Rainforest AK, Boathouse, Boma, Ray's and Mara - Reviews for 5/3 and 5/4 - completed 5/9

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
Hi all...

DH surprised me with a weekend getaway for our anniversary... We stay at AKL... I did a review over on the Resort board.. so if you would like to check it out... so I thought that I would review our dinning separately...

Rainforest at AK - early lunch around 11:30 - Its been a while since we have eaten here at the AK restaurant.. It wasn't crazy busy yet... we were starving.... we had only grabbed a snack at home on the way over to the resort... DH - went with the BBQ bacon Cheeseburger and fries (18.99), it was a huge burger and our server asked how he would like it cooked and it was delivered the way he wanted it as well there were a ton of fries... he was happy with every bite ~ Me - I decided on the Jungle turkey wrap, and side of coleslaw ( 16.99).... I did skip the caesar dressing, and asked for a side of ranch, the wrap was packed with deli style turkey, and the bacon was crispy which is very important when eating a wrap or sandwich ... and it was served cold which was good for me I just wanted something lighter to eat... the coleslaw was another good choice for me... I did swipe a few of DH's fries they were very tasty as well, and not greasy at all.... I will say that the wrap might be a shareable option if you are not super hungry and go with the fries as a filler upper... or if you have an appetizer or are planning on dessert...Our server brought us out 2 cupcakes, and had the other servers sing to us... we were sorta shocked and a bit embarrassed only for a moment though, then we were all smiles it was a very thoughtful thing for her to do... and she was on point and kept our drinks full, including the water... Overall a wonderful lunch... and will go back...

Boathouse Disney Springs for Anniversary dinner... 8:00 pm reservation... We did arrive a bit early... around 7:40 and had planned to sit at the bar for a drink... and we were surprised when they said we have a table ready now, inside and at the windows... so I think that was a bit of pixie dust for sure.... It was a amazing table... we were seated at a corner window table with a wonderful view of the sun setting... perfect for a anniversary dinner... We began with a drink... DH went with a beer, and for me a glass of Sauvignon Blanc which is wonderful... it was light, and sweet with just a bit of tartness that I love... We decided on the house oysters... (22.00 for half dozen) they were so good... I honestly can recommend them... For dinner DH went with the Filet 12 oz (49.50) it was cooked perfectly and I did get a bite... very good... For me I already knew what I was going to get... Jumbo Lump Crab Cake... (25.00) It was so good and is my favorite thing to order when we have dinner here... It is a very sizable crab cake... with just enough breading to keep it together... it was accompanied with coleslaw... the crab cake was cooked perfectly as well... we love the truffle fries so we did order them, they are for sharing... they are so dang good.... We decide on blueberry cheese cake for dessert to share... then the waiter from the next section came over and asked if we would like some baked Alaska... the table across (party of 7) from us had order it and had more than enough and said that they would like to share it with us for our anniversary... We were stunned... of course we accepted... the waiter cut our piece's and brought it over to us, we were a couple bites into it...when the cheese cake arrived... I will say that we enjoyed both...very well done.... We both thanked the family several times... it was such a kindness and so thoughtful for a family to do for complete strangers... Our service was amazing and our server was on point the whole meal... This is our favorite spot... so we will be back soon...

OP here... I will try to finish up the rest either later today... or first thing tomorrow... I have to go make 100 meatballs for a get together...

Your anniversary dinner at Boathouse sounds amazing!! How kind of that family. A surprise getaway to Disney sounds amazing... think your husband is a keeper! :goodvibes

What a lovely anniversary dinner! Thanks for sharing your review. I’m heading to the resorts boards to check out your AKL review—we’ll be there next week.

OP here...

On to the rest of culinary stops,

Boma at AKL for Breakfast - 9:20 ish - We did not have a ADR, and decide just to check on our way before we opted to head into the park for something quick serve... We got lucky and were able to get a table and only waited 15 minutes to be called which I thought was pretty good for a walk up time... Once seated, our server came over and took our drink order, and we headed to the buffet... It was plentiful, pretty much anything you might want for breakfast was available... DH tried this meat pie - casserole - mixture stuff and he did like it... they had fried plantains, and they were so good and perfectly cooked... we both went back and got some more on our second round... There is a omelet station, we did not use it this trip... honestly there was one chef and a line of about 15+ people.. so we just skipped it... DH and I both like the fact you could toast your bread, it was toaster oven, where you set the bread or bagel on the conveyor belt and it pulls it through... I was so happy to see that they offered salmon and all the fixing capers, eggs, red onions, and tomatoes to make a proper bagel... I was also impressed with the yogurt and Fruit bar, lots of options here to be enjoyed... and of course Mickey waffles, with warm syrup... (35.00 per person, and we were able to use our AP holders discount for breakfast)... If I had to complain about something is the bacon... its always so thin like paper and no taste at all, and greasy... I will say that I am quite picky about bacon so that could just be me... Our server was good, she did keep up with refills and clearing the plates... I did feel that she was quite over whelmed with very large group that the kids where not being supervised, rude and running all over while the adults sat there oblivious to their behavior, finally one of the boys knock a little girl down from another table and she dropped her plate and the dad of the little girl said something to the boy... only then did the parents react to the behavior of the kids... Overall a great way to start the day, and we will return...

We had planned to go into MK after breakfast, and changed our plans... I had woken up with a terrible sinus headache, and thought that I could just push through it... DH and I wanted to check out the animal viewing area as the animals were out... so we did that, for a while and made the rounds through the resort lobby, and into the store... DH knew I wasn't feeling good, so we decided to head back to the room, and we laid back down... I took some more med's and I was out like a light... I woke up once to thunder, lighting and rain... and went right back to sleep...Once I woke up I was good to go...

Starlight Ray's - MK - 4:30 - we had skipped lunch... so we decided on a early dinner... and Ray's has alot of memories for us so we always have to eat here at least once. DH knew it was time for a burger, so he chose the Double 1/3 pounds Angus Bacon Cheeseburger with fries ( 16.99)... I will say that it did not look like a theme park burger, looked and smelled really good and he really enjoyed every bite of it... I decide on the Pulled Pork Sandwich with Slaw and fries ( 12.99) what I failed to read that they put the slaw on top of the pork, so that had to get scraped off... the slaw was that yellowish mustard, vinegar based slaw... which I truly dislike... so if your like me, make sure to tell them no slaw... Once that was dealt with I was back on track and it was very good... I will say that the restaurant is very busy, and the condiment bar was very clean... as well the table were being wiped off... so all good in that area... We will of course be back again...

After hitting several rides the rain started up again.... we just duck into Small World, and when we came out it was all over with... on to more rides...

Mara AKL - 11:00pm - We were starving so decided to stop in and get a bite to eat... DH was wanting pizza - and settled for a Pepperoni Flat bread... (9.49) which he was like it was okay... not great but not bad... somewhere in between... He said it was like a kids pizza, the sauce was bland and would not order it again... I decided on Hand carved turkey and avocado club, it came with coleslaw and fries...( 10.99) The turkey was really hand-carved not deli meat, and was moist and very tasty, plenty of turkey and the bacon was crispy which made the sandwich even better... this was a really good sandwich... the slaw was kinda strange tasting, almost like there was some type of fruit juice in the mix maybe pineapple juice, or something really sweet like that it was overpowering.. It really wasn't for me, not that it tasted terrible or anything, I guess I just wasn't in the mood for it... This sandwich might be shareable if your not starving... and just need a little something... Another spot that we would revisit...

Last edited:
Your anniversary dinner at Boathouse sounds amazing!! How kind of that family. A surprise getaway to Disney sounds amazing... think your husband is a keeper! :goodvibes

We have been together 18 years and married 16... we are still honeymooning.. or should I say Mickeymooning...

How nice, that family sharing their desserts for your anniversary.

Hope you had a great time, thanks for the report, enjoyed reading it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter