Really wanted to buy BLT but.... need more points .. SSR?

The OKW extension was done quite awhile ago - more than a decade I believe. It is no longer offered. There hasn't been any new extension offered and most feel that anything in the future is unlikely to be done.

Regarding BLT, you mention Aulani during the summer but when are you wanting to stay at BLT? 2BR's and 1BR's are easier to book and depending on your time of travel I think there's a decent chance you could book it at 7 months.
Thats my thoughts too... we also own at AKV so if we do go at christmas.. we can stay there!! Aulani- I just want to go and I need more points in general to help that happen.. would also love to do HH sometime. I love my dvc already I have stayed at AKV in March for our first trip, June at Poly and bolder ridge and now SSR for pre thanksgiving... so loving it and excited to try all resorts I can. I do worry about the future and how hard will it be to book at 7 months..

You can either spend the bucks, buy enough points to cover the stays that you want at the resorts you love or deal with the uncertainty of booking at 7 months. Limited availability is now the new norm and as more owners are added to the system, it is going to get much worse.

:earsboy: Bill

Thats my thoughts too... we also own at AKV so if we do go at christmas.. we can stay there!! Aulani- I just want to go and I need more points in general to help that happen.. would also love to do HH sometime. I love my dvc already I have stayed at AKV in March for our first trip, June at Poly and bolder ridge and now SSR for pre thanksgiving... so loving it and excited to try all resorts I can. I do worry about the future and how hard will it be to book at 7 months..

Another consideration since you are looking to use the points all around, and not just at BLT, could be to add on to AKV. It gives you all the points at 1 resort for the 11 month window and they could be used to book what's available elsewhere at 7 months if you want to switch.

Buy where you want to stay can be good advice, it can be awful advice.
First ‘hurdle’ is have you actually stopped there for at least 4 nights?Many people say ‘I must by VGF (BLT, AKL etc)’ based on walking through it and thinking they’ll love it. It’s quite different to stay there and some people regret buying where they thought they’d like to stay. I’m assuming though you’ve stayed at BLT and love it.
Next is type of room you take and time of travel. If it’s a 1 bed, off DVC season, you can easily get BLT Lake View at 7 months and I don’t see it changing. So if you fit in this bracket, buying where you want to stay may mean large unnecessary extra expenditure.
BUT if you want to go at Xmas, in a studio, have to stay there and want a theme park view, my advice would be buy where you want to stay.
Another thing is the potential for SSR to grow in value. I think DS has already made it more attractive, but it’s quite widely believed there will be alternative transport put in near SSR or DS- possibly a skyline extension or even a monorail / light railway type thing, the latter seems as though it is being considered now if well respected tipster Marni has good info, but it’s very early days. I do understand guides have been pointing out to direct buyers of SSR ( and they didn’t do this to me) that those easements for a transportation system are still in the Declaration of Condominium.
I do think Disney want to knock out as many buses, and drivers as possible long term.

Another consideration since you are looking to use the points all around, and not just at BLT, could be to add on to AKV. It gives you all the points at 1 resort for the 11 month window and they could be used to book what's available elsewhere at 7 months if you want to switch.
I was thinking that too.. I can't believe how much it has gone up.. but that may be the better option.. originally was going to get 300 at akv but disney took it so next idea was to get half akv and half blt.. thats where I have been stuck... all the while prices rising etc. so frustrating!!

Buy where you want to stay can be good advice, it can be awful advice.
First ‘hurdle’ is have you actually stopped there for at least 4 nights?Many people say ‘I must by VGF (BLT, AKL etc)’ based on walking through it and thinking they’ll love it. It’s quite different to stay there and some people regret buying where they thought they’d like to stay. I’m assuming though you’ve stayed at BLT and love it.
Next is type of room you take and time of travel. If it’s a 1 bed, off DVC season, you can easily get BLT Lake View at 7 months and I don’t see it changing. So if you fit in this bracket, buying where you want to stay may mean large unnecessary extra expenditure.
BUT if you want to go at Xmas, in a studio, have to stay there and want a theme park view, my advice would be buy where you want to stay.
Another thing is the potential for SSR to grow in value. I think DS has already made it more attractive, but it’s quite widely believed there will be alternative transport put in near SSR or DS- possibly a skyline extension or even a monorail / light railway type thing, the latter seems as though it is being considered now if well respected tipster Marni has good info, but it’s very early days. I do understand guides have been pointing out to direct buyers of SSR ( and they didn’t do this to me) that those easements for a transportation system are still in the Declaration of Condominium.
I do think Disney want to knock out as many buses, and drivers as possible long term.
all great points! I have never stayed at BLT.... I think I will love being so close to MK, monorail etc. But, you are correct.. I have never stayed there.... we are a family of 3 so a 1 bed is perfect for us but we do like to bring people along, make it more fun in general so in that case would be wanting a 2 bedroom which hikes the points up alot..... ugh. Well, I will keep pondering the situation but everyone has so much great advice it is good to weigh everything... so I really appreciate it... the saga continues.

You can either spend the bucks, buy enough points to cover the stays that you want at the resorts you love or deal with the uncertainty of booking at 7 months. Limited availability is now the new norm and as more owners are added to the system, it is going to get much worse.

:earsboy: Bill
I hear you and that is my concern..Thanks for chiming it!!

Personally, I (and my family) love the 1 BR at BLT. That being said, we always stay there using our SSR points... :)
great! What time of year do you normally go? Worried things will get harder at 7 months... that does make sense...

great! What time of year do you normally go? Worried things will get harder at 7 months... that does make sense...

For the last 2 years, we've had APs, so have been going an ungodly amount of times all throughout the year. Most recently at BLT was last May/Memorial day (actually got a standard 2 BR for that one). I use the waitlist and check the website when I'm looking for a reservation, and have had decently good luck... granted, I'm not looking for 'holy grail' reservations or anything though lol.

Actually, I think the next time we plan a BLT trip, I will plan a split stay with an Epcot area resort. I love the monorail resorts for watching MK fireworks at night, and walking to MK from BLT, but hate hate hate the busses (especially BLT) to everywhere else. Don't even get me started on the double-bag-check-switch-trains-to-Epcot Monorail debacle.

Personally I’d wait until you stay at SSR to buy there. You may not mind the buses and like the proximity to Disney Springs in which case you can save ALOT by buying in there. However you may despise the bus situation there (I personally do) and you may dread knowing that you could be “stuck” there if unable to change into a different resort in the future. Many people have no problems switching but many others complain about how much harder it has gotten at 7 months and it appears to continue as more resorts are added to the system. My issues with the buses is the number of stops (5) and my terrible luck always seem to encounter a lot of ECVS (I’ve stayed there twice). It makes for REALLY long bus rides to and from the parks when you have ECV getting on/off at multiple stops. Nothing against those using ECVS nor am I saying we never have encountered them at BWV/BLT (where we typically stay) but they take longer to load/unload and I’ve experienced up to 40 minute bus rides to/from SSR as a result. Also my mom was hit by an inexperienced ECV rider last year because we were on the SSR bus from an earlier stop when she boarded and didn’t know how to properly use her ECV controls. Also with the multiple stops I’ve noticed a lot of stroller users leave their strollers overflowing with stuff and then take forever to collapse and gather their belongings to board. I say this as a stroller user who has everything underneath in a bag ready to go once I reach the bus stop and collapse it as soon as the bus approaches. I’ve also seen stroller users argue with the bus driver that they can’t collapse them and need to have them secured like they do with the ECV. Basically I have the WORST LUCK with buses at SSR lol!

For the last 2 years, we've had APs, so have been going an ungodly amount of times all throughout the year. Most recently at BLT was last May/Memorial day (actually got a standard 2 BR for that one). I use the waitlist and check the website when I'm looking for a reservation, and have had decently good luck... granted, I'm not looking for 'holy grail' reservations or anything though lol.

Actually, I think the next time we plan a BLT trip, I will plan a split stay with an Epcot area resort. I love the monorail resorts for watching MK fireworks at night, and walking to MK from BLT, but hate hate hate the busses (especially BLT) to everywhere else. Don't even get me started on the double-bag-check-switch-trains-to-Epcot Monorail debacle.
I have heard that! about the bus service being so bad to everywhere else... great point. ugh... what to do what to do.... I own AKV and i don't mind busses... but they have good service out there.... copper creek is also close...to MK... oh my gosh.

I guess it depends on what time of year you want to stay at BLT and what room type. I have been tracking 7 month room availability and usually BLT has 1 and 2BR units available and occasionally studios (This is only what i have been seeing over the past month+). Obviously the demand/availability will be more difficult if looking at Oct-Jan, but if you are open to staying there other times of the year you should find something but those 1 and 2 BR are pretty point expensive, so it certainly would be a wise use of cheaper points to stay there.

I'm in the same predicament with Poly -- we love it there but would certain rather save money buying points elsewhere. I guess you have to go into booking expecting that you may not get what you want and have a backup plan.

o
Personally I’d wait until you stay at SSR to buy there. You may not mind the buses and like the proximity to Disney Springs in which case you can save ALOT by buying in there. However you may despise the bus situation there (I personally do) and you may dread knowing that you could be “stuck” there if unable to change into a different resort in the future. Many people have no problems switching but many others complain about how much harder it has gotten at 7 months and it appears to continue as more resorts are added to the system. My issues with the buses is the number of stops (5) and my terrible luck always seem to encounter a lot of ECVS (I’ve stayed there twice). It makes for REALLY long bus rides to and from the parks when you have ECV getting on/off at multiple stops. Nothing against those using ECVS nor am I saying we never have encountered them at BWV/BLT (where we typically stay) but they take longer to load/unload and I’ve experienced up to 40 minute bus rides to/from SSR as a result. Also my mom was hit by an inexperienced ECV rider last year because we were on the SSR bus from an earlier stop when she boarded and didn’t know how to properly use her ECV controls. Also with the multiple stops I’ve noticed a lot of stroller users leave their strollers overflowing with stuff and then take forever to collapse and gather their belongings to board. I say this as a stroller user who has everything underneath in a bag ready to go once I reach the bus stop and collapse it as soon as the bus approaches. I’ve also seen stroller users argue with the bus driver that they can’t collapse them and need to have them secured like they do with the ECV. Basically I have the WORST LUCK with buses at SSR lol!

That does not sound fun... I wonder how the busses at ssr compare to akv? I didn't mind them.. thought they were pretty good. I have heard that busses from blt are horrible to everywhere else.. so MK is awesome but good luck getting anywhere else! ugh.. Well, we are going to ssr soon, and it will be busy time before Thanks giving.. so... we shall see... staying in springs section..not sure what that means as far as bus service. I am not afraid of uber either.... thanks so much for your advice!!

I guess it depends on what time of year you want to stay at BLT and what room type. I have been tracking 7 month room availability and usually BLT has 1 and 2BR units available and occasionally studios (This is only what i have been seeing over the past month+). Obviously the demand/availability will be more difficult if looking at Oct-Jan, but if you are open to staying there other times of the year you should find something but those 1 and 2 BR are pretty point expensive, so it certainly would be a wise use of cheaper points to stay there.

I'm in the same predicament with Poly -- we love it there but would certain rather save money buying points elsewhere. I guess you have to go into booking expecting that you may not get what you want and have a backup plan.
I love poly too!!!! Stayed there this summer and it is my favorite.. but only has studios which work sometimes, but not all the time.. but LOVE it there!!! I may start looking at copper creek too.... they are really expensive though I need to study to point requirments... still probably more than I want to spend. I may end up just adding on to my akv!! I love the idea of having 11 month booking at another place... but it just may not be in the cards.

t
The tough thing with CCV is if you want a stay for 5 people you have to get a 2BR --- the studio and 1BR only allow 4 which is crazy for new resort.
that is horrible! The other thing I have thought lots about is boardwalk.. due to star wars etc. My son is 10.... so it would be nice to be close to HS.. but exp is so early.... but point use is good there.. doesn't cost an arm and leg to stay.... thats a plus. I wish it was cheaper since it expires sooner, but the star wars is driving up the cost!!

o

That does not sound fun... I wonder how the busses at ssr compare to akv? I didn't mind them.. thought they were pretty good. I have heard that busses from blt are horrible to everywhere else.. so MK is awesome but good luck getting anywhere else! ugh.. Well, we are going to ssr soon, and it will be busy time before Thanks giving.. so... we shall see... staying in springs section..not sure what that means as far as bus service. I am not afraid of uber either.... thanks so much for your advice!!

We've had good bus service at SSR. It does have 4, maybe 5 stops within the resort though so that adds time but once you're on the road I know we're always pleasantly surprised, even shocked, at how short the trips all are. It really is a very centrally located resort.

I'd agree that BLT transportation is not all that. The monorail back from Epcot has taken us well over an hour and buses are often shared with at least one other resort. But walking to MK, access to the other monorail resorts and Bay Lake are pretty great. You just have to consider other transportation there a part of the experience. But that's fairly true of all the monorail resorts, not just BLT/CR.

Remember with BWV that the 2BR's are all lock-offs. That makes them as difficult to book as studios because once the studios are gone the 2BR's are also gone.

I went through the same decision you're making about 2 years ago. We bought BLT and we're happy we did. The only reason we bought at BLT though was the location. We usually end each night at MK and the walk to/from is why we bought. The monorail is usually packed and we generally avoid it unless going to Poly or TTC. We'll sometimes take it back to the room, as my son loves riding on it.

The difference is probably about 4,000 dollars or so right? Dues are pretty close to the same right now. It's a lot of money, but averaged out over the grand scheme of WDW vacations the initial difference isn't that much. There's a reason everyone says buy where you want to stay. I just got back from 8 nights, and good grief we spent a ton of money on this trip. We spent a little more for BLT, because I knew I wouldn't be as happy at OKW or SSR (at this point in my life). SSR looks really attractive though once the kids are older and we slow down a bit, for now though it's all about the parks.

I went through the same decision you're making about 2 years ago. We bought BLT and we're happy we did. The only reason we bought at BLT though was the location. We usually end each night at MK and the walk to/from is why we bought. The monorail is usually packed and we generally avoid it unless going to Poly or TTC. We'll sometimes take it back to the room, as my son loves riding on it.

The difference is probably about 4,000 dollars or so right? Dues are pretty close to the same right now. It's a lot of money, but averaged out over the grand scheme of WDW vacations the initial difference isn't that much. There's a reason everyone says buy where you want to stay. I just got back from 8 nights, and good grief we spent a ton of money on this trip. We spent a little more for BLT, because I knew I wouldn't be as happy at OKW or SSR (at this point in my life). SSR looks really attractive though once the kids are older and we slow down a bit, for now though it's all about the parks.
Thats exactly why we would like to stay there.. we spend lots of night closing MK down... would be so nice to just walk home I agree!! I also love owning akv, same reason we love AK and love staying till closing to ride everest over and over at closing... how many points do you own? My issue is I already own 180 at akv.. I need quite a few more at BLT even planning every other year.... you are right.. it will most likely be worth it in the end.. one funny thing about spending money.. I torture myself at the thought of it.. but once its gone I don't think about how much it was when I am enjoying what I finally bought!!! (if I am happy with it)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!