Rant Alert: So disappointed to see the "new" Mickey in Mickey's Mix Magic

I grew up on Ren and Stimpy. I loved that show...

... But I agree in the similarities between it and the new Mickey style and to put it simply with an appropriate reference: "No, sir, I don't like it."

It doesn't come across to me as calling back to the older animation style. To me it looks like trying to capitalize on the more raunchy style of the 90s that became a more popular internet style in the 2000s. It doesn't translate well to Disney characters and looks more like a knock off.

Not sure if I'll catch the show or not. My mom and I are planning one last trip before our passes expire. Won't be getting them back until this show is likely over. I'm just not that thrilled by style and with it being the only nighttime entertainment for who knows how long? I don't want to be anywhere near viewing locations for it even if I was interested.

Having said that, I’m on my way over, hoping my 5-year-old can hang until 9:30pm tonight so we can watch it. :rolleyes1

Oooooh! Please report back if you guys make it to watch tonight! We were thinking about heading over tomorrow to check it out, but if it’s lame we might just wait until MM on the 31st.

I read something several years ago about the plan to go to this new look. I hoped it was not true. It also talked about a major change to costumed Mickey. I think the best thing is if the new Mickey is a disappointment tell Disney. They do listen to feedback. I sure do not buy any new Merch with this stylized Mickey

You know, I wasn't crazy about the new look at first, but once I actually watched some of the shorts, I thought they were really great and endearing. Mickey was a little scamp back in the early days, so I get what they were going for. The shorts also have a lot of heart though. Watch the one called Feed the Birds - and yes, it uses the song after which it is named. It's very sweet in some ways, but also pretty funny. These shorts grew on me and I really need to watch more of them as I have only seen a handful.

Last edited:

The Mickey before this new style was as good as it could get. My guess is this new simple version is a lot easier to create. I absolutely hate it. Second rate work.

I'm a life-long Disney fan - I own and watch the Disney Treasures, with all the classic shorts. Love them.

The new shorts put me off at first - but now I'm a big fan. I watch them with my little girls all the time. They are REALLY fun, very clever, and it's great to see 2-D animation (well, a variation of it) in today's world.

If you've never seen it - try this one, inspired by Disneyland:

I read something several years ago about the plan to go to this new look. I hoped it was not true. It also talked about a major change to costumed Mickey. I think the best thing is if the new Mickey is a disappointment tell Disney. They do listen to feedback. I sure do not buy any new Merch with this stylized Mickey

Changes to the costumed Mickey? please no...:scared1: I am ok with the animation for the show being like that but if they change the costumes I am out...:charac2:

The sneak peek posted on the Disney parks Facebook page looked way better then the one OP posted. So there’s hope! I’m not a huge fan of it either.

Sadly I won’t bring seeing this one in real life, but may stay up tonight to catche a live feed from a blogger somewhere... anyone know of anyone planning one?

Not really a fan of the new animation, however this is the same Mickey that has been playing on cartoons in Mickey's House when you wait for the M&G. So it doesn't surprise me that they are using that. I think it would have been nice if they had showed Mickey through the ages. He's changed a lot.

We lasted long enough to see it! It was pretty fun but short. At least where we were, there wasn’t as much Mickey as I was expecting; it’s a mixture of songs) (including, of course, “Let It Go”), and there’s a lot more lights/patterns/colors happening than anything. I’ll post a review in another thread, but I wouldn’t let the Mickey animation style in particular dissuade anyone from seeing it.

We lasted long enough to see it! It was pretty fun but short. At least where we were, there wasn’t as much Mickey as I was expecting; it’s a mixture of songs) (including, of course, “Let It Go”), and there’s a lot more lights/patterns/colors happening than anything. I’ll post a review in another thread, but I wouldn’t let the Mickey animation style in particular dissuade anyone from seeing it.

I watched a video.. It looked fun but I really don’t understand the mash of characters and songs? I dunno. I felt that had a chance to do something really awesome and a tribute Mickey..

I watched a video.. It looked fun but I really don’t understand the mash of characters and songs? I dunno. I felt that had a chance to do something really awesome and a tribute Mickey..

I completely agree! I watched it on Youtube and it was not at all the direction that the promo video was (far less Mickey). I liked it MUCH better than the promo video especially the COCO part. We will see it when we go and I will even be ok if there isnt fireworks.

As an aside, I wonder/does anyone know when they make these demo vids. If it/they isn’t/aren’t computer-generated, then it must be done late at night when the park is empty. That seems to me to be too late to display fireworks for the surrounding neighborhood. Anyone? Just curious.
Over Christmas/NY, they were testing it between midnight and 3am. We could see it from the hotel room.

Coming back to say I watched another video this morning that was on Main Street and not in from of small world. I think it looked better from Main Street in the video. I still don’t get the mash up of songs/characters... but it looks like fun. And it looked like in the video during the “let it go” segment that it “snowed” on Main Street. I’m sure once in the park with all the energy and fun of that environment the show is really fun!

totally agree!!! Really hate this Mickey style! And haven't purchased any of the 90th B-day that looks like it! You are right on point with the Ren and Stimpy comparison!!
And for Goofy.... he's downright ugly!
I am eager to see the entire show, but may have to close my eyes when Mickey and Goofy show up!!!

The Haunted Mansion part looks good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!