Rant Alert: So disappointed to see the "new" Mickey in Mickey's Mix Magic

I just watched some of the new shorts they came out with - including the one posted above. I get this is different from the Mickey we have seen recently but I don't think it's outside of the Mickey we should expect. The Mickey of recent days was gettin kind of boring to be honest - when if you watch the original versions Walt created, he was quite the wild and crazy guy. Those old movies would never fly by today's standards though, so I get why they had to put a different spin on things to get back that over the top feel.

017C8FA0-3600-4493-A21A-162373616BEB.jpeg Key word being evolution. Animators got better at what they did and so Mickey looked more refined and better IMO. So now we go back to the beginning? No thanks.

We watched it from the Rivers of America last night. Granted, I know this ins't the optimal viewing point. But the whole thing was just so...lame. The music was bad. The animation style was silly. The fireworks component was so amazingly tacked on that I forgot to watch them for minute at a time.

I really really disliked this show. I'm going to try to force myself to stay late enough to watch it from Main Street tomorrow, but I don't know if I'll make it .

I watched it tonight from the little eating pavilion area by it's a small world. I didn't have the best view of the projections, but I enjoyed the music and the fireworks. I thought it was a cute show. The projections I could see we're a little odd, but overall I enjoyed it. The spot we were in was a great spot to watch the fireworks.

Key word being evolution. Animators got better at what they did and so Mickey looked more refined and better IMO.
Not quite. That evolution you depicted shows how animation got better at pandering to what would market logo'ed merchandise better. And this most recent change is part of the same evolution - the difference is that the people they are pandering to has changed because that's where the easiest-to-extract disposable income is these days.

I can’t wait to see it! As far as the new animation goes, I like the new shorts, mainly because my kids like them, (age 9 and almost 2), and we watch them together. My oldest son, who outgrew Mickey Mouse Clubhouse years ago, really gets a kick out of the new shorts, and the length of each episode is perfect for my toddler’s attention span, too. He likes them even more than Roadster Racers.

Animation style aside, I think they’re a great way to familiarize younger ones with the original Disney characters in a format that also appeals to older kids in the family. From watching the shorts, my little one knows Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto by name and loves them to death. He carries the plushes and hand-puppets around, hugging them and talking to them. I’m hoping the character recognition will make our upcoming DL trip more meaningful for him. Anything that gets both of my kids equally excited about Disney gets a thumbs up from me!

I can’t wait to see it! As far as the new animation goes, I like the new shorts, mainly because my kids like them, (age 9 and almost 2), and we watch them together. My oldest son, who outgrew Mickey Mouse Clubhouse years ago, really gets a kick out of the new shorts, and the length of each episode is perfect for my toddler’s attention span, too. He likes them even more than Roadster Racers.

Animation style aside, I think they’re a great way to familiarize younger ones with the original Disney characters in a format that also appeals to older kids in the family. From watching the shorts, my little one knows Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto by name and loves them to death. He carries the plushes and hand-puppets around, hugging them and talking to them. I’m hoping the character recognition will make our upcoming DL trip more meaningful for him. Anything that gets both of my kids equally excited about Disney gets a thumbs up from me!

That's a great way of looking at it. My 11 year old definitely prefers the new style, but all of my kids refer to it as 'old timey Mickey Mouse'. They love that it seems old style to them versus the 3d polished stuff it replaces. My younger kids still enjoy watching MM Clubhouse, but if all of them are watching something together, the new stuff is a much better hit.

A previous poster said: "It's ... not at all what Walt would have accepted."

I think you took their comment too literally :yay:. They didn't mean who as in which person said it. "Who says X isn't what Y would have wanted" is intended as a rhetorical question and is being used to highlight their point that they think Walt would have wanted/supported this evolution.

I think you took their comment too literally :yay:. They didn't mean who as in which person said it. "Who says X isn't what Y would have wanted" is intended as a rhetorical question and is being used to highlight their point that they think Walt would have wanted/supported this evolution.

That is what I meant - no one can know what a dead man would think about something.

I am honestly surprised as the issues so many are having - change can be a four letter word for people though...especially as we get older.

That is what I meant - no one can know what a dead man would think about something.

I am honestly surprised as the issues so many are having - change can be a four letter word for people though...especially as we get older.

It's not change itself I have an issue with, for me, it's the quality of change. I am glad some people like it. I don't, and I'm taking comfort in the fact that I'm not alone here. I don't think that means I'm not okay with change in general.

It's not change itself I have an issue with, for me, it's the quality of change. I am glad some people like it. I don't, and I'm taking comfort in the fact that I'm not alone here. I don't think that means I'm not okay with change in general.

That makes sense. I personally like the new stuff, but I don’t think the fact that you don’t care for it means that you’re averse to change in general. This is one example of one change you didn’t like, but there have probably been many other changes that you did like. I think that’s true of all of us, in all areas of our lives: some changes we like, and others we don’t, but not liking one particular change doesn’t prove anything about one’s overall openness to change in general.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts