Re-thinking our August dates due to SWGE

Penmac

Mouseketeer
We have an offsite condo booked (free cancellation) from 8/19-8/28. This is just before SWGE is set to open at Hollywood Studios. I originally chose this week in August because my kids go back to school just after Labor Day so are still on summer break. But, lots of other places have already started back to school so the crowds seem thinner.

My initial reaction was relief that we will be there before the insanity, but now I am wondering if many people who had planned to go that week will move it up to our week to try and avoid the opening, thus creating a crowd surge at WDW in general just before the opening.

I know I can't predict the future and anything could happen. Just putting this out there for opinions, discussion or comments since I do have lots of flexibility and can still change things. Our trip has to be over the summer, but could be a different week in August (I prefer not to go in July). I am thinking I will probably leave it alone because moving it earlier in the month will bring in the crowds who do go back to school in late August. But, I am tempted to bump it up a week......

I think you're fine with those dates. It might be a little busier towards the tail end, but not bonkers crazy. Do all your Hollywood studios days earlier. I wouldn't worry about it.

Our dates are almost identical to yours and I initially had that same reaction but the more I think about it with the phased opening of SWGE and many not wanting to be there on day one I think crowds will still be great during our trip.

I’m also in Disney during that time (8/17-8/23) and also nervous that our trip might be affected as well!

I'm in the same boat! 8/19-8/24

I'm trying not to think too much about it. Even if it's crowded we will have a great time. Plus, I've gotten two Touring Plans alerts since the SWGE announcement so the pendulum could swing the other way too.

Our dates are almost identical to yours and I initially had that same reaction but the more I think about it with the phased opening of SWGE and many not wanting to be there on day one I think crowds will still be great during our trip.
Thanks, I hope so. We are driving from the Northeast and don't have to book flights, etc. I guess knowing I still have a fair amount of flexibility and control over this is making me second guess the dates. With that said, I am not sure how many people wake up and say, "I want to be there on opening day and wait 6 hours to get through the gate", so the idea that many people would avoid a trip that week is definitely valid.

Our dates are 8/25-9/1, and I’m definitely not pleased to be there for the madness. We’ll be staying as far from DHS as possible from the 29th onwards.

As you point out, most schools are back in session and no one pulls kids out during those first 1-2 weeks so crowds are always low that week - that’s why we go then (our schools don’t start until after Labor Day). I can’t inagine that changing and have to assume most weekday SWGE visitors will be local or adult only travelers. Or at least that’s what I’m hoping...

Disney is never slow anymore. It might work to your advantage as the crowd at HS will keep the other parks quiet. Make your plans and have a great trip. It really is a nice time to visit.

I think you'll be fine and it might actually be "slower" since most people will arrive 8/28 for SWL. I would just avoid DHS the last day.

Have a great trip!

IMO you're over thinking it. Most people that have those dates booked are locked in with discounts etc they don't want to lose.

We've gone the last week of August for the past 8 years and have a trip planned for 8/23 - 8/30. I'm not concerned at all. We are also in the Northeast and my son won't go back to school until the day after Labor Day. Most southern schools will have already started and, even where we live, if a kid is into fall sports, their practices will have started that week. No school district changed their school schedules to accommodate the opening of SWGE. Perhaps put DHS at the beginning of your week as, it's very possible, there will be soft openings of the ride later in that week. I spoke with a CM in reservations yesterday and asked her if they got slammed after the announcement of SWGE and she said no. She said they were very surprised, actually, and things were pretty normal on their end. IMHO, DHS will be slammed from 8/29 onwards. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm worried more about the heat than SWGE!

Same! We are leaving WDW on the 20th and I thought people may book earlier to creep reservations and fast passes. Hopefully we're safe!

Our dates are 8/24-8/29 with our last full day at Hollywood Studios. I wasn’t too happy with the idea of the parks being more crowded then predicted, but I’m not changing my plans. We have EMM planned for 8/28 for get my son on the Toy Story rides then we plan to hop later on to a different park.

Our dates are 8/25-9/1, and I’m definitely not pleased to be there for the madness. We’ll be staying as far from DHS as possible from the 29th onwards.

As you point out, most schools are back in session and no one pulls kids out during those first 1-2 weeks so crowds are always low that week - that’s why we go then (our schools don’t start until after Labor Day). I can’t inagine that changing and have to assume most weekday SWGE visitors will be local or adult only travelers. Or at least that’s what I’m hoping...

We were in Disney just before Pandora opened. We thought we would miss it....I planned for us to go to AK the day before opening...thinking that the crowds would be lighter. I was right....for the morning anyway. The best part was while we were waiting for rope drop; the Cast Member we were chatting it up with was pulled away for a moment. She came back and very softly told us that they are going to do a "Soft Opening" for Pandora...she doesn't think they will remain open all day....but if we want to go follow her closely she will walk us right into FoP. We were some of the first guests to ride. It was so awesome. By the time we left the Pandora area that part of the park was super crowded because rumor spread quickly that they were doing a soft opening. The rest of the park was NOT crowded at all. We literally walked onto everything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter