Rain and Disney parks with cerebral palsy

Disneynerdz16

Earning My Ears
How fast can you walk in rain with cerebral palsy and needing your 14 year old brother to help you with rain puddles?

Finally sun is out! Is the rain gone?

Never tried it at Disney. The way my CP works, I can walk around the house or most buildings without mobility devices no problem, but I can only walk nonstop for about a block. Even with crutches that only extends to about 3 blocks. I’d never attempt Disney without my wheelchair.

Rain stinks with CP. When everyone is speeding up in when you need to slow down to stay safe.

Never tried it at Disney. The way my CP works, I can walk around the house or most buildings without mobility devices no problem, but I can only walk nonstop for about a block. Even with crutches that only extends to about 3 blocks. I’d never attempt Disney without my wheelchair.

Rain stinks with CP. When everyone is speeding up in when you need to slow down to stay safe.

Same. Disney is strictly a Scooter/Powerchair only trip for me. Plus you gotta worry about people complaining that you’re not moving fast enough.

Plus you gotta worry about people complaining that you’re not moving fast enough.

Never had that problem when using my manual chair. People usually complain that I move too fast for them. 😏

Come to think of it, I get the same complaint when I'm using forearm crutches too. Though, I tend to skip when I'm using those. PTs hate that, but I know what I'm doing and walking them is just annoying. Actually walking the crutches doesn't extend my range nearly as much, and it slows me down too much as well.

No but I had years of physical therapy to help me get off of mobility devices though

Disney is one place I would recommend thinking about making an exception to that. I don't use mobility devices at home or at work, but for anything where I would be on my feet for long periods of time like theme parks, conventions, or trade shows, I always use my wheelchair. It just makes these more enjoyable experiences all around.

Just because you can do something without help, doesn't mean you have to. Especially if not using the tools available means that at the end of the day you are going to be in pain and exhausted. I can do a three day fan convention with just my crutches, but I'd be out of commission for a couple of days afterwords. With my wheelchair, I can enjoy that convention and then head into work on Monday without thinking anything of it. Big difference.

No but I had years of physical therapy to help me get off of mobility devices though

I have had *years* of PT - all aimed at keeping me up, on my feet, mobile, using the minimal amount of assistive devices possible.

At WDW, all of that is out the window.

First of all, the *average* Guest walks between 3 &10 mile *per day*. How far can you walk unassisted before it takes a serious toll on you?

Then let's talk about pain management. As in, if you don't stay ahead of your pain, and you get into what my PT calls a "pain spiral", you can ruin your entire trip to WDW before breakfast on the second day.

And last but not least, how does it benefit you to (potentially) wind up back at physical therapy after Disney World, because you didn't want to use the best available tool? (which in this case is an ECV).

Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to, right? Everyone has had that experience. And using an ECV (or whatever mobility device or assistance is appropriate for you) falls into that category. You are still at Disney World, even if you have to use a scooter - you are still where *thousands* of other people wish and dream and pray to be every single day. 🙂

I have had *years* of PT - all aimed at keeping me up, on my feet, mobile, using the minimal amount of assistive devices possible.

First of all, the *average* Guest walks between 3 &10 mile *per day*. How far can you walk unassisted before it takes a serious toll on you?

Then let's talk about pain management. As in, if you don't stay ahead of your pain, and you get into what my PT calls a "pain spiral", you can ruin your entire trip to WDW before breakfast on the second day.

And last but not least, how does it benefit you to (potentially) wind up back at physical therapy after Disney World, because you didn't want to use the best available tool? (which in this case is an ECV).

Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to, right? Everyone has had that experience. And using an ECV (or whatever mobility device or assistance is appropriate for you) falls into that category. You are still at Disney World, even if you have to use a scooter - you are still where *thousands* of other people wish and dream and pray to be every single day. 🙂
8 hours a day walking around Disney parks doesn’t matter which one though.. my pain management is high but my energy takes a toll through out and needs 10+ hours of sleep to get through any day.

My case is mild enough it is barely visble to most people. My foot does turn sideways almost like a duck

My case is mild enough it is barely visble to most people. My foot does turn sideways almost like a duck

My daughter was born with bilateral club feet, and even with the best care from birth (Shriner's Hospitals) she still has visible issues, although they are not as noticeable to others who aren't looking for them. (If that makes sense)

How was your trip? I hope you made some great memories! 🙂

Never had that problem when using my manual chair. People usually complain that I move too fast for them. 😏

Come to think of it, I get the same complaint when I'm using forearm crutches too. Though, I tend to skip when I'm using those. PTs hate that, but I know what I'm doing and walking them is just annoying. Actually walking the crutches doesn't extend my range nearly as much, and it slows me down too much as well.

PTs probably hate it when you "skip" with the crutches as there's that point where all your weight is on the crutches and you are at a greater risk of wiping out and getting really hurt.

My daughter was born with bilateral club feet, and even with the best care from birth (Shriner's Hospitals) she still has visible issues, although they are not as noticeable to others who aren't looking for them. (If that makes sense)

How was your trip? I hope you made some great memories! 🙂

Great! Fun couple weeks off of work that I remember from the trip! It was an 2019 Christmas/new year holiday trip we saw family while visiting Florida but the only bummer thing that did happen was the first day we got there our shower door in hour hotel room exploded on my dad and teenage little brother! They are completely fine. Just took us couple hours of our day to switch rooms to get that fixed and switch over back after it was fixed. 4 days stay there was comped and we got free snacks and ears while there! It sounded like a gunshot! I didn’t hear that cuz I’m deaf without the use of my hearing aid;) some good thing I have cuz I can’t hear my dad’s snoring😏

How fast can you walk in rain with cerebral palsy and needing your 14 year old brother to help you with rain puddles?

Finally sun is out! Is the rain gone?

There is no answer to this cp is a spectrum, mine is super mild others with more severe might needca wheel chair

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter