Rationale behind selling points for cash instead of using them

Can someone tell me the rationale behind selling points for cash vs using them, i.e., for a cruise

• Logical reasons

Votes: 15 100.0%
  • Illogical reasons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It's strictly financial. If you can rent out the points that you would otherwise use to trade for the cruise and then pay cash for the cruise and have money left over you've done better to rent and pay cash vs strictly trading points to book the cruise. And it's pretty rare you wouldn't end up with cash in your pocket although now and then point requirements for the cruises have ended up being lower.

So - rent out the exact number of points otherwise required to trade and pay for the cruise with the cash you receive and still have cash left over? Or trade points directly for the cruise and have no cash left over?

Figure out the number of points required for your cruise. Multiply by $14.50 (amount David’s pays). If this number is less than the cash price of your cruise, use points. If it is more, rent your points, pay cash and put the leftover money in your pocket.

Can someone tell me the rationale behind selling points for cash vs using them, i.e., for a Disney Cruise?
In addition to what @KAT4DISNEY posted, some owners cannot trade into Concierge or the Disney Collection even if they wanted to. Resale owners who purchased after March 11, 2011 fall in that category. So we rent our points when we want to vacation elsewhere.

I have done both....rented out my points for DCL and used points when I didn't want to take the extra step. I frequently never paid full price for a DCL sailing, so paying cash then is especially wise. (When I want to cruise Celebrity, which is who we generally sail with now, I rent out my points to pay for that too.)

Another reason it is cheaper to rent your points rather than use your points for a cruise:
When you price a cruise on DCL. they will quote you a price based on double occupancy for 2 people.
If you look at the points chart, you must spend the amount of points per person. This can make going on points almost twice the cost of booking with cash.

At first glance, the prices seem similar. But then you have to double the number of points if there are 2 people in the cabin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter