RE: getting on rides with limited mobility

Joe merchant

Earning My Ears
Hello, I am planning to take me dad down to Disney World for a couple of days. I'm using a wheel chair to get him around, he can walk a little bit but there's no way that he can walk onto the moving platform that some rides have. Can you request the moving platform to stop so that my Dad can get on the ride safely? Such as the Haunted Mansion & Peter Pan's flight in the magic Kingdom. Also, are the boats on Pirates of the Caribbean outfitted so that my dad can be wheeled onto the boat?

I would appreciate any feedback on what rides at EPCOT & the Magic Kingdom are best, we will not be traveling to MGM Studios or Animal Kingdom .

I thank you in advance for any advice.

Unfortunately, the walkway at Peter Pan cannot be stopped, not can the moving sidewalk to the people mover. They can slow/stop the walkway in the HM, but they don’t seeem to like to do it on busy days.

Wheelchairs cannot be accommodated on POC because of the waterfall- there’s. O way to secure the rider.

This is copied from the disABILITIES FAQs thread located near the top of this board.

For MK, this is a list of attractions with accessibility information. Guests using wheelchairs can access all attractions to the point of boarding. In some cases, the boarding area will be somewhere other than the regular boarding area. If there is a different boarding area, CMs will direct you where to go.

All queues, with a few exceptions, are wheelchair accessible to the point of boarding. I put those in bold that guests would be able to stay in the wheelchair or ECV for the line.
Some attractions have a wheelchair car. Those are noted. In most cases, guests with an ECV would need to be able to transfer to a wheelchair to use these wheelchair cars. (Those attractions have wheelchairs to transfer to.)
The ones just in black regular type are ones that require a transfer that may be difficult.

• Magic Kingdom Railroad - about a 12 inch step up into the train car. The train station at Main Street is on second floor level. There is no elevator. If walking, there is a fairly steep set of steps. Guests using wheelchairs and ECVs go up a steep switchback ramp on the right side, as you face the station. ECV users will park their ECV and leave it at the station. There is a wheelchair accessible ride car (I have sometimes seen very small ECVs on the train).
  • Astro Orbiter - about a 12-15 ins step over the side of the car and the seat is very close to the ground. List says to see a CM for assistance with elevator. ECVs can't go up elevator to platform. Wheelchair may in certain circumstances (I.e. If person can't walk).
  • Big Thunder Mountain - fairly level step in, but opening is narrow. The regular queue includes some fairly steep ramps. Wheelchair/ECV access is thru a side entrance and you may be given a return time to come back to ride. Guest needs to ride twice in a row to return back to the same side as they boarded on, where their mobility device will be waiting.
  • Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin - about 4-6 inch step up into ride car. Moving walkway, which can be stopped or slowed. ECVs have been seen in the line at times, but need to be taken outside after boarding if they were allowed in line (very small inside parking area). There is a wheelchair accessible ride car.
  • Carousel of Progress
  • Country Bear Jamboree
  • Dream Along with Mickey (show on the castle stage)
  • Dumbo the Flying Elephant - about a 6 inch narrow step over the side of the ride car. Has one transfer Dumbo where the side of the Dumbo can be swung away for an easier transfer. It is a low seat to transfer into.
  • Enchanted Tales with Belle. This has allowed ECVs in the past, but is listed as must transfer to wheelchair. Check with the CM at the entrance for your options.
  • Enchanted Tiki Room
  • Hall of Presidents
  • The Haunted Mansion - has a moving walkway, which can be slowed or stopped and a wheelchair can be brought as close to the Doombuggy as you need. Floor almost level with moving walkway.
  • it's a small world - about a 12 inch step over the side of the boat, then about 10-12 inches down to the seat and about 10-12 inches down to the floor. This is a link to a thread about Small World with pictures, showing the wheelchair boat. The boat is not ECV accessible. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2711435
  • Jungle Cruise - about a 6 inch step up to the top of the boat and then about a 10 inch step down into the seat of the boat and another 10-12 inches down to the floor. Lift boat is wheelchair and ECV accessible.
  • Liberty Square Riverboat
  • Mad Tea Party - about 6 inch step up over the edge of the saucer, then about an 8-10 inch step over the side of the teacup - narrow opening
  • The Magic Carpets of Aladdin - narrow opening with about a 6 inch step over the side of the carpet. There is a wheelchair accessible carpet.
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - about a six inch step up into the honeypot. There is a wheelchair accessible honey pot.
  • Mickey's Philharmagic
  • Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
  • Pete's Silly Sideshow - meet and greet
  • Peter Pan's Flight - moving walkway which can't be slowed or stopped. Floor of pirate ship is almost level with moving walkway. The new Fastpass and regular line is wheelchair and ECV accessible to a point about 30 feet from boarding. Wheelchairs might be able to be brought closer for boarding, but there will still be a walk involved.
  • Pirates of the Caribbean - This attraction has a very long queue - even without a wait, you will be walking a long distance if you don’t bring a wheelchair into line. Guests with ECVs can park the ECV and borrow a wheelchair to use in the line. About a 6-8 inch step over the side of the boat, about 6 inches down to the seat and another 8-12 inches down to the floor. Steep moving walkway to get back up to ground level at the unload area. There is an elevator down a small hallway to the left
  • Prince Charming's Regal Carrousel - there is a chariot, but it is a step up and a few steps to get to it.
  • Princess Fairytale Hall - Princess Meet and greet
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - wheelchair can be brought up to the train car. There is an ADA car with a wider opening.
  • Space Mountain -step over the side of the ride car
  • Splash Mountain - Regular line has a flight of stairs. about a 15 inch step over the side of the ride car with a narrow opening.
  • Stitch's Great Escape! this is closed and has been replaced with a meet and greet.
  • Swiss Family Treehouse - MANY flights of stairs, some are twisting, most are narrow and many are steep. Not accessible
  • The Barnstormer - must transfer, step over the side
  • Tom Sawyer Island - island is not accessible, but guests in wheelchairs can go on raft over to island
  • Tomorrowland Speedway - low car with step over side to get in and seat close to ground level. This queue is coded by WDW as accessible, but may not be ECV accessible.
  • Tomorrowland Transit Authority - not accessible; the station is at 2nd floor level and there is a very steep moving walkway to get there and back down. Ride load and unload includes a moving walkway which is not stopped. Small step up into ride car
  • Town Square Theater - meet and greets
  • Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid - does have moving walkway, which can be stopped or slowed. Wheelchair accessible ride car.

In addition, guests MIGHT be able to make a transfer onto the ride car for Haunted Mansion if they can transfer from a wheelchair. It is not that difficult of a transfer because it has a level floor and the transfer car has a door wider opening. You can park a wheelchair as close as you need to park by the ride car with the moving walkway closed. The guest would need to explain what is needed to the CM.

I was just at Magic with my grandma. We had them stop Peter Pans walkway so she could get on and off.

They stopped Peter Pan at the Magic Kingdom in Florida? That's one of those things that's hard to believe. Disneyland's Peter Pan ride can be sort of stopped since it's not a continuous track. But to stop the ride in Disney World you have to stop every single car. They leaves people suspended stationary in the air above certain parts and the stop is not a smooth one. WDW considers that very unsafe.

Cool, I'll have to try it next trip.

It sure wouldn't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. I've been a Disney regular since Dec. 1971 (opening year) and I have never once saw them stop Peter Pan for anyone. Probably because the ships are high above the floor and don't want the liability of anyone trying to get out/falling, etc.

I was lucky enough to get stuck on it once, right over top the town below, which I have been completely fascinated with since I was a child. It was awesome to get to have a bit of an extended look at it. They had the announcement rolling about how they were having difficulties and urging people not to move from their seats. It wasn't longer than a few minutes when it started again.

When we got off the ride I asked the attendant if they were stopping for people to board now (I have a paraplegic son) and she gave me a very firm, "No ma'am. We are never allowed to stop it on purpose." I forget which trip this was, but I think it was in November 2017.

It sure wouldn't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. I've been a Disney regular since Dec. 1971 (opening year) and I have never once saw them stop Peter Pan for anyone. Probably because the ships are high above the floor and don't want the liability of anyone trying to get out/falling, etc.

I was lucky enough to get stuck on it once, right over top the town below, which I have been completely fascinated with since I was a child. It was awesome to get to have a bit of an extended look at it. They had the announcement rolling about how they were having difficulties and urging people not to move from their seats. It wasn't longer than a few minutes when it started again.

When I got off the ride I asked the attendant if they were stopping for people to board now (I have a paraplegic son) and she gave me a very firm, "No ma'am. We are never allowed to stop it on purpose." I forget which trip this was, but I think it was in November 2017.
That’s what I have always heard.

I was always told that the ride could not be stopped. However this past August a CM asked me if I needed the ride stopped to be able to get on. I wished now I would have said yes just to see it stopped.

That's a great idea!!
’ll be interested to hear because people in the past who said yes were told it could not be stopped and that the reason they asked was so that people would know they had a limited amount of time and space to board.

They stopped the moving walkway for me back in Jan 2010 when I fell getting out of the ride. The cast member then held onto my 5 year old's hand and the stroller we were using as a wheelchair for my 2 year old. (DH had already buckled her back in) DH helped me up and then the CM asked if I was ok and if we wanted medical called. Other than being a bit sore I was fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts