re:has anyone encountered this problem

Yikes, Miss Jasmine!!! What an experience!!! As much as I love sitting with others, I think that couple would turn me off.
Our of 17 cruises, we've been very lucky. There was only one time when we had an unfriendly person at our table. She was travelling with the adult daughter, and although the daughter was really friendly, the mom just sat around glaring. The only thing I could figure was that we were also seated with two women who I think were a "couple" (I'm not sure, as they were not obvious, but I got that impression). That doesn't bother me at all (they were actually really great, wild & crazy people...I loved hearing about their adventures in Nassau), but I wonder if it bothered the mom. Maybe not...maybe she just wasn't a social person.
The most interesting table we ever sat at was on Viking Serenade. We were with a couple in which the husband was literally 7 feet tall, plus two twin sisters who have sailed RCCL as frequently as we sail Disney and who seemed to be working their way through the crew (if you know what I mean). I laughed till my face hurt at their adventures in Mexico with their crew buddies.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Barb,
I just gave a brief synopsis. There was so much more that even the server couldn't stand them. For breakfast before debarkation he figured they weren't going to show up so he placed our carry off bags in their chairs. We were almost done with breakfast when they meandered in and asked us how Castaway Cay was!!!!!?????? They said they didn't feel like getting off the ship and actually slept right through (probably too hung over). Another story... first night at Lumiere's the wife asks for a paper napkin. Our server politely explains that there is cloth napkin there for her use. She goes oh no, I need a paper napkin to spit my gum in to. :rolleyes: There's more but I will spare everyone so as to not scare our newbies to death. :D

Yikes ! Sounds like a bad set of tablemates, to be sure! Too bad you can't 'vote' people off your table, like they do on Survivor :)

Barely a month left til we cruise .. I'm hoping we have a more fun table than we had last time, too !

How many people can you seat at a table? I am going with a total of 12 people, mostly teens. They are a quite a non-shy bunch so I son't wantthem intrudung on other people. Not, rowdy, just consider strangers friends they haven't met yet. And with everyone going in different directions all day, I am requiring everyone eat dinner together.

While I'm sure it was horrible at the time -- at least you have good stories to tell!!!

Our first cruise (4 nights), we shared our table the first night with an older couple from New Orleans on the ship with a large family group (sitting at the next table). Due to mixed signals on their part, they were with us jsut that one night and were then moved to sit with their family. I was a little nervous frankly as we were with our kids (then 3 and 2) and while they were very well behaved then and now, with little kids sometimes you just never know.... Our second cruise we got our own table -- which was great -- a little less pressure to keep the kids in line, but we struck up conversations nightly with the family at the next table that was also traveling with young children. We are cruising 7 nights in March, so we'll see what we get....

Casey's Mom, your comment about bad tablemates providing fodder for good stories reminded me of one of our lunches on Voyager of the Seas. We were at a large table, with three other parties, and one of the men at the table kept the rest of us in stiches during the whole meal with stories of his dinner tablemate. She was an old lady whom he said must have flown in aon a broom...she spent her meals complaining about everything, sending back every meal, and generally torturing their poor servers. We all laughed so hard at his descriptions that our faces hurt!!! This crabby old woman probably had no idea how much amusement she provided to others...I'm sure he entertained his other lunch companions with stories about her throughout the cruise.
Barb

Hubby and I took our very first Disney cruise last January to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We had early seating and we didn't make any table requests as we weren't sure we'd like a table for four, with just one other couple, or a larger table with more people so we just left it to the luck of the draw. The brochure states that "generally families will dine with other families and couples will dine with other couples" so I was at the very least hoping we weren't at a table with children. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate children. We raised two of our own, and have two grandchildren that we adore. But I was very surprised when we went to dinner the first night and saw a package of crayons at one of the table settings. Uh-oh, a child! We were put with a family of five. I think the oldest was 13 or 14, the middle girl was around 10 and the youngest was 6. The two older girls weren't a bother at all, but the youngest one caused a few problems. Not enough for us to request a change, but enough that I was uncomfortable. Plus they were "well-to-do" and flaunted it so that made it a bit uncomfortable as well. Thankfully we only had to eat dinner with them, not breakfast and lunch as well. :) I mean, they were nice enough and friendly and the conversation did flow pretty well around the table, but I was just not totally comfortable with them, and we didn't "bond" with them or do any excursions together or exchange addresses, etc. We have booked the Western Magic for 1/03 and I'm already "preparing myself" that we'll have to dine with other people again for dinner. I do wish Disney offered "tables for two" other than at Palo's. We didn't do Palo's last time, but plan to this time, at least one night, maybe two if we can manage it. And I'm glad to hear Topsiders is now open for dinner. We thoroughly enjoyed eating there for breakfast and lunch, just so we could be alone. It will be nice to have that alternative for dinner too. We just really are not "people persons", we prefer to spend our time together, not making "small talk" with strangers. Like another poster said, to each their own. Oh, we did try to eat breakfast one day at Lumiere's as hubby wanted to try their eggs benedict. But they wanted to seat us with another couple, even though there were plenty of empty tables. We said no, we preferred a table to ourselves and the gentleman seating us just rolled his eyes so we turned and walked away! :(

Although you used to have to be seated with others at lunch, on our last Wonder trip they asked us whether we wanted to be aloneor be seated with others. I suspect this might be a recent change to accommodate people who prefer some "alone time" or family time for lunch.
Barb

On our last (first) cruise we asked that we be seated alone for meals. We have a DS who is a special needs child and we didn't want to disturb anyones dinner if he was not cooperating. We were seated next to a wonderful family of 4 at another table. Because the tables are so close togeather we were able to easily have a nice conversation with them during meals but we still had some distance between us. My DD made plans to swim with them at one time and she was happy to see the children at the Oceaneers Club. She was thrilled to know someone there when she arrived. For our next cruise we are requesting the same seating arrangements and we are hoping that we are seated next to another fun family. Oh, DS was wonderful at mealtime the servers really went above and beyond to make sure he was well taken care of.

Just my $.02...DH & I cruised for the 1st time for our Honeymoon & probably more than ever wanted to dine by ourselves or at least with other honeymoon couples. Alas, that was not to be! We were with couples who were in their 60's, 70's & 80's. They were all pleasant people, just didn't have much to converse about with them. My husband & I enjoy being with other adults & also enjoy family time. It all depends on our mood that day! I know my daughter would love to dine with another family or a single with kids, she is very outgoing! I think if you want family time, you should be able to have family time @dinner. I would request that ahead of time so they could try to accomodate me. Since we are doing the 4 day cruise & WDW for 10 days I will enjoy the time @dinner with others. Now watch, I'll have to eat with just my family!(LOL) We will be on the Wonder 4 night cruise on 8/11/2002, anyone who wants to join us, you are more than welcome. No one wants to inconvenience someone else or feel unwelcomed. Maybe we could put in our own table request for us to be seated together! Just a thought! No one can be right or wrong in how they feel about their dinner preferences. After all, I enjoy dinner without my kids too! Kathy :wave:

We are a family of six (DD10, DS7, DD6, DD4) and we will be traveling on a 7 Night Eastern. I look very forward to being seated with and around other people and families. We love to interact with other people of all kinds. If they seat us with a couple, a family, people young or old, I guarantee, sitting with our bunch they will have a blast!

Everyone is different. There is nothing wrong with a family or couple wanting to dine alone or without children at a table. But... what I do think is wrong is to not speak up about it. If you have special requests (such as dining preferences), please let DCL know ahead of time so that people like me and my family (who enjoy interacting with others) do not have to dine with people that are uncomfortable dining with us.

From what I have learned so far about DCL, they are willing to go above and beyond to make sure that everybody's experience is enjoyable.

1 Disney Lovin' Mom
Memphis, TN

:earsgirl:

Well said, 1 Disney Lovin Mom!:)
Unfortunately, from what Ive been told, DCL doesnt offer tables for 2. So even with a request, most likely couples who want to be alone are out of luck. I definitely wont not like people at my table, or be rude to them, because I have to sit with them, and it wont totally ruin my vacation, but I will be very uncomfortable at dinner time and would much prefer to be seated alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter