reasonable grocery store

suzjoh

Suz and John DVC/VWL since 2001
We will be in WDW 2 weeks from today. Renting a vehicle. The EIGHT of us are staying at OKW. Could someone direct me to a supermarket/grocery store where we can pick up the grub without pulling a 2nd morgage off our home. Friends who we are renting points from said they came across one by mistake in Celebration when they had to take their baby to the hospital. Can anyone give me direction there from OKW. Directions to any reasonable market would be appreciated. Thankx loads, Suzz

We found a resonable Publix very close to the Orlando premium outlets..it is off of I drive on the way to Seaworld, close to OKW. You travel out of OKW as if you are going to Goodings, thru the Village Hotels.. at Goodings take a right. Travel under I 4 to the first road on right. Go past the Shrine and you will see the new premium Outlets on your right, I4 will be on your left. continue around the mall road until it ends, that intersection will be Internation Drive. Take a Left and follow it until you come to Central Florida Parkway... turn right ( Wendy's is on the corner) and Publix is located in that shopping Center.. The Timeshare store is right next door to Publix. They have reasonable prices and are not much farther than Goodings from OKW and since I HAVE to stop by the Disney Outlet, we are already half way there.

I went to Publix.com and it is the one on Central Florida Parkway in Williamsburg Town Center Store number 00274

If you don't mind spending the extra time, I would suggest going to the WalMart way up on 192 in Kissimmee. It has a full grocery department and the prices were the lowest I've seen in the area. It will take about 30 minutes to get there from WDW but you should be able to pick up everything you need. Head out of WDW to 192 East towards Kissimee, it is way up on the right hand side, the address is 4444 West Vine. You will pass 2 or 3 Publix on the way so if you can stop at any of those if the area is really congested. The prices at the Publix were a little high, but much cheaper than anything on Disney Property. Hope this helps.

Donna

another way to go from OKW is: take a right out of the entrance to OKW, follow that to the first intersection (you can only go left or right) take a right. At the Disney Village Marketplace, take a left. At Crossroads take a right (rte 535) follow that for about 5-6 miles to the intersection of 192, take a left and go about 3 miles, Super Wal*Mart is on the right.
This takes MAX 15 - 20 mins. Well worth the trip.

Does anyone know how to get there from the airport? We'll be heading for groceries right away.

Thanks! Lisa

I'd also be interested in directions to wal-mart from the airport. We arrive on Sat. and are staying at the BC. I would like to be able to go right to the store since we arrive at MCO at 11a.m.

I have posted these directions a number of times, if you do a search, they will come up.

I'm a big fan of Albertson's on the Orange Blossom Trail, right off the highway on the way from the airport to WDW. It's not the cheapest in the area (in fact, our bagger said Alberston's was the most expensive around -- he'd obviously not been to Goodings!). However, it was lower than what we typically pay at home, and frankly, the couple of bucks we night have saved was not worth the extra time it would take to go beyond WDW to the Wal-mart in Kissimmee (which we tried once, and it was a crowded, traffic-filled nightmare!).

If you're interested, just take the exit onto the Orange Blossom Trail off the expressway from the airport. You'll see a Home Depot from the highway just before the exit. It costs $.50 to exit (and if it's late at night you may need exact change). It's a straight shot across the road to the parking lot entrance.

There's also a liquor store right next to the Alberston's.

Actually, the liquor store is right next door to the Alberstons -- I believe it's even owned by Albertsons. No need to even move your car when going from one to the other.

We go to the Publix over near OKW...we've found the prices are more normal than at Goodings. We went to the Super Walmart once...I didn't care for it,...thought it was very dirty!!!

Thankx for all your replies. I have 6 more days!!! I do not want to sound like a broken record but
how do I get to PUBLIX from OKW? I want to thank all for your opinions. We need to dump everyone off at the hotel first(but now I'm thinking we cannot check in but, the grandparents can pick up my nieces passes while we are gone). That is the only way we will have enough room in the car for the grub. I was thinking of the walmart but with all the input about the crowds and the wait, I do not think we will go there. My DH has no use for waiting in line. Again Thanks all. This board has assisted me in arranging and saving money for 3 family (3 generations) vacations. We are so infected with the mouse that we a seriously thinking buying DVC.
suzz

another way to go from OKW is: take a right out of the entrance to OKW, follow that to the first intersection (you can only go left or right) take a right. At the Disney Village Marketplace, take a left. At Crossroads take a right (rte 535) follow that for about 5-6 miles to the intersection of 192(Publix is at that intersection), take a left and go about 3 miles, Super Wal*Mart is on the right.
This takes MAX 15 - 20 mins. Well worth the trip.

one good thing about super walmart is that it is open 24 hours a day.....at least the one in kissimmee ....

of course, driving times will depend upon traffic flow and CONSTRUCTION.....

lawgs,
That is why I only send people over a small portion of 192. That rte. can be really busy.
As to Wal*Mart being dirty, I totally disagree. I have been there a number of times and it is as clean as any high volume, high traffic, messy customer store can be. If customers were not such slobs and had a bit more consideration for other customers and employees of ANY retail store, it would make shopping far more pleasant for others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter