RANKING the DESSERT PARTIES AND MORE !!!!

Erik the Red

Mouseketeer
Hello all !!

I've never been to Disney before and trip planning is very over-whelming for a first-timer. It's definitely a tough balancing act .

I normally hate paying extra for something I can do for free, BUT i'm also a believer in having the best time I can for something I have dreamed about doing my entire life. And may only do once in my life. Time vs money.

That being said, I can`t afford to do them all.

So I was hoping people could rank or score or recommend the following extras I`m looking at doing.... I know it`s subjective, but based on your experience.

A) Frozen Ever After Dessert Party
B) HEA Dessert Party - Garden View
C) Star Wars Dessert Party
D) Rivers of Light Dining Package
E) Disney Festival Parade Dining Package
F) Early Morning Magic
G) Halloween Fireworks Dessert Party
H) Fantasmic Dining Package

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

Here is my two cents:

1-Frozen dessert party. I love the seating, the open bar and the savory items.
2-Halloween fireworks party. Love Hallowishes, the party is good and a great spot for the fireworks is really important to us. DH really does not like MK crowds for parades and fireworks, this allows him to go and have a seat.
3-ROL. We love Tiffins and adding the reserved area for ROL is great for us. We like ROL, I think it's great.
4- Starwars dessert party. We have done this a couple times. Once when it was outside, it was so hot. No seats and way too hot!! Then once when it was inside. There are still no seats, but we just plopped on the ground. DH is a big star wars fan, I am ok. It's a great show, but I like reserved seating the best.

Never done the Fantasmic package, I do not care for Fantasmic.
No on Early morning magic, not interest here.
HEA- we try and see HEA outside the park as much as possible. DH does not like crowds and we like reserved seats.
Festival parade- we are never in the park at 3PM. We are always back at the resort to take a break.

We have done the F! dining package, and enjoyed Mama Melrose's tremendously. The saltimbocca was probably the best meal I have EVER had.
It was nice not to have to wait so long for a F! seat too.
We are trying the SWGDP later this month for the first time and are really looking forward to it. My son especially is a big SW fan so I definitely wanted to try that one. And as there are SW themed mixed drinks at the party, I think it will be a lot of fun (even though I don't drink very often I think a SW themed adult beverage will hit the spot).
If seeing the other shows are important to you, just pick which is most important and plan on seeing the others in the future.
There is a great SWGDP thread you can look at, and the other parties also have threads with good information.
Have fun!

Happy planning!

A) Frozen Ever After Dessert Party - doing this nxt week for the first time - there is a very helpful thread with loads of great info! We are surprising DD princess: and can't wait till she realizes we are doing this...lol

B) HEA Dessert Party - Garden View - did this last summer & the view from the Garden was wonderful, did not have to wait on Main Street for a good spot with a thousand of your closest friends...the desserts were good, DD(11) liked the sparkling apple cider & the decorate your own cookie. The show with the projections on the castle is amazing.

C) Star Wars Dessert Party - did this several times (both when the party took place outside & now inside), DD & I love Star Wars! The desserts were great, the drinks were good & they have FROZEN NUTELLA (need I say more...lol) Personally, we love this show! There is a very helpful thread with loads of info and wonderful people who answer questions you might have.

D) Rivers of Light Dining Package - last year we did this at Tusker House for lunch, seating area was great, but show was just ok. Skipping the show this year.

E) Disney Festival Parade Dining Package - sorry, never did this
F) Early Morning Magic - sorry, never did this
G) Halloween Fireworks Dessert Party - sorry, never did this

H) Fantasmic Dining Package - in past we ate at Mama Melrose for the package & food had been good...until last year when we felt the food & service was not good at all. This year we booked Hollywood & Vine for bkfst as the package. The seats are very good, and not having to wait in line is a plus.

As the PP said, there are several threads regarding the different dessert parties/packages. I would suggest picking which show is on the top of your to do list and read thru some of the threads (most also have reviews). Hope this helps! Enjoy your first trip!!! pixiedust:

I would say HEA is the most worth it for me. Not having to jockey for a good FW spot is wonderful. Will be doing it every year from now on. Also did the Tonys parade package this last trip, which I was reluctant to do based on Tonys mediocre food, but the food ended up ok and the parade views were amazing! We sat by the flagpole in Main Street. IMO, both packages are worth every penny. Unless you’re a huge Frozen fan, I’d skip that package, good Illuminations spots aren’t hard to find. As for Fantasmic package, go for it if you’re gonna eat there anyway, but we always use FPs for that show.

We've done all of the main dessert parties and a couple of the dinner packages. My favorites are:

1) Frozen Ever After party - the cast members, the outdoor seating (changes to indoor seating in the event of bad weather), the view, the food, the drinks, and the ride after the show all work together to place this in the number 1 spot for me. I would do this again in a heartbeat and am hoping it's still going on in December. I have nothing negative to say about our experience with this.

2) Star Wars party - we've done this twice and love it, too. I placed it second on my list because we experienced this event without seats (we stood at high top tables to eat) and because you move away from the party venue to view the show. Now this party has seating during the eat/drink portion and an enhanced menu (we thought the previous menu was excellent but it's now supposed to be even better) plus an included meet and greet, so it might rival FEA party for the number 1 spot if we do it again.

3) HEA dessert party plaza garden viewing - I rank this as #3 only because of the view for the fireworks show. That aspect was worth it to us. The view was incredible and the personal space around us was so nice. The desserts were meh, and the vibe of the party was not anything close to FEA or SW. If I were to rank this only on food and drinks, it would be in last place. Recent menu changes have hopefully raised this up a notch, though. It definitely needed something!

4) ROL dining package - we ate at Tusker House for late breakfast/early lunch. The food was great, and the characters were wonderful. Our seating for the show was fine. It was nice to be able to just walk up and get a seat. The show itself is not my favorite, but it's pretty.

5) Fantasmic dining package - we ate at Mama Melrose. This was a few years ago when appetizers were still part of the package, and we were using a dining plan credit. It was a decent deal when they were included. We gave our tickets away when we booked this package, so I cannot comment on the show. We opted for SW over Fantasmic. We do like Mama Melrose quite a bit, and would go there just for the food. My husband loves their steak.

Hope you have a great trip! Happy planning!

You’ll probably get as many different answers to your question as the options you’ve provided. Maybe even more. As others have pointed out, it depends on what’s important to you and what you value most.

You’ve already realized an important fact about all of these extras - which is that what they offer mostly can be done for free, just for more time and effort. The extras like these generally charge a premium for the cost of convenience or exclusivity. They mostly save you time and/or provide a more relaxed experience by limiting participants/access. As a result, it’s hard to give an objective answer to your question because the value of the extra depends on how much you value the underlying experience (whether it’s a ride, attraction or show).

For me, I put the dessert parties (HEA, SW and Frozen - in that order) at the top as I don’t really like staking out spots for the nighttime shows, which I prefer to the other entertainment. I’d probably put EMM next as it can clear out two of the rides with long lines at MK and help with ride strategy there. I’d put the dining packages last - as the preferred seating at RoL, F!, and the parade aren’t high on my list (and the first two are easy same-day FPs even if that seating isn’t quite as good). I don’t include the MNSSHP dessert party since I wouldn’t take party time away for it and haven’t had an issue finding decent spots.

To further complicate your planning, however, I might recommend looking at the tours. Many are in the same price range (or even much less) as the extras and can give you an experience you otherwise can’t get for free.

In the dessert party category, IMO, the outdoor version of the FEA party is the most enjoyable followed by the SW dessert party. All bets are off if the OP is visiting during the holiday season. The JBJB dessert party moves to #1.

Full disclosure, I may be just a little bit biased.

Every time we go to Disney we add a new experience to the mix for my family. For example, this year we will be trying out Disney After Hours. Here is a little review of our experiences. Hope it helps!

A) Frozen Ever After Dessert Party- This is our favorite dessert party. They have an open bar with specialty cocktails and a good balance of sweet and savory. The fondue is amazing!! When I went they provided these nice glasses that made the fireworks a little special!

B) HEA Dessert Party - Garden View- I love happily ever after. However, the Magic Kingdom dessert parties are my least favorite. I do not like having to walk against the crowd to get to my spot. As much as they try to keep a line, I always end up running into someone angry. The food at HEA is not great and very generic compared to the Frozen and Star Wars. The macaroons are delicious!

C) Star Wars Dessert Party- I love the Star Wars Dessert Party! It is my second fireworks dessert party. I love the specialty cocktails and the specialty desserts. I am not a big star wars person but I really enjoyed this party. I also appreciate that you eat the dessert in the AC just wish there were chairs to sit in.

D) Rivers of Light Dining Package- I have not done this yet! I actually still have not seen rivers of light

E) Disney Festival Parade Dining Package- I have not tried this. We are usually back in the hotel around this time.

F) Early Morning Magic- We enjoyed this. The only rides we really cared for were Mine Train and Peter Pan. However, we still thought we got our money worth. The breakfast is very good.

G) Halloween Fireworks Dessert Party- I like the specialty desserts and the souvenir you get to take with you when you attend the Halloween Dessert Party. They have desserts similar to the ones you would have at HEA, just with a Halloween twist.

H) Fantasmic Dining Package- I have not done this in years. So I have no idea how the Fantasmic Dining VIP desserts is affecting the seating. I will be trying the VIP dessert experience this trip...

I know you will enjoy anything you decide to select!! Hope I helped a little!

A) Frozen Ever After Dessert Party - a nice break, good to sit and get to ride FEA afterwards. Is it necessary to see Illumination - probably not
B) HEA Dessert Party - Garden View - they have the before and after party here. I plan to do after party so can have more park time and avoid crowds as they leave MK and maybe even see the Kiss Goodnite. Is it necessary to see HEA - This one I would say is the most important for actually seeing the projections on castle so I would definitely recommend this one
C) Star Wars Dessert Party - This one is not interesting for me so I haven't done it
D) Rivers of Light Dining Package - Do not need a package to see RoL. Can get as a 4th FP or even standby. Would not recommend
E) Disney Festival Parade Dining Package - I don't think this is necessary either and Tony's isn't that great
F) Early Morning Magic - have not done but would consider it if it were offered when I was there
G) Halloween Fireworks Dessert Party - since this does not have parade viewing, I would not do it. The castle projections are nothing that have to be seen and you can see the fireworks from fantasyland if you don't want to be in the hub. I don't think the hub is as bad for this as it is for HEA
H) Fantasmic Dining Package - There is plenty of seating in the Fantasmic theater to see the show so its not necessary

I know that they don't do the Frozen Dessert Party every night, but is there any where I can find out what Feb scheduling has been in the past, or will likely be next year? Hard to plan if they only do it certain days of the week.

Thanks!

I know that they don't do the Frozen Dessert Party every night, but is there any where I can find out what Feb scheduling has been in the past, or will likely be next year? Hard to plan if they only do it certain days of the week. Thanks!
The FEA party began last July, so we only have this past Feb to go by. But what they did then will have no bearing on what happens in the future as the days that it takes place is somewhat dependent on what other special or private events are taking place that may need the FEA party venue. Except for one time, parties do not take place on EMH nights, which currently is Tues. Parties take place usually 5 or 6 nights a week.

Thanks, Fastpasser... Of course Tues is the night we were tentatively planning to be there! HA HA :teeth::teeth:

In the dessert party category, IMO, the outdoor version of the FEA party is the most enjoyable followed by the SW dessert party. All bets are off if the OP is visiting during the holiday season. The JBJB dessert party moves to #1.

Full disclosure, I may be just a little bit biased.
we are going in early December so can't do the SW party :(

I’ve only done HEA dessert party but I would pay for that every single time. The garden view is spectacular and even when getting to the garden fairly late, there’s still room for everyone. And the food is delicious. Can’t wait to go again in 2 weeks and try the new savory options they have.

I personally haven’t been to the Fantasmic party but I love that show so much and my boyfriend’s family gave it rave reviews.

We've done the first four on your list. This is our order:

1. HEA @ Tomorrowland Terrace. We did this rather than the Garden View since SEATS were important to us. We had the best time! Since we were able to stay for the dessert party and the HEA show, we had a lot more time to enjoy the desserts. We didn't feel rushed at all. Yes, the castle view was a bit obstructed, but we felt like VIP's the way the CM's treated everyone at the Terrace. And Tinkerbell flew right over our heads!
2. Frozen Party. Again, we had SEATS, which were important to us. We had a very enjoyable evening. Walking onto the Frozen ride after park close was awesome!
3. Star Wars Party. No seats for the desserts or the show. The dessert area was very crowded. We had a great view of the show. We thought HEA is a much better show.
4. Rivers of Light Dining Package. We ate at Tusker House, which is a favorite of ours. You do get to sit for the show. ROL was good, but the other three evening shows we enjoyed a lot more.

Something that's not on your list: Disney After Hours. This was our most favorite hard ticket evening event. Very low crowds so you can ride your favorite rides at MK multiple times if you wish. Free ice cream bars, popcorn, sodas and water bottles. This is only offered during select times throughout the year.

We had a terrible experience with EMM. 2/3 rides were down the whole time and while Disney compensated by having our bands work as fastpasses for the 3 rides until noon it messed up our whole touring planand was a waste of a morning.

A) Frozen Ever After Dessert Party - I have not done this one yet, but I have ready tons of great reviews on this one and have it booked for my upcoming trip.

B) HEA Dessert Party - Garden View - I have only done terrace view (multiple time), so my comments are for the dessert portion only, which I have always enjoyed. I personally prefer the terrace view because of the seating, but the view itself from the garden is better.

C) Star Wars Dessert Party - Love it! The food offering at this one is fantastic. My only criticism is no seating, which I find pretty tiring at the end of a long day.

D) Rivers of Light Dining Package - If you plan on TS in AK anway, then this is a really good option. I did this when ROL was first out and I just didn't want to the hassle of showing up really early for the show. I was able to show up 10 minutes prior and got a great seat in an otherwise filled up seating area.

E) Disney Festival Parade Dining Package - I have not tried this one yet, but I'm all for anything that keeps me from having to save a spot super early for any show.

F) Early Morning Magic - Absolutely amazing! I have done this 3 times and doing it 2 more times on my upcoming trip. My DS and I love 7DMT and being able to ride it 10 times in under an hour is a highlight for us. The breakfast buffet is nothing fancy, but it's good and not crowded at all so the eating time is minimal, which means more park time.

G) Halloween Fireworks Dessert Party - Similar experience to HEA, but with some added specialty Halloween items. We always book this during on of our MNSSHP nights.

H) Fantasmic Dining Package - Ditto to ROL. If you are wanting TS anyway, then adding on the show seating is a no brainer, IMO. This year we are trying the Fantasmic dessert package, which gets the same reserved viewing as the dining package, plus a to-go type container of desserts to enjoy during the show. If you don't want to do a TS meal, then the dessert package could be a good option.

A) Frozen Ever After Dessert Party
B) HEA Dessert Party - Garden View
C) Star Wars Dessert Party
D) Rivers of Light Dining Package
E) Disney Festival Parade Dining Package
F) Early Morning Magic
G) Halloween Fireworks Dessert Party
H) Fantasmic Dining Package

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

First, let me just say that with a bit of planning to know what to expect from each offering, you will have a BLAST!

So let's see... we have done ALL of these EXCEPT E (because we aren't big parade people and don't want to eat at Tony's ever again).

Rank ordering by our preference as a family -- DH, myself, DD going since she was 9mos. old now 11yrs, DS going since he was 15mos old now 13yrs:
  1. F) LOVE, LOVE, LOVE EMM. Tasty breakfast + your fill of 7DMT, Pan and Pooh + saving FPs for other rides. Easy thumbs up IMO.
  2. G) then B) While they've changed the MK dessert party in ways I don't love, it is still a better way to see the fireworks than waiting around for ages and packing in like sardines. I rate G higher than B because Halloween fireworks are SPECTACULAR -- our favorite of all. We like Garden View better than Terrace to be able to see projections.
  3. A) We aren't the biggest fans of Illuminations, but this dessert party is 1) the best way to see it by far, and 2) the best dessert party IMO. Reserved tables, SEATING, plenty of room and varied menu of sweet and savory. Thumbs up.
  4. H) I place this next only because you've never been before. We are not HUGE F! lovers, but it is a good show to see at least once, and reserved seating is the way to go IMO.
  5. C) We really enjoy the SW fireworks, but are NOT fans of this dessert party. We find it way too crowded inside and the viewing area is way too close and obscures a lot of the fireworks part of the show. BUT -- If you're SW fans, and/or someone who's never been, it can be worth doing once. ETA: I understand that they've added seating for the dessert party portion (NOT the viewing), which is an improvement, but I believe the viewing area is the same -- so same verdict for our family. :)
  6. D) This is dead last of the ones we've done because 1) RoL just isn't that great IMO, but mostly because 2) you don't really need a reserved spot to see this show.
  7. E) Because I will never eat at Tony's again. Just yuck.

HAVE FUN!!! :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter