Ready after a decade of debate :)

JLa01844

Mouseketeer
Just wanted to share... after debating DVC for quite literally a decade (DH and I were both flip-flopping). We are finally ready to commit and are super excited! We've narrowed it down to 3 properties right now...but I think Bouder Ridge tops our list.

- Boulder Ridge (despite needing an update, it's our favorite theming and great location)
- Old Key West (great value, bigger rooms...even better if it's a 2057 contract)
- Animal Kingdom (good value, love the Savannah)

Anything we should consider while we search for contracts? We usually visit one week per year either end of February or mid-October. Thinking of September use year. There are 3 of us (me, DH and DD10).

Do you think Disney would ever consider the contract extensions on other resorts as they did with OKW?

If you're concerned about length of contract and like the theme of Boulder Ridge - would you consider Copper Creek?

If you're concerned about length of contract and like the theme of Boulder Ridge - would you consider Copper Creek?
It is a possibility. I initially was hesitant on Copper Creek due to the cabins being part of the point spread. But I am not extremely knowledgable (yet) so it could definitely join my shortlist. Trying to pay with cash too so that could be a factor.

Okay down to the final 3 see you in 2030 hahaha

So any extension is still going to be fairly expensive and likely be a "new contract" but will be offered to current owners at a discount. Can you consider CCV instead? Its basically like prepaying for the extension of 20 years and for much cheaper than an extension will be.

With AKV I would just ask have you stayed there? Its pretty far out and the bussing from there is less than ideal IMO.

Last edited:

It is a possibility. I initially was hesitant on Copper Creek due to the cabins being part of the point spread. But I am not extremely knowledgable (yet) so it could definitely join my shortlist. Trying to pay with cash too so that could be a factor.

Are you buying direct or resale? With the 3 year of you the AP math might work if you move your stays so they are within 12 months of each other. Go last week February then 1 week before the last week of Feb. That can help the long term potential savings as well.

If you do buy direct that means you could purchase a fixed week. Meaning you are guaranteed a Sunday to Sunday reservation each year avoiding any issue with availability but still giving you the option to book at another time as well. In addition to the fixed week in a studio we added on some extra points to get to the 150 point total and get the extra incentives that go with it.

Only makes sense though if you run the numbers on the annual passes discounts vs your normal tickets.

Okay down to the final 3 see you in 2030 hahaha

So any extension is still going to be fairly expensive and likely be a "new contract" but will be offered to current owners at a discount. Can you consider CCV instead? Its basically like prepaying for the extension of 20 years and for much cheaper than an extension will be.

With AKV I would just ask have you stayed there? Its pretty far out and the bussing from there is less than ideal IMO.

That was a good one. Made me chuckle!! (2030).
On CCV, we were hesitant because of the cabins being part of the point spread. At 11months how full are the bookings on CCV. What I have heard is that they fill quick....but again, this is all 3rd party info.

We have stayed at many of the resorts, including AKV. The transportation is definitely a negative but we think the Savannah and BOMA even that out a bit. I don't see it being any less inconvenient than OKW. And truthfully, we've been bus snobs the last few years and just take Lyft and Uber. LOL.

February trips would be more flexible in bookings? I think we'd be happy with that staggering our trips between October and February with the possibility of trying something new during our February trips.
Generally, at this time, yes. October is a month you book home resort and keep expectations of a switch very low unless you are booking 1BRs.

That was a good one. Made me chuckle!! (2030).
On CCV, we were hesitant because of the cabins being part of the point spread. At 11months how full are the bookings on CCV. What I have heard is that they fill quick....but again, this is all 3rd party info.

We have stayed at many of the resorts, including AKV. The transportation is definitely a negative but we think the Savannah and BOMA even that out a bit. I don't see it being any less inconvenient than OKW. And truthfully, we've been bus snobs the last few years and just take Lyft and Uber. LOL.
Studios at CCV go very quickly usually mostly gone at 10 months and 3 weeks. During busy times they are gone at 11 months. There may be an open day here or there. For studios March of 2021 has 2 open days and April and May have about 10 open days each. Walk in shower studios have even fewer days. There a few days already gone in the beginning of June 2021. Unless you book 11 months out on the date, It’s a nice new resort, with a lot of years left. Maybe in a few years things will get better.

I own AKL and live it ! I gave stayed concierge several times ! It’s an awesome resort
I find having a car works best for me but I don’t care for Disney transpiration but that’s just me!
I an considering Copper Creek as I do like those cabins ! The theme is awesome and I like the resort
Always buy where you want to stay !! Good luck !

Ha, ha, ha! I will be of NO help to you. We bought (and added on) at BR because we love the serenity, being able to ride the boats, and close proximity to MK and all the monorail resorts. We've never regretted our decision. The holiday decor is beautiful, so it's worthwhile to plan a trip in mid-November or early December at least once to experience that (a December trip definitely needs to be booked at 11 months).
On our very first DVC stay in 2001 we split our stay between BR and OKW and fell in love with it. It's peaceful and relaxing, yet the parks are a bus ride away. We've stayed there many times and even though there's just 2 of us, we love the large rooms and especially love the large balcony with ceiling fan. It's great to be able to take the boat to DS, where there's so many dining options, and we've always enjoyed Olivia's Cafe (although not crazy about the quick service at all). CMs there have always been great.
AKL/Kidani have always been a special experience for us. The second bathroom in the 1 and 2 BRs at Kidani is great to have. We've always gotten a room on second floor, to be closer to the animals and have been very satisfied with room assignments, but understand there are some less desirable savannah views. It's great to be able to park in the garage under the building (as is parking close by the room at OKW). It's a bit less convenient to have the quick service in the main lodge building, but not a deal breaker. The restaurants are wonderful, but if you want something else, you will need to travel further to get there. Both pools are great. Yes, it's further to some of the parks, but very close to AK, which is a favorite. And it's also very easy to take a back road out of Disney property to Route 192 with a Publix close by. Even though it might be a bit more convenient to stay in AKL, I really want to stay on a lower floor to be closer to the animals, so choose Kidani.
Would I buy at each of those resorts now??? Fortunately, it's been relatively easy to book a 1 bedroom at OKW and Kidani at the 7 month window, or less, with the exception of holiday times, or the ever-popular early December time. While I absolutely believe one should Buy Where You Want to Stay, OKW and Kidani are often available to us.............. but no guarantees and who knows about next year.
Good luck with your decision!

Depends on what your objective is. If your goal is theming, AKL and Boulder are awesome choices.

If your goal is value, OKW is too short of a contract and Boulder is close to dead last in long term value, like the other 2042 resorts.

If you plan to stay 1BR, you can get SSR points and stay wherever you want for those periods (though maybe not in the next couple years). Studios are a totally different story. If your goal is studios, I would probably go AKL. Good balance of value, theming, and studios.

On value alone, I'd pick AKL over any 2042 or OKW. Though there is a decent argument for buying OKW extended direct, if you will get your money's worth out of a blue card.

Bottom line is...buy where you want to stay. Assume that you will be unable to get anything but your home resort for your trip. Will you be happy there? Will you be disappointed you didn’t get to stay somewhere else?

We own at BLT. We don’t care for the decor, but we live the extra bathroom in the larger units (which you would have at Kidani) and the walk to MK. If we can’t get another resort at 7 months out, we are very happy to stay at BLT. In fact, we usually prefer to stay there. The only time we try to switch is if we want to use fewer points.

As someone who ALWAYS books a 1 bedroom - I can tell you that for certain resorts for certain timeframes - you still need to own there if you want to stay there for more than an odd day or 2. In particular, BWV and BC during fall frenzy and BRV/WL and GF during the Christmas holiday times.

DVC probably won't extend any contracts because of the cluster that the OKW extension has become. They can make more money in the future getting full resorts handed back to the for free rather than getting bits and pieces of resorts. On Feb 1, 2042, they can bulldoze the 2042 resorts (other than OKW) or renovate or just book them for cash while they are doing whatever they want to do with them. Timeshares might not even be the best deal they can make in 2042.

We own OKW (175 points and 50 points), BRV (100 points). OKW is usually not too difficult to book at seven months out, Kidani is about the same. BRV is smaller and can be a bit harder to book at seven months out. I love OKW the most of all.

So many great responses. Thank you all. I think we have narrowed it down to Wilderness but I’ve kept my mind open to both BRV and CCV now. The length of contract at BRV is too short and CCV is too long — I’ll be 84 and my daughter will be 58 when it expires. 😂.

We are planning to start making offers on resale beginning in August. I am not waiting any longer!!

They can make more money in the future getting full resorts handed back to the for free rather than getting bits and pieces of resorts.

Dont agree because I think they will presell the resort. There is really zero reason not to.

If they level the villas and rebuild it will they get more money? Doubt it.

They can easily just redo the resort the first 4-5 years as they resell BWV, BCV, and VWL.

Plus all 3 are attached to cash hotels that I doubt they would put out of commission.

As an example if they sold BWV for $250/point today would that still not sell out? I know I would buy.

They can even redo rooms as they declare them.

CCV is too long — I’ll be 84 and my daughter will be 58 when it expires. 😂.

Why do you think 84 and 58 will be too long? We're married with no kids both retired and still visiting WDW regularly. Our original home was OKW, but now we own at BWV. I keep thinking that I'd like to add more points at AKL or BLT.

Last edited:
One thing to consider with CCV is that if you don't plan to pass it on to your daughter, then you can always resell it -- and given the longer expiration, it will likely hold good value when you're ready to sell it since it'll probably have 20+ years left.

We love Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge, and so opted to start with BRV and then added on at AKL. This year, we just added on at CCV, as we do want to continue staying at the WL after BRV expires and figure we'll leave it to our children (or sell, if they don't want it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!