Ready to book and a nervous wreck!

Daisybelle

I'm just happy to be here
I have been planning my first solo trip :cloud9: for about a year and I'm ready to book it this week and I'm a nervous wreck! I keep second guessing my dates and where to stay. Ugh. I'm not expecting a 'perfect' trip but I would love to not have a ton of stuff on the refurb list.

The primary dates I'm looking at are Saturday Feb 23 - Tuesday 26th or April 27th - 30th. I'm leaning towards February because the cost will be lower. And I think if I put it off I'll never do it!

I'm vacillating between PPH and Candy Cane. I've stayed at both and love them both. I'm leaning heavily towards CCI.

My last trip was in November 2016. Otherwise I've always gone in the summer months.

Any advice/experience/insight/calming techniques to offer? o_O

I love my solo trips! Like you, I was a bit hesitant when I first decided to do it, but it was so much fun when I got there!

For your days, I'd do February. I like Feb for a few reasons. First, it's when I typically go. In fact, I'll be 2/20 to 2/24 this go round. The hours are a little "nicer," meaning they open a little later (sometimes 9am or 10am) and close a little earlier (8pm to 10pm). That helps me be there open to close, feeling like I haven't missed anything, but still get a full night's sleep, which lets me return from my trip at least as rested as I was before I left ;) Most of the rides are up and running, except, most commonly, Grizzly and Splash. Of course, some things will be down for refurb, but not as many as January! A lot of the rides have been, or will soon be, up for refurb, as everything is getting cleaned up for the upcoming opening of SWGE (Star Wars Galaxy's Edge).

As far as advice/experience/insight/calming techniques... Sorry for the upcoming novel. I'll try to keep it short. :) Like I said earlier, I love my solo trips, and want others to experience the same wonderfulness!

Hotel: I'd go for the cheapest. Both are safe and close, and nice places to stay.

Use single rider lines (SRLs). Let me try to remember where they have them. Matterhorn, Indy, Space, Splash, Grizzly, Incredicoaster, and... I'm forgetting some off the top of my head. At any rate, use them! Some are quicker than others, but they most often seem much faster than a regular line.

Find something that you want to do for just you. For me, that's a nice restaurant or a park tour. So, I stay at a "cheaper-ish" hotel, and use the savings for a special me-treat. I'm a wife, I'm a mom, I'm a grandma, I'm an employee, I'm a small business owner. But, for my few days at Disneyland, I don't worry about what my husband or daughter wants to eat. I don't worry about where my grandkids want to go. I don't need to make considerations about my work or my business.... I get to do a few days where I can do what I want, which helps me recharge so that I can return with much more energy to give all my other titles my "all."

Use MaxPass! Make use of the PhotoPass feature, too! The photographers have always taken some extra pictures for me, so, even if I don't like most of them, there's usually 2-3 that I find that I really like.

Consider doing things you wouldn't spend time doing if you were there with others. Ask to ride in the nose of the monorail, or the wheelhouse on the Mark Twain. Eat an ice cream on a curb while waiting for a parade. Finding spots to sit/stand for parades are REALLY easy as a solo-ist; most people will scootch over for just 1 person, where they wouldn't if you were trying to find a place for 2-3 people.

I keep a Hidden Mickey book in my purse for the fun of it when I'm just wanting some quiet exploration time. This time, I found a scavenger hunt book for the parks that I will be taking with me to learn some new things that way.

Have a great time!

I love my solo trips! Like you, I was a bit hesitant when I first decided to do it, but it was so much fun when I got there!

For your days, I'd do February. I like Feb for a few reasons. First, it's when I typically go. In fact, I'll be 2/20 to 2/24 this go round. The hours are a little "nicer," meaning they open a little later (sometimes 9am or 10am) and close a little earlier (8pm to 10pm). That helps me be there open to close, feeling like I haven't missed anything, but still get a full night's sleep, which lets me return from my trip at least as rested as I was before I left ;) Most of the rides are up and running, except, most commonly, Grizzly and Splash. Of course, some things will be down for refurb, but not as many as January! A lot of the rides have been, or will soon be, up for refurb, as everything is getting cleaned up for the upcoming opening of SWGE (Star Wars Galaxy's Edge).

As far as advice/experience/insight/calming techniques... Sorry for the upcoming novel. I'll try to keep it short. :) Like I said earlier, I love my solo trips, and want others to experience the same wonderfulness!

Hotel: I'd go for the cheapest. Both are safe and close, and nice places to stay.

Use single rider lines (SRLs). Let me try to remember where they have them. Matterhorn, Indy, Space, Splash, Grizzly, Incredicoaster, and... I'm forgetting some off the top of my head. At any rate, use them! Some are quicker than others, but they most often seem much faster than a regular line.

Find something that you want to do for just you. For me, that's a nice restaurant or a park tour. So, I stay at a "cheaper-ish" hotel, and use the savings for a special me-treat. I'm a wife, I'm a mom, I'm a grandma, I'm an employee, I'm a small business owner. But, for my few days at Disneyland, I don't worry about what my husband or daughter wants to eat. I don't worry about where my grandkids want to go. I don't need to make considerations about my work or my business.... I get to do a few days where I can do what I want, which helps me recharge so that I can return with much more energy to give all my other titles my "all."

Use MaxPass! Make use of the PhotoPass feature, too! The photographers have always taken some extra pictures for me, so, even if I don't like most of them, there's usually 2-3 that I find that I really like.

Consider doing things you wouldn't spend time doing if you were there with others. Ask to ride in the nose of the monorail, or the wheelhouse on the Mark Twain. Eat an ice cream on a curb while waiting for a parade. Finding spots to sit/stand for parades are REALLY easy as a solo-ist; most people will scootch over for just 1 person, where they wouldn't if you were trying to find a place for 2-3 people.

I keep a Hidden Mickey book in my purse for the fun of it when I'm just wanting some quiet exploration time. This time, I found a scavenger hunt book for the parks that I will be taking with me to learn some new things that way.

Have a great time!

This is exactly what I needed to hear(read)! :thanks: Thank you for all your insights!! I'll definitely utilize SRLs and Maxpass. I'm tempted to do a tour too, as that's not something my daughter was ever interested in doing. Not sure about that yet. I was thinking the same thing about the shortened hours. That works for me since I'll be on my own! I tend to go go go when I'm in the parks, so being forced to go back to my room earlier is a good thing. :D I will be sad if Splash is down, but I know it typically is that time of year.

If you have any other tips, send them my way! :worship:

I've visited the parks at the end of April many times and I love it. February is often cold and rainy. A lot of the rides tend to be down for refurbs as well. It also tends to have reduced staffing levels which makes the parks seem more crowded even when not many people are there. If your budget will allow it, I would go at the end of April. I really feel its worth paying more for it.

On those dates you are going to have a lot of refurbs. Accept that now and your trip will be much better. If you cannot come to accept then wait until you can go during a busier time. There is nothing as miserable as paying all this money and vacation time and then being bitter throughout your trip!

Fwiw I’d go April in the hopes of better weather.

I’d choose April! Weather should be nicer, less refurbs and parks should be better staffed. It’s after spring break but before summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter