Really need some advice, trying to pick between 2 dates

Ducky'sMom

Mom to a smol bean and a spicy potato <3
After I graduated in June, I've become dead set on wanting to go to Disney. We only have 1 child and she's going to be 9 in February. The idea got in my head about doing a trip during her birthday, and I was determined to make it in AoA LM. However, it seems the LM rooms don't have any accommodations except Feb 1-7 (which would only be 5 full days for us), and I wanted a full week. (Apparently, my stubborn heart is set on many things.) Those dates are also within the 180 day mark already, so trying to get ADRs might be an issue.

So I looked ahead to March, and found what I wanted... it just wouldn't be Ducky's birthday. I know, it's silly of me to find this conflicting, as March is the more reasonable choice, but I guess I got excited at the thought of decorating the room and door, getting the "It's my birthday" ears, and surprising her for her birthday. She's wanted to go and loves Ariel! Would 5 days at Disney be enough for us first timers? Or should I wait until March and tell her we're going and that we'll celebrate her birthday during the trip still? I just feel so silly, but I'd love others' thoughts.

If you're set on doing a full week during her birthday, consider a split stay. You can do some of the days in the LM rooms, and a couple days in another room. With 1 child who is a little older, it shouldn't be too hard to move.

You can still get tons of ADRs and even get hard to find ones using TouringPlans Reservation Finder. In March, you have to consider spring break crowds.

We are planning to go February of 2019 and so I was searching ADRs for February 2018 yesterday, just to get an idea of how busy it will be to book at that time of year. I was able to find lots, even PPO BOG for what would be near the end of our trip as well as CRT and many others. If you're holding off on booking february due to dining, I wouldn't be too worried! Do it soon, though :)

You can book ADRs before you have a hotel reservation, so you could go ahead and see if you can book all of the ADRs you would want for the trip. Just release them if you determine it's not going to work, so someone else can have them.

I agree with an above poster that you could do a split stay. I would prefer to go in February as opposed to March due to possible spring break crowds and then on top of that it's when you really want to go for your daughter.

Did you actually call Disney or is this based on the online booking website? There have been reports that some Disney resorts have prevented people from booking stays of a certain length even if all of the days are available. I think this has happened when they were both too short and too long. Anyway, if all the dates are available the phone agent can make you two separate reservations and then merge them.

For a first timer I think 5 days is plenty. If you don't mind splitting your stay then do that however I personally wouldn't choose that for my trip. I would rather stay in one location. Plus inside 180 days you can still get great ADRs and plan plenty of fun activities- you don't have to book your trip to get dining reservations. I would recommend 5 nights stay at resort, 3 or 4 days park tix.

Don't know if it matters but it can be chilly in Feb. we were there that week two years ago and couldn't swim. Of course the kids jumped in but not me.

If your coming from somewhere cold you may want to do March.

Thank you all for the advice! (I had totally forgotten about doing a split stay.) However, I followed PlainJane's advice and called Disney and was able to get all the days I wanted. :)

Thank you all for the advice! (I had totally forgotten about doing a split stay.) However, I followed PlainJane's advice and called Disney and was able to get all the days I wanted. :)

That's awesome! I'm so glad it worked.

Make sure when you make your plans you let them know you are celebrating a birthday. They will make sure you have a birthday badge, so all of the cast members who see it will wish her happy birthday. They also have other fun things they do for birthdays, be sure to ask about them. Have a great trip!!! (and Happy Birthday!!!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter