RCI upgrades?

ktate82

DIS Veteran
We have a 1 bedroom booked through RCI at SSR. Pretty excited because we have never stayed here and that we got a DVC resort through RCI. There was an option that we selected where for a fee, we could upgrade to a 2 bedroom (or another resort) if avaliable. Is it if the 2 bedroom is dropped into RCI or if the resort has availability? We weren't sure which because right now, SSR is showing open 2 bedrooms for the month that we are there (next several months actually). Has anyone had that upgrade avaliable for them before?

I believe the upgrade has to come from RCI's inventory. I upgraded this year to "RCI PLATINUM" which includes a free upgrade request. For my RCI exchanges into SSR, I've set the following 6 upgrade requests, where "6" is the maximum:
  • SSR 2BR or larger
  • OKW 1BR or larger
  • AKV 1BR or larger
  • BLT 1BR or larger
  • VGF 1BR or larger
  • BWV 1BR or larger
So, one request is for a larger unit and the other requests are lateral in size at different locations. From what I understand, the requests must match w/in RCI's inventory inside of 2-weeks from check-in. I doubt any will come through ... and that is OK w/ me as I'm half afraid a change will completely mess up my FP+ reservations!

Firstly dvc rarely deposits 2br into RCI. So to get a 2br is like getting a unicorn.

Secondly the upgrade request will only come into effect IF a 2br is deposited 14 days or less before arrival.

I’m not saying miracles doesn’t happen but you definitely shouldn’t bet on it.

I figured it would be RCI availability, but thought I would ask. We are happy with a one bedroom at SSR, but if we have the option to a larger unit, I’m ok with that. Thanks for the insight.

I figured it would be RCI availability, but thought I would ask. We are happy with a one bedroom at SSR, but if we have the option to a larger unit, I’m ok with that. Thanks for the insight.

One thing you can do to try and get a 2br unit is to book a studio (same type as the 1br) with you DVC points and then get the ressies linked. Avoid online checkin.
At checkin ask for a 2br unit tell them you have both a 1br and studio booked. I have had success with this in the past but as with everything else there are no guarantees.

Firstly dvc rarely deposits 2br into RCI. So to get a 2br is like getting a unicorn.

Secondly the upgrade request will only come into effect IF a 2br is deposited 14 days or less before arrival.

I’m not saying miracles doesn’t happen but you definitely shouldn’t bet on it.

If it must come out of inventory that has been deposited with RCI, then good luck with that. Why? Because for the last 2 years, I have gone through RCI requested ANY 2 bedroom units ANYWHERE in Disney World for ANY DATES! I even have paid RCI a $250 deposit to keep those requests active. I guarantee, I should be at the top of the list for ANY 2 bedrooms at Disney World that come up through RCI. But, not a peep from them, except for them to send me emails once in a while to tell me they are still searching. Oh, and to offer me a unit somewhere just outside of Disney World. I know about those. I also own a ton of points at Worldmark and I know RCI has a lot of units in Orlando. But that isn't what I want. It's INSIDE Disney World - doesn't even have to be a DVC Villa - or nothing.

One thing you can do to try and get a 2br unit is to book a studio (same type as the 1br) with you DVC points and then get the ressies linked. Avoid online checkin.
At checkin ask for a 2br unit tell them you have both a 1br and studio booked. I have had success with this in the past but as with everything else there are no guarantees.

We are out of DVC points this year or I would (thus using RCI points). We will be fine in a one bedroom. It would just be nice for the extra bathroom and beds for the kids.

Wonder why Disney won’t release the SSR 2 bedrooms to RCI, they are pretty much the only DVC room that appear to not book completely up. Oh but if they did this then how could they complain and jack up point costs for studios and one bedrooms.

We have a 1 bedroom booked through RCI at SSR. Pretty excited because we have never stayed here and that we got a DVC resort through RCI. There was an option that we selected where for a fee, we could upgrade to a 2 bedroom (or another resort) if avaliable. Is it if the 2 bedroom is dropped into RCI or if the resort has availability? We weren't sure which because right now, SSR is showing open 2 bedrooms for the month that we are there (next several months actually). Has anyone had that upgrade avaliable for them before?
Sorry, just dealing with II on something else and trying to multi task. RCI will allow an upgrade at the time of the original exchange subject to TPU. To change it, it'd be a new exchange and a new fee. DVC won't do the upgrade under any circumstances other than issues on their end.

Last edited:
Wonder why Disney won’t release the SSR 2 bedrooms to RCI, they are pretty much the only DVC room that appear to not book completely up. Oh but if they did this then how could they complain and jack up point costs for studios and one bedrooms.
You'd have to ask DVCMC but it's likely a combination of demand and to use the points. SSR is of lower demand and the 1 BR eats points like no other. So if they give 1 BR they have to give up less units total by far.

II has always allowed upgrades subject to availability. More recently they've started charging a fee to get them (outside the 60 days window). It would have been part of your search criteria. Did you do the ePlus, if so, you could retrace if you see a larger unit sitting online. In reality the chances of matching a 2 BR are almost zero. I've only seen one report of a 2 BR in the past 3 years or so. DVC son't do this but you could potentially get a studio separately and have them assigned as a unit but this cannot be guaranteed so it'd be a risk.

OP have done the exchange through RCI and not through II. Btw I don’t think DVC is depositing anything through II anymore.

You'd have to ask DVCMC but it's likely a combination of demand and to use the points. SSR is of lower demand and the 1 BR eats points like no other. So if they give 1 BR they have to give up less units total by far.
But Dean, how could that be?? They said 1 bedrooms are more in demand (by Members) than 2 bedrooms and so that is why the 2020 charts (rescinded) lowered the points for 2 bedrooms and INCREASED them for both 1 bedrooms and studios! ;) ;) :teeth:

OP have done the exchange through RCI and not through II. Btw I don’t think DVC is depositing anything through II anymore.
RCI allows upgrades as well but they don't charge a fee. What they do charge is a higher TPU (trade power unit) and an exchange fee. DVC no longer uses II, that is correct.

RCI allows upgrades as well but they don't charge a fee. What they do charge is a higher TPU (trade power unit) and an exchange fee. DVC no longer uses II, that is correct.

There was an option for $49 if a larger unit opens up two weeks before, they would automatically upgrade the week.

There was an option for $49 if a larger unit opens up two weeks before, they would automatically upgrade the week.
I'd take that if you get a refund without the upgrade, not if it's non refundable.

So can someone please verify or refute that banked DVC 2018 points can be exchanged into RCI now with the intention of booking a WDW DVC room in the future?

And to add they can't be used to book any resort within some predefined distance from WDW. I don't recall the distance exactly.
30 miles, it was 45 with II but there aren't any between 30 & 45 miles anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter