Rainforest Cafe Potentially returning to DTD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mummabear

DIS Veteran
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/...ts-to-reopen-at-downtown-disney-company-says/

Orange County Register
☰ Menu

Rainforest Cafe wants to reopen at Downtown Disney, company says
OCR-L-DIS-DOWNTOWN_043.jpg

The now closed Rainforest Cafe at the west end of The Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort. The parent company of the themed restaurant says it would like to reopen the location after a luxury hotel project proposed for the site was canceled. (Photo by Jeff Gritchen, Orange County Register/SCNG)

The parent company of the Rainforest Cafe that closed in June at Downtown Disney in Anaheim wants to reopen the jungle-themed restaurant at the Disneyland shopping district, officials said.

“Disney knows of our interest in reopening Rainforest Cafe in Anaheim,” said Keith Beitler, Landry’s senior vice president and chief operating officer of specialty restaurant and amusement divisions, in a prepared statement sent via email. “We are hopeful they will consider Landry’s for any future site plans.”

Disney officials said they are looking at a variety of options for Downtown Disney and can’t comment on discussions with tenants. Last week Disney officials said no conversations were taking place with the Rainforest Cafe about returning to Downtown Disney.

Landry’s operates more than 60 restaurant concepts, including the T-Rex Cafe at the Disney Springs shopping district and the Yak & Yeti quick-service eatery at Disney’s Animal Kingdom at the Walt Disney World resort in Florida.

The Rainforest Cafe, AMC Theatres, ESPN Zone, Earl of Sandwich and one of two Starbucks locations at Downtown Disney closed to make room for a 700-room Disney hotel that has since been canceled.

ESPN Zone, which closed at Downtown Disney in June, is jointly-owned by Disney’s ABC Television and the Hearst Corporation. Disney officials said last week that there are no conversations taking place about the ESPN Zone about returning to Downtown Disney.

AMC Theatres announced plans in March to relocate from Downtown Disney to the Anaheim GardenWalk shopping center located across Harbor Boulevard from Disneyland.

A GardenWalk representative said a published report stating that the AMC theater project had been canceled was “erroneous.” The grand opening of the new AMC location is scheduled for early 2019, the GardenWalk representative said. AMC did not respond to a request for comment.

Starbucks, which had two locations at Downtown Disney, has no plans to reopen the coffee shop it closed at the west end of the shopping district, company officials said.

‘Madness’: 1,000 Disney fans wait hours to snap up coveted Hatbox Ghost tiki mug
“At this time, we remain focused on serving customers in Anaheim at our existing stores and have no store-opening plans to announce,” said a Starbucks spokesperson in a prepared statement sent via email.

The Starbucks next to the World of Disney store remains open.

Earl of Sandwich reopened at its former Downtown Disney location on Oct. 1 to the delight of die-hard fans of the sandwich shop.

Disney pulled the plug on the planned 2021 Downtown Disney hotel after Anaheim eliminated a tax rebate agreement worth $267 million to the company. Hotel construction originally had been set to begin in July.

What’s next for Downtown Disney, now that the hotel project is on hold?
Orange County Register

I love the building and the site, but wouldn't mind if they left out the vines and animals. The waterfall is neat and so is the theme (Mayan?), but I'm not a big fan of the animatronics and noise. I'd love to see them use the balconies again.

I've never been to any of the Disney Rainforest Cafes, but I have been to the one that used to be in Burlington MA (as was shown in Paul Blart: Mall Cop). I personally didn't find the food to that good. But I do see the appeal though, especially in a vacation setting. Their theming is great, and the DTD one did look great on the outside.

I've never been to any of the Disney Rainforest Cafes, but I have been to the one that used to be in Burlington MA (as was shown in Paul Blart: Mall Cop). I personally didn't find the food to that good. But I do see the appeal though, especially in a vacation setting. Their theming is great, and the DTD one did look great on the outside.
I agree. We had one here in SF and took DD for her Bday once and went there maybe one other time. The atmosphere is good but the food is ok. I would rather go to a character dinner than RFC. I actually hope they find other restaurants to put in place of RFC.

I would love to see RFC return. Yeah, the food was nothing to write home about, but it was so fun to go there (and I say this as someone who has a Rainforest Cafe not even five miles from my house - I've never been there).

I agree. We had one here in SF and took DD for her Bday once and went there maybe one other time. The atmosphere is good but the food is ok. I would rather go to a character dinner than RFC. I actually hope they find other restaurants to put in place of RFC.
All that being said, the next time that I go to WDW, I do need to check out T-Rex Café. Regardless of the food quality, my youngest loves dinosaurs.

All that being said, the next time that I go to WDW, I do need to check out T-Rex Café. Regardless of the food quality, my youngest loves dinosaurs.
T-Rex Cafe is AWESOME! I’d love it if they brought that to DTD. I only ate there once but I found the food better than Rainforest even though it’s the same company. Maybe it was just what I ordered.

While I find the atmosphere of the restaurant absolutely awesome, it doesn't make up for the bad food they serve, especially for the prices. I'd rather they put in a different dining location that can serve much better food even if it can potentially be more expensive. Never had a good experience there.

I'm definitely in the minority but I would like to see something new open in that space like how they are brining in smaller chains for the chains they are bringing in or to see Patina group open up additional options like having Morimoto Asia come to DLR.

I'm definitely in the minority but I would like to see something new open in that space like how they are brining in smaller chains for the chains they are bringing in or to see Patina group open up additional options like having Morimoto Asia come to DLR.

Morimoto is really nice, but not at all in the same demographic. I think Disney in recent years has moved to a lot of more high end adult orientated dining, which for someone with three young kids is frustrating.
With the closure of Ariels, the only character non breakfast meal is Goofys and we had such a shockingly bad experience ther DH will never set foot in it again. And with Rainforest Cafe gone at downtown Disney, there is nothing else dining wise special for kids there either.

the only character non breakfast meal is Goofys and we had such a shockingly bad experience ther DH will never set foot in it again

Care to elaborate?

The thing about a place like Rainforest Cafe is that children don't care if the food is garbage but children aren't paying the tab. It's easier to get adults to pay too much for good food than to pay too much for terrible food. (Rainforest Cafe comes with an extra bonus of screeching hypocrisy, but I doubt many people make dining decisions based on that.)

Adults tolerate the character meals because kids love them, but for your average adult the only thing worse than having Donald Duck interrupt your meal is having Donald Duck interrupt a meal you don't even want to eat. There is no reason that Disney or Rainforest Cafe cannot offer decent food along with the atmosphere, but as long as they refuse, the "fancy" restaurants at DTD will get more and more business.

Care to elaborate?

The thing about a place like Rainforest Cafe is that children don't care if the food is garbage but children aren't paying the tab. It's easier to get adults to pay too much for good food than to pay too much for terrible food. (Rainforest Cafe comes with an extra bonus of screeching hypocrisy, but I doubt many people make dining decisions based on that.)

Adults tolerate the character meals because kids love them, but for your average adult the only thing worse than having Donald Duck interrupt your meal is having Donald Duck interrupt a meal you don't even want to eat. There is no reason that Disney or Rainforest Cafe cannot offer decent food along with the atmosphere, but as long as they refuse, the "fancy" restaurants at DTD will get more and more business.

As a mom with a young child I chose to dine at Rainforest multiple times because it’s very child friendly. I will pay an upcharge on food for an atmosphere that keeps my kid entertained and happy (which means I get to actually sit and eat my food, ha ha).

I actually had good experiences eating off the appetizer menu. Their chicken quesadilla was inexpensive, very tastey and huge... I could actually share it with my son. We both had lunch for under $15... and he was thrilled with the animals, fish, etc.

We have also eaten at Catal and although the food is much better, he was bored so we had to rush through the meal and I spent more time entertaining him then enjoying my meal.

It was nice to have one truly kid-friendly option for dining in DTD and it was always packed so I don’t think they were hurting for business.

Does anybody here remember the Monorail Cafe? it was a 50's style Diner, at the Disneyland Hotel before the big re-do..
http://magicalhotel.blogspot.com/2008/05/monorail-cafe.html

Anyway, I Would like to see this type of restaurant go in. One that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner... great desserts. One that is kid friendly, and wont break the budget. Very few choices like this at any of the Disney Hotels, and its needed. Storytellers has gone to a Buffett only menu.. and my last 2 visits there were bad, really bad. Service and food!

Just an idea... but I would love to see something along these lines,, and thats fun too.

--Lori

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter