Rant Alert: So disappointed to see the "new" Mickey in Mickey's Mix Magic

I am honestly surprised as the issues so many are having - change can be a four letter word for people though...especially as we get older.
Yes, especially in a time when people are so uncertain about what the future may bring. The less assurance people feel with regard to their future, the more they try to cling to artifacts of their past.

I notice often that a gut reaction here to something is often softened over time, as people get used to something ...
If Disney is good at anything they're good at understanding how they need to change over time to remain relevant and at or near the top. People have been second-guessing their decisions for as long as they've been making decisions yet they're not only still here but they're currently on top.

There was a point when every animation Disney put out was polished.
They still are, and that's the point. You may not see the polish because you want the result to be different, but the polish is there. It has to be there because they're producing content today knowing that 8K and 16K are coming.

I don’t want to see Disney gradually phase out some of the classics in favor of Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, and Disney Jr, but it may happen somewhat, for good reason, as time goes on. They have to showcase and reflect what the kids of today want in order to stay relevant.
For sure.

Your perspective is so interesting to me as someone who knows nothing about animation. Thank you for sharing!

Agreed. I learned a lot about the newer processes in animation

Good morning and thanks! I'm sorry if I came across as defensive or combative...I sincerely hope I didn't...I was just trying to explain my perspective but don't think I did a good job...LOL!

What in the world does "polish" mean. Specifically.

The new shorts are expertly done. They just aren't in a style that some people don't like. Otherwise they are fantastic, especially for how many they are making.

What in the world does "polish" mean. Specifically.

The new shorts are expertly done. They just aren't in a style that some people don't like. Otherwise they are fantastic, especially for how many they are making.

Well, polish is a little different for 2D and 3D Animators (I am a 3D Animator). In 2D...you get your Animatic for a shot which is a rough animation of your shot with the idea and length of time the shot is. This establishes the parameters for your shot. You then start drawing your key poses (known as Keyframes) for the shot which is the backbone of your shot. This stage I guess would be called Blocking stage. At this point I guess you would call it the "polish" phase where the Blocking pass is reviewed and changes to make the shot better are done (fresh eyes giving notes for improvement). If you were to watch the animation at this point it would look very "choppy" but you would understand what is going on. Once that is approved, the frames in between the Keyframes are drawn in (known as in-betweens) so the animation would no longer look "choppy". Once the In-betweens are done the animation reviewed once more and a "polish pass" may be done here but it's more work to make changes at this point...then it goes down the pipeline to other artists to finish the shot (background, color...ext)

in 3D, you get your Animatic or Layout which is a file with your characters, basic environment, audio track and camera movement and frame length. After planning out your shot and shooting acting reference (if applicable) you then start posing your character(s) in key poses (Blocking phase). Once your Blocking phase poses (keyframes) are approved, you move to Spline phase. This is where the computer interpolates the character's poses in between your keyframes...but the software (usually Maya) generally doesn't do a good job at it so you are spending a lot of time adding in more keyframes to make the animation look "smooth". Once your Spline pass is approved (which can take several rounds of back and forth with the Animation Supervisor/Director) you might get to move to Polish phase (depending if the Supervisor feels your shot needs it or not). This is where you can noodle your animation forever...where you add little nuances like imperfections (on purpose) to make things feel more organic. But there is a point where it has to be stopped as your shot will need to move downstream to other departments working on your shot. Hair may need to be added (Digital Groomers), clothing may need to be added, lighting...VFX...ect..and you can't be changing your shot at that point as it will affect the work of the other departments...

I hope this makes sense?

Good morning and thanks! I'm sorry if I came across as defensive or combative...I sincerely hope I didn't...I was just trying to explain my perspective but don't think I did a good job...LOL!

You didn’t come off as defensive. You did a good job explaining your perspective. I understand that Disney spends more time, money and effort on feature films than on a TV series. I just wish they put in equal effort on both. As an example Pixar’s shorts have the same quality as their features. They are just shorter. There was a point in history where Disney’s shorts were made in exactly the same way as their features. I can personally just see the difference in the new shorts not being as polished as the feature films. And how could they when the shorts don’t get the time or budget that the feature films do. Most of my issue is with the ripped off REN and STIMPY style of the new Mickey and Freinds. I hope it fails and we go back to a more traditional Mickey at some point. If I had to guess I would say more people dislike the new style than like it. Only time will tell.

Pixar does one or two shorts per year, usually showcasing new technologies. In the same style of the 3D features.

The new Mickey shorts have 20 or so new each year made for TV. They aren’t testing grounds for breakthrough 3D animation. They have an entirely different purpose. Plenty of effort is given to them. They can’t really be compared.

Both are award-winning in their respective categories.

Sorry do many of you are disappointed. We are the opposite. We had the app that used to be the only way to watch the new shorts as they came out. Now that they’ve made so many we haven’t kept up with all of them but the animation style obviously doesn’t bother us. I will admit poor Goof did get the worst representation of the bunch. Looking forward to the muckey’s Magical Mix show, even though it seems a bit on the short side.

I haven't read the whole thread, so FWIW...we saw the show on Friday the 19th (was that its first night, or second?) So not into it. The animation doesn't thrill me but that wasn't really the problem. I wasn't sure why they wanted us to feel like we're in a club or something. I guess I'm just used to ending my day with a Wishes (WDW) type fireworks show that I did not go in with the right expectations. After it was over we my husband and I looked at each other and said, "Really?" No need to see it again.

Ok to be fair I didn’t hate this. But I really hope they get rid of the grotesque REN and STIMPY content and go more in this direction style wise. Not sure they could for a lack of a better word Disney up this style enough for me to accept it. This style needs to be tweaked enough so that 90% of the people don’t think REN and STIMPY when they first look at it. The new Mickey shorts should have their own style even if it is influenced by another. If that makes sense.

Last edited:
OK, we get it. Ren and Stimpy. Ren and Stimpy. Ren and Stimpy. Ren and Stimpy. Ren and Stimpy. Ren and Stimpy. Ren and Stimpy. Ren and Stimpy.

Geez...

It's funny too because while I was never a huge fan of it, Ren & Stimpy is generally a well regarded show. It spawned such classics as "It's Log!" It's not such a horrible thing to be like.

Totally with you! The new animation is the ABSOLUTE WORST. Did they go over to Nickelodeon and steal their worst animators? IMO, Mickey and the gang look trashy.

Hey Disney!!! Save your brand. Re-do the "new" animation.

OK, we get it. Ren and Stimpy. Ren and Stimpy. Ren and Stimpy. Ren and Stimpy. Ren and Stimpy. Ren and Stimpy. Ren and Stimpy. Ren and Stimpy.

Geez...
I've never seen Ren and Stimpy, now I might go on Youtube to see some videos, to understand what people are comparing the shorts to.

For me, this is the direction I wish they would go...a great throwback while incorporating contemporary techniques. 2D or 3D, I would love to see more of this...

In fact, I think this concept would be great as a ride /attraction at the parks...like Mickey's Philharmonic...

I personally don't even like the style that the new Duck Tales went...

Last edited:
I haven't read the whole thread, so FWIW...we saw the show on Friday the 19th (was that its first night, or second?) So not into it. The animation doesn't thrill me but that wasn't really the problem. I wasn't sure why they wanted us to feel like we're in a club or something. I guess I'm just used to ending my day with a Wishes (WDW) type fireworks show that I did not go in with the right expectations. After it was over we my husband and I looked at each other and said, "Really?" No need to see it again.

It's just really bizarre not having a nighttime fireworks show that evokes some sort of emotional response. It's not that I don't think this I'll enjoy this show somewhat, but where is the pulling at the heartstrings? It just doesn't feel like Disney without the emotional response. I really hope they find a way to continue having fireworks after GE opens. Such an amazing nightly tradition that would be really sad to lose.

It's just really bizarre not having a nighttime fireworks show that evokes some sort of emotional response. It's not that I don't think this I'll enjoy this show somewhat, but where is the pulling at the heartstrings? It just doesn't feel like Disney without the emotional response. I really hope they find a way to continue having fireworks after GE opens. Such an amazing nightly tradition that would be really sad to lose.
I think you nailed what felt “off” about it. It was fine for what it was, if this is your kind of ‘thing,’ but it is not the Disney nighttime spectacular that I’ve come to expect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!