RCCL vs DCL : Getting to know RCCL (information and review thread)

Specialty Restaurants:
Johnny Rockets - at sea branch of the American burger chain. Depending on the ship, you either pay a la carte or a fixed fee. Burgers are cooked on a flattop. Per the RC Blog, shakes are rumoured to be included in the beverage package.

We are currently on the Oasis. On the 1st day of our cruise Johnny Rockets told us that we could get free shakes with both the Refreshment drink package and Deluxe drink package. The 2nd cruise day they said there was a misunderstanding — only the deluxe plan included shakes. If you have the Refreshment package you have to buy a meal to get a free shake. The 3rd day we were told that even if you have the deluxe plan you have to buy a meal to get a free shake. We pulled up Royal’s website which said they were included on the deluxe plan and went to Guest Services to find out what the deal was. They said they were included, and they called JR’s in front of us. JRs told them they changed their policy. I nicely told the man at Guest Services that they should change the info on their site, and he agreed. We are having a fabulous time otherwise!!! It’s going to be hard to leave tomorrow. Let me know if I can answer any questions!

We are currently on the Oasis. On the 1st day of our cruise Johnny Rockets told us that we could get free shakes with both the Refreshment drink package and Deluxe drink package. The 2nd cruise day they said there was a misunderstanding — only the deluxe plan included shakes. If you have the Refreshment package you have to buy a meal to get a free shake. The 3rd day we were told that even if you have the deluxe plan you have to buy a meal to get a free shake. We pulled up Royal’s website which said they were included on the deluxe plan and went to Guest Services to find out what the deal was. They said they were included, and they called JR’s in front of us. JRs told them they changed their policy. I nicely told the man at Guest Services that they should change the info on their site, and he agreed. We are having a fabulous time otherwise!!! It’s going to be hard to leave tomorrow. Let me know if I can answer any questions!

I'll get back to you. :)

You can add us the roll call, too. I just booked our very first ever cruise on Brilliance of the Sea! We're on the Oct 29 5 day sailing.

You're on the list now! :) I'm envious. We were supposed to sail on Brilliance of the Seas last year but had a change of plan.

Other complimentary activities:
Laser tag on select ships (I think Indy, Mariner and Symphony)
Sky Pad (virtual reality trampolines) (Indy and Mariner)

Then for a fee there's the escape rooms.

Other 'shows' throughout the cruise include:
Parades (tend to be different themes on different ship)
Flag parade or nations
70's, 80's, 90's and Rock Britannia street parties.

Other complimentary activities:
Laser tag on select ships (I think Indy, Mariner and Symphony)
Sky Pad (virtual reality trampolines) (Indy and Mariner)

Then for a fee there's the escape rooms.

Other 'shows' throughout the cruise include:
Parades (tend to be different themes on different ship)
Flag parade or nations
70's, 80's, 90's and Rock Britannia street parties.
It depends on the ship. On Anthem, the escape room was free. Anthem also has IFly and NorthStar for free.
Denise

It depends on the ship. On Anthem, the escape room was free. Anthem also has IFly and NorthStar for free.
Denise

I dont know about anthem but at least on Harmony, Symphony and Independence there is now a fee for the escape room.

Adventure Ocean:
Is split into three age groups as already stated. On smaller ships and during port days on the majority of ships the 6-8 and 9-11 age groups are combined.

There are three different sessions every day that have different themes: a different science and craft and games every session. They run at 9-12, 2-5, and 7-10. Kids can come and go as they please throughout the session and unlike DCL they are strict with their ratio and will stop sign ins once capacity is reached.

During port days advenure ocean will be open all day and any kids will be taken for lunch in the windjammer and have movie time in the break between morning and afternoon session. If there are a small number of kids they may go for a walk around the ship and get ice cream too...

There is also the option for kids to stay for dinner on certain days where they get taken for dinner in the windjammer in the break between afternoon and evening session. Unlike port day lunches kids have to be pre signed up for dinner and it normally only happens on certain days but can vary ship to ship. Normally it's formal nights and days that the ship leaves port late. However some ships offer this every night.

Unlike dcl staterooms do not have wave/dect phones. Nursery kids will always get given a phone/pager at check in, as will 3 year olds and kids with additional needs when there is availability.

After 10pm kids can stay up till 2am, but there is a charge of $7 a child an hour. This is called late night party zone.

On a sea day there are 2 family activities offered and on port days there is one.

Technically any child can be a self signer, meaning they can sign themselves in and out of adventure ocean, but staff may only advertise/suggest for the voyagers (9-11) age group. Older siblings can sign out younger ones. However, when the ship is docked someone over the age of 18 has to drop off and pick up kids from advenure ocean. As soon as the ship is moving again then anyone (authorised) can sign in and out again.

Last edited:
My 12YO is heartbroken that he can’t participate in the escape room on Indy. He’s done several at home and loves the challenge.

Adventure Ocean:
Is split into three age groups as already stated. On smaller ships and during port days on the majority of ships the 6-8 and 9-11 age groups are combined.

There are three different sessions every day that have different themes: a different science and craft and games every session. They run at 9-12, 2-5, and 7-10. Kids can come and go as they please throughout the session and unlike DCL they are strict with their ratio and will stop sign ins once capacity is reached.

During port days advenure ocean will be open all day and any kids will be taken for lunch in the windjammer and have movie time in the break between morning and afternoon session. If there are a small number of kids they may go for a walk around the ship and get ice cream too...

There is also the option for kids to stay for dinner on certain days where they get taken for dinner in the windjammer in the break between afternoon and evening session. Unlike port day lunches kids have to be pre signed up for dinner and it normally only happens on certain days but can vary ship to ship. Normally it's formal nights and days that the ship leaves port late. However some ships offer this every night.

Unlike dcl staterooms do not have wave/dect phones. Nursery kids will always get given a phone/pager at check in, as will 3 year olds and kids with additional needs when there is availability.

After 10pm kids can stay up till 2am, but there is a charge of $7 a child an hour. This is called late night party zone.

On a sea day there are 2 family activities offered and on port days there is one.

Technically any child can be a self signer, meaning they can sign themselves in and out of adventure ocean, but staff may only advertise/suggest for the voyagers (9-11) age group. Older siblings can sign out younger ones. However, when the ship is docked someone over the age of 18 has to drop off and pick up kids from advenure ocean. As soon as the ship is moving again then anyone (authorised) can sign in and out again.

I copy-pasted those info in the first post. Thank you!

Great thread. Please add us to the roll call. We are on Allure for the Halloween Cruise on 10/28.

Would love more info on the specialty restaurants as we bought the ultimate dining package.

Great thread. Please add us to the roll call. We are on Allure for the Halloween Cruise on 10/28.

Would love more info on the specialty restaurants as we bought the ultimate dining package.

Glad you like the thread (although it is still under construction).

I added your cruise to the roll call! :)

I'll let experienced RCCL cruisers give you the info regarding your package! :)

Door decorations/fish extenders
There are no fishes or similar to allow for extenders

Decorations are allowed for Royal, but it’s not common. Magnetic whiteboards are used, but it is not a common sight.

On Harmony, doors were flat so you could easily add decorations to the door.

On Allure, the doors have wavy ridges on them which make it difficult to place magnets on it. We actually put our whiteboard beside the door. Have not had any complaints about it yet.

Lanyards
Harmony, Symphony and Quantum class ships use rfid cards, so DCL lanyards with the pouch can be used with no problems

Other ships use a magnetic stripe, and guest services will hole punch your card (for free!) so you can clip your SeaPass to your lanyard.

Please add me to the Roll call

Recently Booked:
August 18 2019 7 night Jewel of the Sea- Greek Isles. It's my 1st RCI cruise.

I'm also contemplating an RCI cruise for my 40th inspired by the movie Crazy Rich Asians a 5 nights cruise on Quantum of the Sea- Spice of Southeast Asia

Let you know when or if I book it..

More stuff to add:
Boarding/Embarkation
(Port Everglades)

- Once dropped off you make your way to the boarding area.
- There are entrances for suites, express check in and regular check in.
- Once you enter the building you will go through the security area.
- As with DCL, this is generally the bottleneck point.
- Past security is the check in counters, organized by deck number, and Crown & Anchor status. Since the status break is gold and above, there is really no effective difference between the two lines.
- If you've done most or all of the check in online, they'll scan your boarding pass and let you through. You may need to retake your ID photo.
- On some of the ships you may not get a seapass card until you board. If that is the case your boarding pass will get you on board the ship.
- You then proceed to the centre of the terminal. You can take a picture here if you'd like
- Past the picture area are kiosks selling impulse items like lanyards.
- Head up the escalators
- To the left are the kids muster wristband tables
- Seats are separated based on C&A status.
- Boarding starts from highest C&A status to lowest
- You will need to scan your boarding pass several times between check in and actually boarding, so keep it in your hand.

Muster Drill
On Oasis class your drill station is likely to be inside, on level 4 or 5. You will be asked to head to the station ahead of the actual drill. If you have difficulty standing it is recommended that you do this.

Movies
On Oasis class movies are shown either in the main theatre or the aqua theatre.

CAFÉS/COFFEE SHOPS
On Oasis class:
Promenade Cafe (Promenade) - 24/7. Free coffee, Seattle's Best for $
Park Cafe (Central Park). Free coffee, Seattle's Best for $
Starbucks (Promenade (Oasis/Allure), Boardwalk (Harmony)) for $

Included Beverages
- Drip Coffee
- Tea
- Hot Chocolate
- Water
- Various flavoured water
- Lemonades
- Iced Tea

Note: You can get ice from the Freestyle machines even if you don't have a drink package.

SHOPS
On Allure:
- Michael Kors
- Coach
- Kate Spade
- Jewelry
- Watches
- Duty Free
- RCI Merch

INTERNET
- Voom wireless internet is very good. There are two price levels - one for mostly surfing and one for mostly streaming. I haven't done much streaming but the lower tier seems to be fine.
- The Royal Caribbean app is currently testing a free chat feature on Allure

DISEMBARKATION
- On my last cruise they assigned a departure number based on your check-in info (they ask you when/how you are leaving)
- Self Disembarkation starts roughly between 6:30-7 am
- Standard Disembarkation starts roughly between 7:30-8am
- Last call is at roughly 10:30am
- Once you leave the ship you will be sent off to an upper level waiting area before going downstairs to the baggage claim. If you have a late number you may end up standing here a while. There are seats so if you need to sit down do not be afraid to ask.
- Port Everglades has a Global Entry/Mobile Passport line which can save you a lot of time at the terminal.
- Customs may be split into US Citizen, Global Entry/Mobile Passport and International Citizen queues.
- FLL is approximately 10 minutes away by taxi.
- If you have an 11am flight you can easily make it if you have an early departure number (say < 10).

Please add me to roll call. Brilliance of the Sea; 5 night sailing 10/15/18

This is our first RCCL cruise only have done DCL. I’m worrying it won’t measure up. We are going with another couple that aren’t Disney fanatics like us. I really don’t want to compare everything to DCL

This is our first RCCL cruise only have done DCL. I’m worrying it won’t measure up. We are going with another couple that aren’t Disney fanatics like us. I really don’t want to compare everything to DCL
Here's the thing - you will compare a lot of things to DCL. If you've only done DCL, how could you not? After all, you have no other frame of reference. And whether you end up thinking DCL is better or not, remember this one thing - you're still on a cruise, still on vacation. There are plenty worse places to be.

Here's the thing - you will compare a lot of things to DCL. If you've only done DCL, how could you not? After all, you have no other frame of reference. And whether you end up thinking DCL is better or not, remember this one thing - you're still on a cruise, still on vacation. There are plenty worse places to be.[/QUOTE]

This is my Philosophy going into it. I have done 3 Carnival Cruises and been on the DCL once on the dream. I have not had a bad cruise yet. Even when they cancelled 2 of our islands on one of our Carnival itineraries due to a Hurricane we still had an amazing time. I'm excited to try RCCL and see what they have to offer. I'm hoping my kids like it as well because if I can't find a cruise for 2020 on DCL I will be doing RCCL again or trying Norwegian.

Last edited:
Port everglades, after security and scanning your carry ons. There are lines for gold and up, diamond and d+ and pinnacles and suites line to check in. Most times I just go in whatever line is the shortest except for suites if I am not sailing in one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!