Rain, how does it effect rides, parades?

kjhgarden

Mouseketeer
I have been watching the weather at weather.com and Friday 10/13 it is supposed to rain, our first of two days at DL. I am bummed about this :sad2: !

If it is raining are there rides they have to close? Do they cancel the parades? I am sure the fireworks will be canceled.

When it says rain showers in Anaheim does that mean cloud bursts on and off or does it rain all day? Hoping the weather man is wrong.

Well, I know if there's thunder and lightning they'll close down many of the rides due to safety issues. When my partner and I went to go Jungle Cruise we were told they had just shut it down due to lightning. As for parades I'm sure they'd cancel those ones unless they already had started - then they'd have no choice but to finish. And you're right about the fireworks, they'd be cancelled.

...Joe...

kjhgarden said:
If it is raining are there rides they have to close? Do they cancel the parades? I am sure the fireworks will be canceled.

When it says rain showers in Anaheim does that mean cloud bursts on and off or does it rain all day? Hoping the weather man is wrong.

I wouldnt worry too much Kjhgarden...if and I mean IF it does rain it will be sparse....ive been there when it poured and all the inside rides were going...I can understand the water stuff because it could hurt you if lightening hit the water...can anyone say electrocution :scared1: but still, at this time of year I wouldnt worry too much... :thumbsup2

On our first trip to DL the weather forecast predicted rain for most of our trip. It did rain a little in the morning on our first day, but cleared up by lunch time. We had the best time! It did rain a little, but I guess because of the prediction of heavy rain, there was no one in the park. We walked on to every ride. Just take a rain poncho and have fun!

Alice in Wonderland and the tea cups some times close due to rain. NOw and then the rain will cause them to cancel a parade. F! also gets canceled due to rain. Wind seems to have more of an impact on the fireworks then the rain.

We were there in October last year and it rained almost every day. We never got to see the parade or fireworks. The only outdoor ride I remember being closed was the Tea Cups.

I've seen Dumbo closed before due to rain... but it has to be a lot of rain, not just sprinkling.

Parades, yes could be cancelled due to rain, Tea Cups, Jungle Cruise, I don't know exactly which other rides might.

DUDE, it hasnt rain for a few months :( I want rain!!!

Fireworks are the most sensative... weather needs to be PERFECT...

Lighting = every ride will be shut down...

This is a little off topic but we were there in Nov. 2002, the year that California had all of the rain, oh boy was it miserable! Main Street had to have had a foot of water. I'm not kidding! CM were sweeping the water down the drains. I don't think that I have ever been that wet. I now don't travel anywhere without a couple pairs of shoes. The parade got cancelled, and rides like the tea cups, Alice and wonderland were closed. I now laugh at the posts that say, if it is raining in DL go anyway! Being from Oregon I didn't think it would be a big deal, but we left :sad2: I don't think that mild rain would be bad though, our trip was out of the norm for weather. Buy a poncho and go for it if rain is forcasted!

me and my hubby went last sept. for our wedding/honeymoon and it rained/had a lightning and thunder storm a couple days and we loved it! once it starts raining, most people automatically leave. the diehards stick around. makes for really nice pictures too.. (wish we could have gotten a pic of lightning right above the castle)

only a few rides really were closed. didn't really have much of an issue with flooding except around new orleans square and adventureland. that's about it.

Thanks for the posts, I am not so worried anymore. I went and bought ponchos for everyone last night. I think if it is not heavy of rain we will be able to stick it out. I also think I will rent a locker and put a change of clothes in it for everyone in case we get soaked. We also have Ariel's Grotto ressies Friday for 2:30 outdoor seating. Does anyone know if the tables outside have umbrellas?

We sat inside at Ariel's but if I remember correctly (it was dark outside), I thought the outside was actually a giant covered patio - I think you will be fine!!

We were there in January and got caught in a rainstorm. Then we sported the Mickey Mouse ponchos along with 80% of other park guests. There was no lightning, so I didn't notice any ride closures. The best part about it was that the crowds were sparse that day due to the weather, and it was a Saturday.

We are going the same time as you, and I have also been watching the weather. It looks like now it's only supposed to rain on Friday, and that is a 40% chance of rain, so I'm keeping my hopes up! We have been there in the rain, and I don't mind it. Of course, we are from Seattle, so we just don the rain gear and head out. It seems like the parks are much less crowded when there is a threat of rain!

Hate to be the only one to disagree, but going with small kids/strollers in the rain is no picnic. It rained (poured) most of our trip in February and I had a 5, 2, and 4 month old. Not fun! Trying to keep the stroller dry was a pain, even with the ponchos we threw over it. Plus the park really didn't clear out all that much, we must have had a lot of die hards that day.

I guess I must be the only one but I HATE wearing a poncho. It gets all steamy and sticky underneath, and it's the worst feeling with plastic over your head, atleast for me. It just was not fun for me at all. Now if I was alone or with all grownups, I could care less and would be on Splash Mountain 10 times in a row. But it just makes it really hard with little kids which I notice you have.

Good luck, but I will pray for no rain for you!

Andrea

I totally agree having kids in the rain is not a good thing. For our Nov rain storm trip my DD was 18 months at the time, I thought she was dry, come to find out that under her 2 ponchos and her coat and an umbrella she was soaked as well. I couldn't figure out why her teeth were chattering until I figured out she was wet. Poor thing!

I figured with littles ones rain would not be fun. So hoping for good weather but with just a threat as to keep away crowds. Is there a good place to hang out with littles ones to pass the time while a storm passes through? So the older kids could keep going.

There are a few places. Any of the 3-D movies if your kids will tolerate those! Innoventions is another sure bet. Also if you get on the railroad and stay on. Just remember if you go on anything, cover your stroller or you will not be using it when you get out because it will be soaked.

We got stuck in the Jungle Cruise entrance overhang for about 30 minutes till it let up enough for me to even run across to get ponchos at the Bazaar store. I just didn't want to take the stroller out in it because if it got soaked, I had no other option and I couldn't carry 2 little ones all the way back to the hotel!

I am sure some others will have good rainy day ideas. We get there a few days after you so I hope the weather is good!

Andrea

I also love if it rains there and it seems to every time we have went in Oct-Nov. and it always cuts down the crowds. I hope your trip is great in any weather! :banana:

So far, our local weatherforecasters have down graded the rain to 30%. Usually that means we don't get much, if any. That being said, if it rains, the difference between rain here, and rain in WDW (we were just there last month) is that our rain is cold! For the most part only outside rides close down, like Alice in Wonderland, Tea Cups, etc.

If you're going to DLR and DCA, the Animation building at DCA is a good place to be during rain. There's enough to do there for an hour or more. Turtle Talk with Crush is great! Also, if the timing is right, the Alladin show is indoors and lasts 45 min. It's also a must see!

Have fun.

(we're going tomorrow-my DD has a min. day!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter