Ralph Lauren paint products??

mamajoan

<font color=red>gotta hobble ....silly goose!.
ah more decorating ??

Has anyone used Ralph Lauren paint products? Did you feel that they were worth the extra cost? Did they wear well? As far as application of the River Rock or Suede.. was it easy to put on the walls? any suggestions or advice deeply appreciated.

I am thinking about using the River Rock in Grand Teton or Suede in Cheyenne Rock..both similar in a deep terracotta color.

Thanks guys!

I havent done it myself but Ive heard good things about it.

The only thing is there are a lot of steps to it.

My friend wants to do the leather look in her room and I think it would be really cool but I would think there has to be an easier way! :)

Good luck and let us know how it goes!! ( then maybe Ill get brave enough to try it ;) )

My den is painted with RL Suede and I love it! It is not kid proof so fingerprints can be a problem. But it does make a pretty finish.
Once you get the criss cross pattern down it flows pretty easy.

melissa

We used the suede for a room in our last house. I loved it . It was a moss green color, very pretty. But my DH said never again. It took extra long to paint the room and he says it was too expensive. But I thought it looked great. Needless to say, all of our walls are still white in this new house.

I love Ralph Lauren paint. I think it is worth the extra cost. That being said, we painted our master bathroom using River Rock and I personally would advise against it. The reason being that if we ever want to repaint the bathroom, we will have to sand it because of the texture of the River Rock.

A friend of mine did the suede in the living room (just one wall, a dark forest green) and it looks awesome!!!

Have fun making your decision!!

Krista

I've bought RL paint several years ago but I didn't do any special paint texturing with it. It was for a small bathroom and I just loved the color. I do love RL's colors and the different styles. I'm really looking for something that will cover-up some small dents from hammering some popped drywall nails. The river rock sounds promising.

I used Ralph Lauren paint in my kitchen - a lovely robins egg blue - and have been so pleased with it. DH had a fit because the paint was more $$ than other brand name paint, but I wanted to give it a try. He is now pleased we used this paint, its held up really well and is very rich in color.

We very recently painted our bedroom using RL paint. We are doing major renovations and remodeling to our home so DH refused to use the textured paint, however, because there were soooo many other projects to accomplish. We chose a patriot blue (very dark and rich) and it did require a special colored primer, but it looks awesome! I love waking up in my new room. I found it was worth the extra $ and would really love to try the textured paints. Good luck!

I am very opinionated about paint. :rolleyes: OK, so I'm a paint snob.

I have used RL paint and it does go on nicely. BUT!!! For the money.. it is made by Sherwin Williams. Go there and by paint if you want the same stuff cheaper. Now, for the textured stuff, like the suede, crackle, and river rock, it's great stuff. I've never seen these textures in other paints.

Most of the professional painters that I know use M*A*B brand paint. I have used it, and it is wonderful. Benjamin Moore makes good paint and Pratt & Lambert is great paint, too. They are thick and creamy and coat very nicely.

FWIW, the paints that I wouldn't buy if you paid for it are Behr, Laura Ashley, and Dutch Boy. Blech, Blech, Blech, IMO. Runny, drippy, thin, and definitely needs multiple coats.

For a good CHEAP paint, I don't mind One and Only brand (Lowes' brand.)

Off my painting soapbox now.;)

RUDisney, since you're such a paint snob;) , do you know if any of the paints you mentioned will cover with one coat? We've been doing a LOT of painting and so far, everything has required two coats, even if it is covering white or very light colored walls. What do you recommend? We've tried a few different kinds but I've never heard of MAB brand. Where can I find it?

TMF, one-coat coverage also depends on the color that the wall starts with and what your end result will be. Certainly, painting white over a dark wall will require two coats, just because of the contrast. The same is true of painting dark over white, but not as much, only when it is really dark over white.

Some things to remember, and I am guilty of this sometimes... don't try to stretch your paint on the roller too much. You don't want drip marks, but you also don't want white dots under your colored paint from lack of coverage.

I've been very lucky with Pratt & Lambert and Benjamin Moore paint. Painted on "thick" enough, they both usually cover in one coat. MAB sometimes needs a second coat, sometimes doesn't. Sometimes, you can get away with just a touch up second coat. MAB has its own stores that it sells from. They sell different grades of paint, so remember, you get what you pay for.

I went to www.mabpaints.com to search for a dealer near you, and they don't have any stores in CT. As a substitute for MAB, you can "ask Sherwin Williams." They make good paint. I like the RL paint, but, like I said, it's made by SW, but more expensive for the designer name. They'd be able to tell you in the store what is comparable to RL, and what may be even better. Information on Sherwin Williams is at www.sherwin-williams.com .

Happy painting! If you need advice on painting techniques and how to easily do them, just PM me.

THANK YOU so very much for all of your responses!!! :) :) :)

I was worried about the grit in the river rock.. you know I am always thinking ahead to the Next project....

I can not stand long enough to paint so my dh will be doing all the painting... he is a good guy!

and I think it is really ok that you are a paint snob RU!! LOL

so anybody up for a paint party at Mamajoan's?? ;) ;)

I promise Pizza and soda and Lots of beer for all takers! LOL

I agree 100% with RUDisney. For textured paint, go with the Ralph Lauren. For regular paint, Benjamin Moore and American Traditions are great. We painted our family a deep sage green over ivory and it didn't even need a second coat. We used Benjamin Moore and it still looks great 3 years later.

And Joan, I would help you in a heartbeat if I lived closer :D

I shall have a cyber paint party Jill.. you guys have been so kind to me here on the dis..
I live so darn far from most of you..

Quick ? RU can you do suede techniques without the suede paint? or will it not EVEN look right?

I am a paint weenie .. I think we lived in military housing for o long that I am really scared....

Thanks so much!

The one painting technique that I've never done is suede, but I've seen it after it has been done. I did a quick lycos search and came up with this site. http://www.generalpaint.com/suede.html Evidently, you don't need the RL paint to accomplish a similar look, but I'm not sure about how the finish will feel. I know with the RL paint, the wall really feels like it is soft leather.

I'd love to come to paint. Where is Hollister, CA? Is it warm there? I'm so sick of the cold and snow! I'll bring the beer. It'll be Yeungling Lager. You can only buy it on the east coast. It's brewed in Pottsville, PA and in FL, but primarily distributed in the NE. One sip and you'll be hooked.;)

Today the sun is shining brightly, it is around 72* but the rains are coming tomorrow. They won't last long as they are the end of the winter rainy season. I was hoping for more rain tho..
Today my dh and a friend are planting roses, and doing lots of landscaping projects. They are putting up a new arbor, moving the hibiscus busches and trimming some of the other plants.

Oh they would be soooo happy if you brought them that lager!!!

This wkd landscaping~next wkd they are cleaning the carpets.. then the final wkd in March they will finish painting some walls.

Hopefully by April we shall be doing some fun family outings!
Thanks for the link! I shall check it out...

I'm so jealous! 72 degrees! It's 35 here today, and everyone is happy about that.

As for landscaping, we still have the decrative, light-up tree in our front yard from Christmas. Since it snowed over a foot on Christmas day, it has been frozen to our lawn. It's supposed to get warmer this week, so maybe by next weekend we can put it away.:bounce: :Pinkbounc

my boss attempted to use the River Rock paint on her family room walls that were still in their "new home finish". She picked a red tone and after the third coat returned the unused cans. The coverage was poor and she had to work in very small sections. There was still a problem with overlap. She took a color swatch and got the same color in another brand, I assume regular latex, as I haven't seen the finished result.

She had heard of others who also dislike the Ralph Lauren paints.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter