you talk to when you call back will have different (and better!) advice on how to proceed. Not all customer service reps are created equal.
The Georgia road and tollway authority is a nightmare. I was on the phone over four hours. I would be on hold about an hour and be disconnected. Twice they finally came on and call was dropped. Not because of my phone reception. I set cell phone on table on speaker and waited and waited and waited. Remember the episode of Friends where Phoebe was on hold for like two days? That was me yesterday. Then when I finally get a human, they don't know what I need to send. Acted like I should just pay. ????? She was nice, but I why should I pay fine because their laser missed my transponder?
It would easier if the bill they sent had procedure and address to appeal. I guess they hope you'll just pay rather than deal with such poor service.

My sunpass registration does not show plate info.

this is why it is important to have the plate registered in the system

the way it works is if no transponder is detected, the system reads the tag and checks the sunpass database for the tag ... if found the toll is processed at toll by plate

this WORKS ... I often don't even have my transponder in the car but my tolls still appear on the statement ....

Would Georgia have access to the FL sunpass account to match the plate?
I will look into getting my plate registered on the sunpass dashboard.

Looked at the SunPass faq.

Why did I receive an invoice if I am a SunPass Prepaid customer?

If you are an existing customer, you received this invoice because your account does not have sufficient funds, the transponder did not read and/or vehicle plate included on this invoice is not listed on your account. Login to your SunPass account online and add the license plate with an effective date prior to the earliest transaction date on the invoice and/or add funds to your account if needed. The toll amount will be deducted from your SunPass account within 48 hours and applicable fees/violation charges will be waived. If you are a customer of another interoperable toll agency, please contact your tolling agency immediately to update your account.

I also looked at the peach pass (oh that’s an awful name) site and wonder if you can take care of this online through them? Look at the spot to enter the violation number etc on the bottom right. https://www.mypeachpass.com/olcsc/AccountLogin.do

And I wonder if you can create a peach pass account using the SunPass, and add your license plate there?

Other info here: https://www.peachpass.com/about-toll-violations/

If this happened sometime after the beginning of May, there is a good chance that the problem was with getting the Sunpass payment validated by the Georgia system. Sunpass did a software upgrade early last month that royally screwed up their system, and they are still trying to fix it properly. I don't know if communication with the Georgia Toll authority was one of the aspects that went off-line, but it wouldn't surprise me; apparently the toll payments have not been posting at all.

Here's a news story: http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...0-days-to-account-for-toll-problems_169593437

Looked at the SunPass faq.

I also looked at the peach pass (oh that’s an awful name) site and wonder if you can take care of this online through them? Look at the spot to enter the violation number etc on the bottom right. https://www.mypeachpass.com/olcsc/AccountLogin.do

And I wonder if you can create a peach pass account using the SunPass, and add your license plate there?

Other info here: https://www.peachpass.com/about-toll-violations/
I tried that box at the bottom and it says my data is invalid. I wondered if this letter was a scam, but we did travel that day.

If this happened sometime after the beginning of May, there is a good chance that the problem was with getting the Sunpass payment validated by the Georgia system. Sunpass did a software upgrade early last month that royally screwed up their system, and they are still trying to fix it properly. I don't know if communication with the Georgia Toll authority was one of the aspects that went off-line, but it wouldn't surprise me; apparently the toll payments have not been posting at all.

Here's a news story: http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...0-days-to-account-for-toll-problems_169593437
It was from a trip in early December. I have no idea why the violation is dated end of June. We did travel in June during the sunpass update--hopefully I won't get another bill for that.

Glad I live in a state where there are no toll roads. We always vote them down. They are built anyways. Not sure why people vote for them so much!! Road quality sure isn't it as some of the worst roads I've driven have been toll!!

Glad I live in a state where there are no toll roads. We always vote them down. They are built anyways. Not sure why people vote for them so much!! Road quality sure isn't it as some of the worst roads I've driven have been toll!!

I live in Oklahoma where we have alot of toll roads and not once have we been allowed to vote yay or nay on them. It's just the way it is . . . and the roads suck. :crazy2:

I live in Oklahoma where we have alot of toll roads and not once have we been allowed to vote yay or nay on them. It's just the way it is . . . and the roads suck. :crazy2:

Vote for politicians that don't want toll roads!! I'm in AZ and the people here have gotten angry whenever a toll road is proposed. Politicians will soon be out of office if they create one without a public vote.

I had sent appeal showing I had active sunpass with funds at that time and never heard back. Today I got a letter it had been turned over to a collection agency. Very frustrating.

you won't like this BUT

IMO the fine is valid

the reason to enter your tag info is as a backup if the system fails to read your transponder.

obviously they DID read your tag ... if your tag was in the SUNPASS system, you'd not be in violation

You failed to enter your tag info

your fault

pay the fine

I have no experience with GA, but my TX experiences have been a disaster. There are no toll booths. I expected to be sent a bill.

When I received nothing although I’d made two trips on a toll road while attending a wedding in March I thought that maybe my FL Sunpass had covered the tolls.

I ended up going to a funeral in April- 3 trips on a toll road again. Finally I got a bill for $70 for tolls (5 local trips about 10 miles each) in late July. Absurd.

There is no option to pay as you go and the only option is to pay a dollar a mile to use the toll road.

I have no experience with GA, but my TX experiences have been a disaster. There are no toll booths. I expected to be sent a bill.

My now-ex was in TX in a rental car in May or June, and only got the bill a few weeks ago. He was in a rental car, and the rental account is in my email address (b/c I've been his TA since 2009, and I guess I'd better change that). It was sent by email, and looked SO much like spam I nearly just deleted it.

But TX is rough for toll roads, because there is often no other way.

you won't like this BUT

IMO the fine is valid

the reason to enter your tag info is as a backup if the system fails to read your transponder.

obviously they DID read your tag ... if your tag was in the SUNPASS system, you'd not be in violation

You failed to enter your tag info

your fault

pay the fine
Well, I just received a violation notice from the Georgia Peach Pass system. I also have a valid Sunpass, and I have had that account for 3 years. My tag information is current and fully entered with the Sunpass system. I have money in my Sunpass account always because it automatically reloads if the balance falls below $15. Obviously, Georgia captured my license tag # because it was on the violation I received. The violation was recorded near Atlanta on November 12, 2017, nine months ago!!! I will call Peach Pass on Monday to discuss this, but after reading this blog I am not optimistic about getting it resolved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter