Rafiki's Planet Watch

I'm surprised that they are going to reopen it. I figured they would use the area for a new ride/attraction.

Does anyone know how much area Rafiki’s uses?

Planet Watch is 11 acres. The train uses 12.5 acres. And there is a 32 acre plot between Planet Watch, the train, Maharajah, and Kali.

Planet Watch is 11 acres. The train uses 12.5 acres. And there is a 32 acre plot between Planet Watch, the train, Maharajah, and Kali.

That is a lot of real estate. I'm shocked that they haven't done something else with it.

That is a lot of real estate. I'm shocked that they haven't done something else with it.

Well Animal Kingdom is huge (largest park on the planet at 580 acres), they have lots of places they could put more stuff if they wanted.

Well Animal Kingdom is huge (largest park on the planet at 580 acres), they have lots of places they could put more stuff if they wanted.
But isn't most of AK habitat and land that's yet to be built on that's been ringfenced for future AK expansion?

But isn't most of AK habitat and land that's yet to be built on that's been ringfenced for future AK expansion?

Most is not guest accessible. But the land is there, and not all available for expansions.

“Starting October 21, Rafiki’s Planet Watch and Wildlife Express will not be available to Guests. We anticipate reopening Rafiki’s Planet Watch and Wildlife Express for Guests in Spring 2019, with more details to come. In the meantime, we will be taking a closer look at the offering to determine what would be most meaningful to our Guests as well as what fits best within the overall park experience.”
This makes it sounds like they planned to close it for good ... and maybe due to feedback, all of a sudden decided to reopen it .. but really don't have plans yet what to do with it (or if/how to change it).

I'm excited that Disney announced the change. I'll admit that I don't spend that much time there, so I don't mind if they make some updates. I just like the idea of possibly being able to see a surgery there. And the train is a nice touch. It just fits more with the general theme of the park to have this place in there.

This makes it sounds like they planned to close it for good ... and maybe due to feedback, all of a sudden decided to reopen it .. but really don't have plans yet what to do with it (or if/how to change it).
Maybe Disney is executing the "new Coke" strategy? :) I can't think that many folks even heard the rumor of the closing. Of that small number, a small percentage complained. I do WANT to believe that Disney responded to a groundswell of protest from the little folks, though.

Maybe they were trying to boost interest in it .... seems like nothing gets Disney fans more into something than saying you are closing it (other than Stitch)

It's not like they're saving a ton of money by closing it to the public. They still have to keep it open for the animals.

I wasn't thinking about going for my next trip in November, but you better believe that I'll be there in 2019 when it re-opens.

At first I thought it might dovetail into the rumored transportation project from AKL to AK. However, geography shows that idea doesn't make a lot of sense.

I’ve come to reconcile the fact that there are so many things I like at WDW that are uncrowded and a part of why I like them is that they are uncrowded, and this inevitably puts them on the chopping block ( miss you Ellen’s, yay that Carousel of Progress is hanging in there). I’m always conscious that many of my likes could be gone by next visit. So hearing that Rafiki’s, which I really like and my science loving eight year old and Doc McStuffins loving 3 year old both adore, should be open for our visit next spring is just awesome.

It's not like they're saving a ton of money by closing it to the public. They still have to keep it open for the animals.

I wasn't thinking about going for my next trip in November, but you better believe that I'll be there in 2019 when it re-opens.

They do save by not running the train and between character meets and the Wilderness Explotters stuff and just general things quite a few CM positions not needed

But yeah, do have the areas that have the animals and for animal care that will have to stay open

Is it possible Disney is considering cutting back on the animals at the park? I’m sure they are a large expense. Then they could close that area.

Is it possible Disney is considering cutting back on the animals at the park? I’m sure they are a large expense. Then they could close that area.
No, the area will still be used for animal care. Even if they had less animals you need animal care facilities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!