Received partial (?) refund from Disney, but not 35%

Lindseyd32833

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know for sure if Disney will be applying a 35% discount to existing reservations? I have had not received any communication from Disney about my trip, but I have already been refunded for some of it, although the refund doesn't seem large enough.

I had a trip planned at POP for 6 nights, with 6-day park hopper passes for two people for April 26 to May 2 no dining plan. I paid in full, which was $2123 with a returning guest discount.

I rescheduled it for September 13 - September 19 with the free DDP, and upgraded from the QS plan to the regular plan. The returning guest discount was no longer available, so I was paying rack rate for the room with the 6-day park hopper tickets, and the dining upgrade. My new total was $2712, with me owing Disney the $589 difference.

A week or so ago, Disney changed my reservation to the Recovery20 Disney Resort Hotel Package from the free dining package, and removed my balance. Still no communication from Disney, but that is fine. Today, they refunded me $133 on my credit card.

I am trying to figure out if this refund is just for the Park Hopper upgrade? My MDE still shows that I have Park Hopper.

And if there is a 35% discount being applied to the room, I calculated that the rack rate for the room for 6 nights would be $1219, and with a 35% discount, that would be around $792.

For the cost of 6-day park tickets without park hopper for two people, I calculate around $955. That plus a discounted room cost of $792 is $1747. I realize these numbers may be slightly off, but since I already paid $2123, I would expect a refund around $375 if they are giving a 35% discount AND removing park hopper.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? I wish they would send me my email!

I don't recall the cost of the various dining plans -- possibly the $133 is the upgrade from QSDP to DDP? That amount might be refunded separately from the 35% discount.

I believe the value of PH is $75 or $80 plus tax, but I don't think Hopping has been refunded (and may not be depending on date).

Do you have your original re-booking confirmation (if they emailed one, they might not have), it might show the upgraded cost to the DDP to see if that's the 133. Although that seems low for 2 people.

For the cost of 6-day park tickets without park hopper for two people, I calculate around $955. That plus a discounted room cost of $792 is $1747. I realize these numbers may be slightly off, but since I already paid $2123, I would expect a refund around $375 if they are giving a 35% discount AND removing park hopper.
As of now I don't know of anyone that has posted that their Park Hoppers have been removed. They are still fixing the Dining Plans and 35% discounts at this time. Stay tuned.

Dave

That's very odd. Did you have any pre-paid experience reservations that may have been canceled and refunded?

I should preface this by saying I have no real knowledge...but $133 + $589 is $722. (Close to the 35% discount of $792.) Maybe if you hadn’t made the $589 payment, they didn’t need to refund it? Or if you paid it separately, the refund might be coming separately? Totally a guess though.

What room level did you have at POP? Preferred, standard? For a standard room, your total for the room only would be 1219, less a 35% discount of 426.65. The upgrade cost for the DP is 276.12 (23.01/night x 2 people). So, the total discount + refund would be 426.65+276.12 = 707.77-589 (bal due)=113.77. They refunded you $20 more than my calculation- may be due to taxes or something.

Last edited:

I got my new statement last night. I had paid in full and with the new amount on the statement, which meant I should be getting a little over $1100 back. Today I got refunded a total of $410 in three separate refunds to my account. I did pay for the majority of the vacation on another card......so I am just assuming that the rest of the amount owed to me will be on that card and it just hasn't posted yet.

That's how the refund process should work, always a refund to the method of original payment for each payment. Please come back and update us when you get the remaining refund.

What we are trying to figure out is if they are refunding the PH part of the tickets in addition to the Dining and 35% of the room rate at this time.

Dave

Does anyone know for sure if Disney will be applying a 35% discount to existing reservations? I have had not received any communication from Disney about my trip, but I have already been refunded for some of it, although the refund doesn't seem large enough.

I had a trip planned at POP for 6 nights, with 6-day park hopper passes for two people for April 26 to May 2 no dining plan. I paid in full, which was $2123 with a returning guest discount.

I rescheduled it for September 13 - September 19 with the free DDP, and upgraded from the QS plan to the regular plan. The returning guest discount was no longer available, so I was paying rack rate for the room with the 6-day park hopper tickets, and the dining upgrade. My new total was $2712, with me owing Disney the $589 difference.

A week or so ago, Disney changed my reservation to the Recovery20 Disney Resort Hotel Package from the free dining package, and removed my balance. Still no communication from Disney, but that is fine. Today, they refunded me $133 on my credit card.

I am trying to figure out if this refund is just for the Park Hopper upgrade? My MDE still shows that I have Park Hopper.

And if there is a 35% discount being applied to the room, I calculated that the rack rate for the room for 6 nights would be $1219, and with a 35% discount, that would be around $792.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? I wish they would send me my email!
I just got a new confirmation today for my vacation later this year. I haven't done anything with my plans since they announced the upcoming changes. I have been checking my reservations periodically to see if anything has been changed. What I have noticed is there is no rhyme or reason to how they are implementing the changes. They canceled 3 of my 6 ADRs one day then a couple days later canceled the rest. A few days after that I got the email confirmations that the reservations had been canceled, also in 2 different batches. I also have special event tickets that are supposed to be canceled but I haven't gotten a refund for that yet.The new confirmation included with my hotel reservations, etc and the new balance.
I have read several articles about the upcoming changes. What I read said park hoppers are not currently being refunded because they are unsure if they will be allowing park hopping yet. I also saw that the 35% discount would be applied to a future booking if WDW canceled your reservation and you needed to rebook. I'm not entirely sure if that is accurate and don't remember which site or blog I saw it on but based in your situation it may be true.
I don't think anyone at Disney has a good grasp on the situation right now. If you can I would suggest you wait a week or two and see if the changes catch up. Things are definitely not working quickly/smoothly at this point. Hope this helps.🙁

Last edited:
I don't believe they have made any decisions in regards to the Park Hoppers or at least communicated it. It appears Disney is working on finalizing the details in regards to the parks and resort reopening and will be making the adjustments in phases. As reservations meet the decisions made up to that point and timeline that is when they are sending out the updated confirmations with finalized adjustments. For example a July reservation that is getting the 35% discount for cancelling the free DP, in a resort which is designated as opening with no park hoppers will receive their updated confirmation sooner. Another example a September reservation with the free DP removal 35%, in a resort undetermined as opening at that time with park hoppers may take longer to get the updated confirmation as there are still undetermined aspects may take longer to receive the confirmations. I fall into the second example as well. I am not 100% certain of the details and what I provided is just a guess, but I do know what they are trying to accomplish is a lot and they are trying their best to get this all done as soon as possible.

That's how the refund process should work, always a refund to the method of original payment for each payment. Please come back and update us when you get the remaining refund.

What we are trying to figure out is if they are refunding the PH part of the tickets in addition to the Dining and 35% of the room rate at this time.

Dave

Just wanted to update: That I have now gotten the remaining portion of the difference in price on my package after the 35% discount. So On Thursday I got part of my refund on one card and recieved the remaining amount on a different card this morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter